YJ or TJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > YJ or TJ?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
Wpmclam
1994 YJ Wrangler 

YJ or TJ?

I don't want to start a war but I'm looking to get my first wrangler but don't know much about them. What would be the pros/cons of YJ's vs TJ's?

Wpmclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've had both, liked both, and 1995 YJ and now a 2006 TJ.

The thing I didn't like about my YJ was the rear D35, but it was pretty easy to work on, which was nice. I was about to do an axle swap when I located my TJ Rubicon, which is something I had always wanted, so I opted to buy the Rubicon and sell the YJ. The TJ has a bit more creature comfort than the YJ did, but there was something nice about the rough quality of the YJ. The coil suspension gives a bit nicer road ride, but I never had an issue with leafs off road. If you go YJ don't go any older than a 95, they were, in my opinion, the best year of the YJ.

TJ's have round headlights, therefore they are far superior than YJ's.

Sometimes I wish I had both the Jeeps, but I don't regret "stepping up" to the TJ.

Then:

Now:

I don't think you can really go wrong with either choice, both are quality rides.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Summed up nicely. I would say that the Yj is a little easier to beat on off road because you're not so afraid of breaking it. You can just go buy another one and keep going. Or you can be like me and constantly throw money at your Yj until you have the capability of a TJ rubicon.
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
Wpmclam
1994 YJ Wrangler 

How does the JK compare?
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:47 PM   #5
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpmclam View Post
How does the JK compare?
Bigger, wider, more room, a V6 (2 actually), more creature comforts, parts cost a lot more.....a lot more, more plastic in the design. They have beefier D44's than TJ's do. You can mount 35's with less mods....but as I mentioned it'll probably cost you more to do so.

JK's do look pretty nice with 37's on them though.....if you can afford all that.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
Wpmclam
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I like the older jeeps but its a lot of money for a 2nd hand jeep.
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I had a Tj and a Yj. I sold them both but regret selling the Yj there was something about that jeep

Sent from iPhoneusing JeepForum
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I like the ride of a TJ, but it still ain't a YJ.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #9
Steve707
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Buy a YJ and come hang out with us in the YJ section.
Steve707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #10
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Ya save a YJ!
It will love you for it.
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:58 AM   #11
VBRubicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've had both also. It's pretty much a question of coils vs. leafs and your budget. If I had the money and/or it was going to be a dailey driver, tj would be my choice. If it was going to be a second or third vehicle and/or money was a quesion at all, I'd go YJ.

Coils are going to be superior to leafs both on and off road, but they're expensive and complicated relative to leafs. Leafs are much easier and cheaper which saves you more time and $$ to have fun with it.

....unless you happen to be my mother who doesn't believe in square head lights in which case it isn't a question

Mr. Madison, what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
VBRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:03 AM   #12
Renegade88
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
I had a Tj and a Yj. I sold them both but regret selling the Yj there was something about that jeep

Sent from iPhoneusing JeepForum
Same here I never thought I would miss my 92 Renegade like I have I would do anything to have it back. I enjoy my LJ but I don't get comments and thumbs up as much. I loved working on my YJ it seems like everything I do on my LJ it throws a damn CEL or other bs.

PanhandlePierFishing.com
Renegade88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #13
VBRubicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's totally a personal taste thing and of course no offense to you at all Renegade, but the renegade YJs with the total wrap around flares like that have got to be the ugliest Jeeps ever created. Every time I see one I'm like "WHY CHRYSLER!?!?!".

That said, they are different/unique I guess....

And other than the skirt it's wearing, that is one nice looking YJ man!! HA!!!

Mr. Madison, what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #14
Renegade88
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBRubicon View Post
It's totally a personal taste thing and of course no offense to you at all Renegade, but the renegade YJs with the total wrap around flares like that have got to be the ugliest Jeeps ever created. Every time I see one I'm like "WHY CHRYSLER!?!?!".

That said, they are different/unique I guess....

And other than the skirt it's wearing, that is one nice looking YJ man!! HA!!!
LOL yeah I thought the same when I bought it the flares grew on me though. As Jp magazine put it its like a pimp coat for the YJ.

PanhandlePierFishing.com
Renegade88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #15
VBRubicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hahahha, that is a nice analogy.

Yeah, I was about to ask if it would grow on you. And I have to say that it's much better in black than any of the other colors they made them.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.