YJ Skid Plate Bolt Center to Center Dimensions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > YJ Skid Plate Bolt Center to Center Dimensions

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-18-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Skid Plate Bolt Center to Center Dimensions

What are the correct center-to-center dimensions for the six skid plate to frame mounting bolts (three on each side) for a YJ? If it matters, 1990 4.2 and AX-15.

plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I donít have the answer for you but am really curious why you need that info. Are you making something?
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
I don’t have the answer for you but am really curious why you need that info. Are you making something?
My tranny is out and so I am taking the opportunity to repair rust damaged sections of my skid plate. More properly, I am putting right the horribly bodged rust repair by the PO. The inverted towers that the mounting bolts go thru collect water on the undersides, since it is cup-shaped. Then the skid plate rusts where the bolts seat. The PO crudely tacked - and BRAZED! - washers to 'fix' it. The tacks did nothing and the braze set up electrolysis, so what was left corroded faster. The bolts have a chamfer and he used a flat washer - dumb.

All six needed attention and the center two are the worst. Just an island of a washer with braze around it floating in a sea of nothingness.

My Jeep is being repaired a 100 miles or so from where I am (the skid plate is here with me) so I would like the measurements to make sure that I have the centers lined up properly for the repair, which is entailing building up the sides of the volcano from good metal from good metal on the skid plate to a solid spacer that will then get chamfered to accept the chamfer on the bolt.

I need to finish this welding tonight or tomorrow, so I could really use those measurements if someone can send them along.
Unread 06-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I donít have the answer for you but am really curious why you need that info. Are you making something?
My tranny is out and so I am taking the opportunity to repair rust damaged sections of my skid plate. More properly, I am putting right the horribly bodged rust repair by the PO. The inverted towers that the mounting bolts go thru collect water on the undersides, since it is cup-shaped. Then the skid plate rusts where the bolts seat. The PO crudely tacked - and BRAZED! - washers to 'fix' it. The tacks dis nothing and the braze set up electrolysis, so what was left corroded faster. The bolts have a chamfer and he used a flat washer - dumb.

All six needed attention and the center two are the worst. Just an island of a washer with braze around it floating in a sea of nothingness.

My Jeep is being repaired a 100 miles or so from where I am (with the skid plate) so I would like the measurements to make sure that I have the centers lined up properly for the repair, which wis entailing building up the sides of the volcano from good metal from good metal on the skid plate to a solid spacer that will then get chamfered to accept the chamfer on the bolt.
Unread 06-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here are some pictures.

This is one ot the two skid bolt center bolt locations. Note the daylight. There is nothing there. The center bolts were doing nothing. The PO 'repaired' the original corrosion in the area by brazing a flat washer over the corroded skid plate. This made it corrode even faster. Two dissimilar metals - in this case steel and brass - plus moisture plus road salt make a battery. Galvanism (or electrolysis) occurs and the steel is sacrificial to the brass. So the braze looks good as new; only problem is that it is not connecting to anything.

img00569-20110618-1740.jpg

Here is one of the corner locations in the process of being properly repaired. Good steel was welded from sound metal on the skid plate to a solid spacer. In this photo the weld is not completely ground to smooth it out and the chamfer in the spacer (to accept the chamfer on the mounting bolts) is not yet done.

img00570-20110618-1740.jpg

Since the four corner bolt locations were not too badly corroded, I was able to get everything in the right location. Both center bolt locations on the skid plate are completely free - these were the ones the PO brazed. So sonce my Jeep is far far away, before I complete the repair on the center bolt locations I want to make sure that everything is in the right place.
Unread 06-18-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Wow, what a hack job. I fully understand your concern now. Could you possibly call where your jeep is and get the dimensions from there? Also, did you post this in the YJ forum yet? That would probably get you a faster answer. Good luck.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Wow, what a hack job. I fully understand your concern now. Could you possibly call where your jeep is and get the dimensions from there? Also, did you post this in the YJ forum yet? That would probably get you a faster answer. Good luck.
No one at the shop where my Jeep is until Monday. I want to have the skid plate done by then. And thank you for pointing out that I posted to the wrong forum.
Unread 06-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #8
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Check your thread in YJ Tech.

Left you a Father's Day present...

Friends don't let friends roll over without a negative-G strap

Feetwet's Ford 8.8 Axle Teardown/Rebuild/Install

AX5 Output Shaft Seal Replacement

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install
Feetwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #9
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feetwet View Post
Check your thread in YJ Tech.

Left you a Father's Day present...
Got it! Thanks again.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.