YJ DD versus full size Bronco DD? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > YJ DD versus full size Bronco DD?

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-08-2015, 02:32 PM   #1
lincolnmatthews
1987 YJ Wrangler 

YJ DD versus full size Bronco DD?

Before I get "flamed Off" this forum....I want to say that I am keeping my old YJ that has been my DD for a couple of yrs. I love my Jeep & tow it at times behind my Truck & camper. But for a daily driver that I could take on an occasional 1000 mile trip, I was thinking about a 96 Bronco. A little more comfort & more room.
I can't spend what they want for a new 4-door Wrangler & wouldn't being Fiat built. But for a lot less money you can find an old Bronco. Besides I like the older rigs & 2-doors.
Anybody ever owned a full size Bronco? I know they have there issues to such as cracking around the rain gutters etc. I was just looking for an objective opinion out there. (There is a 78 Bronco that's appears really nice but its probably to old for a driver??)
I know this is a Jeep forum, but figured I'd get more honest feedback versus the Bronco forum, thanks, let it begin!!

lincolnmatthews is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2015, 12:18 PM   #2
JLH
2015 JK Wrangler 

If you end up getting something from the early to mid 90's just know some of the electrical and emissions equipment can be dicey. The manufacturers hadn't figured out all the emissions and EFI details back then. Just me personally, I would gut most of the electrical and install something similar to the Holley Terminator EFI system. Then you need to address the transmission, coolant system, drive shafts, U-joints, ball joints, suspension, diff fluids, brakes, steering system, tires, etc. We are talking about a 20 year old vehicle here. You will be looking at a few thousand to recondition the major mechanical systems to get it up to reliable DD standards.
Unread 01-09-2015, 02:49 PM   #3
boduke5051
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Might get lucky if you shop carefully and patiently. I see quite a few of the 90's Bronco's around here being DD'd. There's a couple that look to be turds sure, but most of the ones I see around here look to be in pretty good shape as I see them in traffic. I wouldn't see anything wrong with one as a DD, personally I prefer older vehicles as well. My last 3 before I got my YJ were an 86 S-10 Blazer, 88 Suburban, and an 88 Yota single cab. All with 4wd, and I drove the crap out of them every day. Just got my 90 YJ back in November, and it's now my DD. Just gotta shop carefully, and be fairly decent with keeping up an older vehicle. If you've been DD'ng an 87 YJ for a couple of years, I don't see that being a problem though.
Unread 01-13-2015, 12:55 PM   #4
GrassLakeRon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Full size bronco has the same wb length as an LJ. I owned a 1990 as a daily driver. It got 14 mpg. The transmission was the weak link. If I had the money I would build a 1978 to go with my LJ and live a long happy life with the two.
GrassLakeRon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.