yj body lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > yj body lift

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 11-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
venturaf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

yj body lift

I have a 1990 yj with a four inch lift and i just got 33 tires noticed that it rubs now. so was looking for a body lift didn't want to go to big but came across on a 3inch for a good deal. now im ready to install but have never done it so i was wondering if i would get some pointers, tips maybe some pics?? thanks

venturaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
kellyII
2009 JK Wrangler 

thats a big body lift to say the least. I personally would not want a 3 inch BL. Its not a big job, You will need a floor jack and some 4x4's. Loosen all the bolts on the tub and you can even take all of them out on one side. DONT take the ones on the oposite side all the way out, leave atleast 2 barely in.

Once you get them loosened, just jack up the body just enough to get the BL on, start on the drivers side and then do the passenger side. Dont tighten all the bolts up until you get both sides on. Not too big of a job..

Sorry no pics though
kellyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
venturaf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

cool i wasn't expecting to get a 3 either but i was only 60 bucks. its there anything i have to extend o will everything still fit the same? one thing i have big question on is the two front little body bumpers on the front corners i cant really see how they come out or be replaced..
Unread 11-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #4
Mitchness
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Your fuel fill lines may or may not need to be lengthened and your hard brake lines might need to be rebent a little, but it shouldn't be too big a problem. The front grille rubber bushing things pop off a stud on the grille. Just gotta wiggle the **** out of them to get 'em off.

I too would recommend against a 3 inch lift. $60 isn't worth the inherent danger associated with that much BL.
Mitchness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Your gas filler hoses will need to be longer, and you will have a hard time shifting. Other things will have to be extended, will end up costing a lot more than it's worth. I would not do it either, 1" would have been enough to stop tire rub.

1980 CJ-7 Mall crawler (RIP 2010)
1983 CJ-8 Scrambler Full resto in progress
1988 YJ Fully Built but never Done

Xtremjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
venturaf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

will i roll being that hi?
Unread 11-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #7
Mitchness
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Potentially. Your COG will be slightly higher so it's technically a possibility, but you should have a feeling for that with a 4" lift already. The worst case scenario with that much body lift is the body bolts shearing off under extreme stress and the tub goes with it. If your lift came with only grade 5 bolts it might be worth it to replace them with grade 8 just for extra assurance. I still wouldn't lift the body that high though.
Unread 11-16-2010, 02:05 AM   #8
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

How bad are you rubbing, I am running a 2-1/2" lift w/ a 1" BL, TJ flares and no rubbing w/ 33's

White Jeep Club #224
plumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 09:45 AM   #9
CopperHead_Road
1995 YJ Wrangler 

OP you are getting some good advice. I just wanted to add my 2 cents. We did a 2" bodylift this past weekend during one of our Jeep club's tech days. It was on a 95 YJ. This is what I can give you based on doing a BL recently....

On a 2" or 3" body lift, you are going to have to address the brake lines, gas filler tubes, lower the radiator, adjust the steering shaft, lengthen the vacum hose to the brake booster, extend the shifters (possibly open up the shift hole in the tunnel to get a full throw). Not to mention the safty concerns.

My YJ has a 2" bodylift on it from the PO. The first thing I did was replace the crap bolts with grade8 bolts and then I checked all of the other things that I have listed above to see what kind of work was done.

Your best bet would be a 3/4 to 1" shackle lift (if you are currently running the stock shackles) and/or a 1" body lift and/or you could trim your flares or change to TJ flares. This would keep you tires from rubbing. Bumpstops may be an option also.

Search the forum, there is a lot of info/write-ups on all of the options listed above.

Be Safe,

CH_R
Unread 11-18-2010, 10:52 PM   #10
venturaf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for all the info i have not installed it yet do to the concerns.. as far as rubbing a am running the 4inch suspention lift with 33 and stock shackles and the tires started to rub through the fenders on the inner curve of the wheel well. i just bought best top high rock fender flares to replace.
Unread 11-18-2010, 11:18 PM   #11
StvDiego

If all else, cut the lift blocks cleanly and squarely in half, or thirds for that matter, and do a 1.5 or 1" lift. The right bolts are easy to find and you'll still be ahead
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 12:21 AM   #12
venturaf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

ok so i did a little more looking in to the kit i bought looking up the part number online and according to the box that says part number 932 from dick cepek is for a 2inch but when i measure the actual blocks the tape says 3..
Unread 11-19-2010, 07:56 AM   #13
CopperHead_Road
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaf View Post
ok so i did a little more looking in to the kit i bought looking up the part number online and according to the box that says part number 932 from dick cepek is for a 2inch but when i measure the actual blocks the tape says 3..
That kit may take into account removing the stock body bushings off of the Jeep. They are usally about 3/4" thick. So, a 3" bodylift puck would give you about 2" when you swap them out with the stock bushings.

Then again, I live in the mountains and sip (non-taxed) corn whiskey for a living.... I may not know what the heck I am talking about..lol

Later,

CH_R
Unread 11-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #14
Mitchness
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperHead_Road View Post
Then again, I live in the mountains and sip (non-taxed) corn whiskey for a living.... I may not know what the heck I am talking about... lol
Oh, that's definitely getting sigged.
Unread 11-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #15
mudmovers
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchness View Post
Oh, that's definitely getting sigged.
Haha, excellent thought. Almost fell over when I read that one too.
As with everyone else, I wouldn't recommend that tall of a BL either. Too many other headaches created, as well as the safety/leverage issue. The most I would install is a 1", and even then I'd be looking to trim instead.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.