The wrong type of buyer? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > The wrong type of buyer?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 06-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #16
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Few first-time Jeep buyers know anything about them until they've owned them for a while.
I can attest to that.

I can also attest to the fact that many Jeep sellers think they can recover all the money they put into their rig "plus labor". Not gonna happen.

I've been looking for a new project and I can't believe the number of people who say "I don't really need to sell it so I'm asking XXXXX" or "I've got over $10k invested in it, I can't take less than $12k". If you're going to sell it, sell it, but don't ask some outrageous price because you put a boat load of time and cash into it. Check the market and sell it for a comparable price. If you truly don't have to sell it, or are too attached to it to sell it, put it back in the garage.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #17
Turp
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPNBST View Post
Are you serious? I'd be suing my bank for pulling that sh*t. If they call me two weeks after the funds show in my account and then pull it they'd hear from a lawyer. It's up to them To verify legitimacy prior to putting the funds in my account. That's what putting the funds in my account means. It means it cleared.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
Actually, the law states that they have to make the funds available to you in a reasonable amount of time (usually a week). Unfortunately, it often takes longer than a week for money orders, foreign checks, etc., to clear. If the bank waits until the check actually clears, they are violating the law and will get fined heavily. If they make the funds available, then tell you the check didn't clear, you can't sue them as they did nothing wrong by law. Sucks, but that's reality.
Correct JEK3

It happened to me on a small transaction and the bank also charged a fee to me.
Turp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #18
RIPNBST
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turp View Post
Correct JEK3

It happened to me on a small transaction and the bank also charged a fee to me.
HAHA, If this is the case, which it does sound like it is and I don't doubt the truthfulness of your posts, I'd at least be calling the local news station to attempt to shame said bank for this nonsense.

In case you haven't noticed, I dislike banking institutions. Only after the disgrace the banking industry has become in recent history has this become the case.
RIPNBST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #19
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPNBST View Post
In case you haven't noticed, I dislike banking institutions. Only after the disgrace the banking industry has become in recent history has this become the case.
Yep. Our money is being safeguarded by a bunch of crooks!
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #20
EagleRiverDee
2011 JK Wrangler 

That Craigslist scam mentioned earlier is serious. They will often try to play on your heartstrings- "I'm a deployed soldier in Afghanistan..." and then proceed to talk to you about how they'll get you the funds and their buddy will come pick it up. And yes, your bank has every right to pull the money back out of your account if it doesn't clear, same as they do with any check. Cash is the only way to go. It's on you to be vigilant and not get scammed.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 08:42 AM   #21
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
That Craigslist scam mentioned earlier is serious. They will often try to play on your heartstrings- "I'm a deployed soldier in Afghanistan..." and then proceed to talk to you about how they'll get you the funds and their buddy will come pick it up. And yes, your bank has every right to pull the money back out of your account if it doesn't clear, same as they do with any check. Cash is the only way to go. It's on you to be vigilant and not get scammed.
Awwm an that's a new scam? I am deployed and I guess trying to explain why my GF has to pick item X up isn't going to fly anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Case in point, only deal in cash and with your firearm within close proximity.
Yeah because:
1. People always carry around a suitcase or duffle bag full of money
2. Your gun will make the deal go smooth

OP:

When dealing with "cash". One process I have used is to buy the vehicle, boat etc is to write the personal check and then pick it up after it has cleared. Nobody wants to let someone drive away without the money in your account and nobody believes in honesty anymore either. If they don't want to give you a check without the keys in their hands, oh well.
Unread 06-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #22
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Cash or a bank draft. Drafts get cashed at their bank, then keys handed over.

If you have the funds to cover a personal cheque, no reason you can't bring the cash.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #23
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
Cash or a bank draft. Drafts get cashed at their bank, then keys handed over.

If you have the funds to cover a personal cheque, no reason you can't bring the cash.
I use USAA. They have no banks. I can have however much in the bank but I can't just go withdrawal 10k like its cool.
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #24
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Those type of buyers need to be in a jk!!
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #25
Dumpsterfish

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout
cash or a bank draft. Drafts get cashed at their bank, then keys handed over.

this
'13 JKUS...SOLD
Dumpsterfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #26
Dumpsterfish

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Though I did once sell an IS350 for cash. Made me frickin sweat to see THAT much cash being counted out...we did the deal at a bank managers desk.
'13 JKUS...SOLD
Unread 07-02-2013, 12:01 AM   #27
auburnhunter
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOKIES2010 View Post
I use USAA. They have no banks. I can have however much in the bank but I can't just go withdrawal 10k like its cool.
Call them directly, they can increase your ATM limit (usually $600) temporarily for just a few hours. I once got $7000 out of several ATMs to buy a truck. USAA has the best customer service EVER, you can always get a person on the phone.
Unread 07-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #28
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell
Those type of buyers need to be in a jk!!
What the **** does it have to do with a JK?
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #29
Dumpsterfish

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOKIES2010

What the **** does it have to do with a JK?
Jks aren't real jeeps compared to TJs. Which aren't real jeeps compared to YJs. Which aren't real jeeps compared to Cjs. Which aren't real jeeps compared to Willys. Which aren't real jeeps either, compared to covered wagons.
'13 JKUS...SOLD
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #30
horaceunit
2013 JK Wrangler 

OP- just out of curiosity- year, mileage, asking price or a ballpark figure?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.