Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Which Wrangler to lease?

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Niwre 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I want to lease my first ever Jeep, but there are several Wrangler's model. I want to know which one will fit better in my case:

I have 2 young kids.
I want the 4 doors option.
I want to do some easy trails with the family.
I will have another vehicle for long trips.

Thanks everyone!

#3 ·
Leasing? I'd shy away from that. If you decide to buy after the lease you generally pay more. If you want the Jeep. just commit and buy it.

With that said, The Rubicon is a favorite amongst a lot of Jeepers. It's capable right out of the gate, but you'll pay a premium for it. On the other end of the spectrum is the Sport model which is the basic stripped down version. Still a capable and great Jeep though. I bought a Sahara which is generally referred to as a country club Jeep because they cram a lot of "luxury" stuff into it. Personally, I like the ride in my Sahara better than the Rubicon. A lot of Special Edition Jeeps are based off of the Sport model as well, so look around, drive a few, see where the numbers are, and make the jump. What works for me likely won't work for you.

ETA: I have a 3yr old and 9yr old who ride in my JKU-S with me. The 3yr olds car seat requires the front seat to be pushed forward a tad so if you have a tall person in the passenger seat it may get cramped. Booster seats aren't an issue. I wouldn't think of putting car seats into a 2 door JK. Plus, the storage space in a JKU makes it worth while.

#4 ·
Leasing? I'd shy away from that. If you decide to buy after the lease you generally pay more. If you want the Jeep. just commit and buy it.
Even if you don't it is still stupid as you have restrictions and will ALWAYS be paying. But, if the numbers work out for you, more power to ya.

Anyways, the sport is the cheapest, and will do all the stuff you want to do. Sahara is a bit more luxury, Rubicon is for hard core off road. Like previously mentioned, there are a lot of in between models as well

#5 ·
Thanks for your answers. I'm considering leasing instead of buying because for around $300/mo I can lease a 2016 Wrangler loaded.

As I said before, this will be my first one, and I don't know about mechanics at all, meaning that if a buy a used one I may have some trouble at the beginning. Also, I'm moving to a new city (Indy) and don't know any mechanics there.

So far, I understand that the Freedom Or Willys Unlimited are the best option for me, they are in the middle of the pack.

Another question that I have, is about choosing automatic or mechanic transmission, is there any difference in how we feel the driving in the trails?

#9 ·
Thanks for your answers. I'm considering leasing instead of buying because for around $300/mo I can lease a 2016 Wrangler loaded.

As I said before, this will be my first one, and I don't know about mechanics at all, meaning that if a buy a used one I may have some trouble at the beginning. Also, I'm moving to a new city (Indy) and don't know any mechanics there.

So far, I understand that the Freedom Or Willys Unlimited are the best option for me, they are in the middle of the pack.

Another question that I have, is about choosing automatic or mechanic transmission, is there any difference in how we feel the driving in the trails?
I don't see how we can answer this for you because the few things you mentioned (you've got 2 kids, want a four door) are common to all the Unlimiteds.

Everything is based on one of three platforms:

Sport - more stripped down, ready to be accessorized.

Sahara - more luxurious

Rubi - most off-road ready.

The rest of the special editions area based on these. If it's based on the Sport you usually can't get things like leather or NAV.

You can't get the electronic lockers in anything but the Rubi, but will you need them?

If you're thinking of a lift and bigger tires you're going want 3.73 gears at least.

You can get the Trac-Lok on non Rubi models and it may be all you need for trails if you're not rock crawling.

You have figure out what options are important to you and then compare what comes on the editions you are considering.

#10 ·
Thanks Kev M, I'm comparing the different models and the Freedom is the one that I understand apply for me.

I want to use my Wrangler for family trips not very technically at all. So, in the future, maybe I will upgraded it with tires 33, 2-inch lift, and a winche. Something like that I believe the Jeep will look great and will be very functional.

If you have any advices, I will really appreciate it.

#11 ·
Well the Freedom looks like a nice package. Like I said earlier if you're thinking about larger tires then for sure order the 3.73 gears. You might consider the Trac-Lok rear if you think you'd like that on road (in foul weather) or off road. It was a must for me.

I'm also very happy with the Freedom top for relative quiet on family road trips.

The Alpine is really nice.

I'm also a fan of the 430N.

But all that stuff is personal, it really comes down to what you want.

#13 ·
Just to play devil's advocate, your parents obliviously weren't accountants.

You have no idea about the OP's circumstances.

Maybe he can run the lease through his business and take it off his taxes completely. If so it's possible that the money saved in taxes not paid would out pace the depreciation and interest paid on a purchased asset.

Also the Wrangler enjoys one of the highest residual values in the industry, as such it can offer some the lowest out of pocket expenses to enjoy a new car.

I don't have much left to show after nice sushi dinner either, but sometimes it's worth the luxury.

Anyway, my point is that it's not always black and white.

#15 ·
Lol, take it easy with the lease, the residual value of the Wrangler is one of the best of the market. 0.69 is really great. In my case, it is better to lease a new Jeep than to buy an old model.

If I love wheeling (as I believe will do) I will add those thing to the Wrangler and will buy it if the prize is reasonable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.