Would you go rather with a 4d than a 2d? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Would you go rather with a 4d than a 2d?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #31
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

I went with the '08 JKU Rubi/ auto, because I like the comfort/room/cargo space/towing capacity and I bought it for off-road, I don't need any more horsepower-I've raced cars, but not off-road

Quite a vehicle and still get 15.+ MPG towing my trailer !!

JIMBO

JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #32
AFhockey31
2009 JK Wrangler 

Everyone will have their reasons why a 2 is better than a 4 and vice versa.

The reason I bought mine in 4 doors is because of a couple reasons:

I had an XJ before and 2 dogs, so it was great having all room to load the dogs and camping, wheeling, even store bought stuff and had enough room.

Also had to think where id be in the next 5 years or so. I didnt want to be the guy that had to get rid of his rig because a baby was on the way and there was no room for it in the Jeep.

After making a lot of long trips in the JK, im REALLY glad I got a 4 door because I had so much room. On my drive up from Tx to Alaska, I was able to load the dogs plus all my crap that I didnt want the movers to touch and had enough room to lay down in the back and take naps if I got too tired.

The people that say its not a real Jeep if its 4 doors are dumb. If its a Jeep and has a solid axle, then its a wheeling Jeep. Patriots, the new GC, Commanders might be great on easy trails but youre going to be severely limited in the capabilities.

2009 Wrangler. XRC 10 winch
RE 3.5" basic lift. Poison Spyder Rockbrawler bumper
35x12.5 KM2. Poison Spyder Rockerknockers
Crager soft 8's. PS diff and evap skids
Bilstein 5100's. Light force 170's
KC Slimlights
AFhockey31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #33
koolkatken83
2010 JK Wrangler 

4d for sure if you have family, you need the extra room for luggage or other items, the more people you have the more stuff they bring. Love ours!
koolkatken83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #34
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I would stay with a 2 door....I love how small they are. you get anywhere with them
Unread 10-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #35
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinjeeper View Post
I would stay with a 2 door....I love how small they are. you get anywhere with them
The only thing a 2-door has on a four door is turning radius. You could argue break-over angle but that's rectified with more lift/ bigger tires. So, unless there isn't enough room on a trail for a 3 point turn, you're fine. I've never been somewhere in my Jeep that I couldn't follow a 2-door.

Not to mention the wheel base is better for climbing steep obstacles. For example, I've never seen a 2-door do this:

2door (Fast forward to 45 seconds):

YouTube - Jeep crash in Moab - Heavy Metal Version

4door:
YouTube - Larry McRae with the Poison Spyder Customs Jeep JK on Mickey's Hot Tub in Moab, Ut
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2010, 09:33 PM   #36
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Over 90% of the time my wife and I are the only ones in our 2 door. I typically keep the rear seat in the garage. We’ve gone camping in it and for the two of us there’s plenty of room.

We also took it camping with 4 people, and if the weather is good then there’s plenty of room:

If you want to go camping with more than 2 people in bad weather, or most of the time you wheel with more than 2 people, then the 4 door would be more practical.

Two doors are nice in situations like this:

AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2010, 09:41 PM   #37
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe002 View Post
Two doors are nice in situations like this:
A little Black Bear Pass? I can't wait to get down there!
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2010, 10:09 PM   #38
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbloyer81 View Post
A little Black Bear Pass? I can't wait to get down there!
Yeah, Black Bear Pass heading down toward the power plant. We were up there this Summer - first time - had a blast!

Here's a shot of the switchbacks from Imogene. We had already passed the waterfall on the left and were taking the higher elevation switchbacks above the power plant on the right.

The switchbacks are certainly doable in a 4 door, just takes a little more back and forth to stay on the road and off the cliff.
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2010, 12:38 AM   #39
badgerking
2008 JK Wrangler 

2d... real Jeeps are 2d Just ribbing all you 4d owners but if I need four doors I have a Grand Cherokee.
badgerking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2010, 02:12 AM   #40
Unknown303
2007 JK Wrangler 

Having both is where it's at.
Unknown303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2010, 02:13 AM   #41
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

I picked 2 door mainly cause of the power issue and my parking issue when I was in college. I test drove a 4 door rubicon and it just didnt have the pep that I wanted to see in a jeep. The two door had much more get up and go and to me was just more fun to zip around everywhere...
Parking is just plan bada$$ in a 2 door, never have to backup and line the damn thing up. Can one shot parallel park on the fly, make U turns tighter then a mini coop (sister has one).
As for trails, I have been to places where a 4 door would of been a real pain to drive. A 2 door was bad enough making the turns and add in bolders on both sides just inches from the body I dont think a 4 door would of made it. But these were not "real" trails, basically homebrewed with no signs or bypasses.
I think I would of picked up a 4 door if the powerplant had another 50 horses and wasnt going to college at the time.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2010, 02:26 AM   #42
DJdave
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Get the two door.
DJdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2010, 08:43 AM   #43
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Two door, unless you need seating for more than two people. Either one will put a smile on your face.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #44
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

We went 2dr for the wife. We don't like the look of the 4dr. If our kids were little we probably would have gotten a 4dr. The back seat has only been in for a few days since we got it.

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #45
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

I got the 4dr. Rubi ........... I needed the extra space for things . I work away from home for extended periods of time and the 4dr. offers me the space I need and the pleasure of the Jeep . I removed my back seat and have 0 regrets . It does look a bit odd with the 4drs. off but it does grow on you . It is still a Wrangler and very capable .................
07' Rubi Unlimited 6spd. , Rescue green #64 CDN , 35x12.5 mudders
Rick .
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2 door vs. 4 door , JK Wrangler , opinions , standard model , unlimited , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.