Would these look good on my Jeep instead of the stock step bars? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Would these look good on my Jeep instead of the stock step bars?

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 05-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Would these look good on my Jeep instead of the stock step bars?

I debating going with these Smittybilt XRC'S instead of my factory side steps. What do you think?

122114-lg.jpg   16193963_large.jpg  
Unread 05-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Way better and a whole lot more functional; wheeling with side steps is just asking for trouble.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
Renegade88
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I think they would, LJs look weird without anything there.

PanhandlePierFishing.com
Renegade88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
TripLeader
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I put these on my TJ about a year ago. They're better than the factory steps. However, being Smittybilt, they're not the best quality. The biggest issue so far: there is a slight gap between the tub and the steel. Tiny rocks can get in there. Also be aware the hardware that attaches it to the tub is not black, but of course you could paint it.

Overall, if you can afford better quality you might think about buying better quality. But it's better than what you have now.
TripLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 06:45 AM   #5
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you're going to wheel it, slides are a great upgrade. Factory steps can easily be shredded on a rock/obstacle.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Factory side steps are one of the worst looking and least functional items ever put on a Jeep. Why they're still on yours is beyond me.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjeep05 View Post
I debating going with these Smittybilt XRC'S instead of my factory side steps. What do you think?
Worth it! The Smittybilt XRC Sliders offer great stlying and pritection for your LJ. I run these on my TJ and they work great.

There is a slight gap between the body and rocker guard, I used some black RTV sealant to seal the gap and I haven't had any issues with them at all.

We have these ready to ship out next business day, I'll shoot you over our exclusive Jeep Forum Discount code in a PM, so be sure to check your inbox!

-Zach
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Better than the stock steps, but not much else. Wheel well to wheel well coverage would be better if you're going to wheel it.

Rokmen has great sliders, they offer interior braces and a gasket to go between the tub and slider.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
Adam013085

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Factory side steps are one of the worst looking and least functional items ever put on a Jeep. Why they're still on yours is beyond me.
Id say because OP doesnt wheel his too hard, and if he does I question how it is kept so clean. That being said, not everyone wheels the Jeep. If you wheel it then you could get sliders on there. If not, why waste the money on something you won't be using?
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripLeader View Post
I put these on my TJ about a year ago. They're better than the factory steps. However, being Smittybilt, they're not the best quality. The biggest issue so far: there is a slight gap between the tub and the steel. Tiny rocks can get in there. Also be aware the hardware that attaches it to the tub is not black, but of course you could paint it.

Overall, if you can afford better quality you might think about buying better quality. But it's better than what you have now.
Be sure to run a bead of silicon at the top and sides. So rocks and dirt do not get caught in there. Leave the bottom unsealed so moisture can get out. SOP

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.