Would a cracked windshield be covered under warranty? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Would a cracked windshield be covered under warranty?

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-16-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
Dead-On
2013 JK Wrangler 

Would a cracked windshield be covered under warranty?

So about 2 months into owning my 2013 JKU the windshield cracked. It just cracked on its own. It's not a stone chip nor was I off roading. I know the crack wasn't there when I parked it the night before. But when I started the next day and let it warm up I jumped in and there was a small crack. There are no marks and I would have to say it is a stress crack. Would this be covered under warranty?

Dead-On is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would certainly try to get it covered. A windshield shouldn't just crack. If a rock hit it, sure. But if there is no previous damage, then no, it is not normal, and I would expect it to be r replaced, with factory glass, for free.
Unread 03-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Just seems odd the window "just breaks" on its own. I had mine repaired two times since it was new. From stones. I have seen a few A pillars give way to rocks and crack a window. Maybe someone hit it like a vandel. But Jeeps windows get broke ALOT. Flat window on a brick.

The factory glass is ALOT more than just a "safty glass" replacment. The stock Jeep one has the "logos" in the shadow boxing. All others will be just a shadow box, no logos. if it matter to you.
Unread 03-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I went through 2 windshields in my cj7 in highschool and then 6 windshields in 7 years of owning my TJ. The YJ I have now needs a new windshield. It's got like four pretty large cracks (thankfully all on the passenger side lol). It's a flat windshield. Things don't "skip" off of it. Even small rocks create chips in it. And in the winter, if you either don't notice or let it go for a day or two, when the windshield freezes a crack will start. If the windshield goes from really cold (i.e frozen over night) to really hot (i.e. blasting your heater to warm it up) a BIG crack will form almost instantly.

Better just get used to it haha. It's gonna happen a LOT in the lifetime of your Jeep. My insurance has free chip repair and cover and a $50 deductible on one windshield replacement a year. A new window around here is about $120-150 installed so they're not bank breakers, but only having to pay $50 is nice.

Oh and when my TJ was new and still had a warranty, they did NOT cover windshields.

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
Dead-On
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Just seems odd the window "just breaks" on its own.

Well that is what happened. I was out taking pictures, mostly of my new Jeep. I parked it under my front deck that night and I know there was no crack because I was looking directly at those Easter Egg Jeep logos while taking the photos. Now I live in the stix so I know no vandals cracked it. The next morning was very cold and I started up the Jeep to warm it up. Five minutes later I grabbed the dog and went to put her in the Jeep when I noticed the crack. The defoggers were going full tilt. The crack is half way up the passenger side of the windshield. There is no chip or any other damage, just a hair line crack that has since traveled horizontally across to the drivers side since it started.
Dead-On is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Probably not the issue, but there was a problem with my Element breaking windshields. Apparently there was a seam or spot weld that was not done properly and would make a stress point and break the glass, same spot, same type of crack, two times.

So yeah, they can just break. This happened on many Elements apparently. Have not heard of this type of issue on the wranglers, but it could happen.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
Scoop
2013 JK Wrangler 

Take a sharp lead pencil and follow the crack. A stone chip will catch the lead - even one smaller than is noticeable. Chances are you'll find the chip. If none, then try for warranty coverage. They likely won't cover it unless this is a known problem, and I don't think it is. Very early MINIs also had a windshield cracking problem and MINI did not warranty it until a bunch got reported.
Scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #8
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would make a fuss if they don't replace it for free, if for sure, there is no sign of a rock chip. Glass shouldn't just crack, unless there was an install issue, which, it sounds like.
Unread 03-18-2013, 05:46 AM   #9
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-On View Post
...The next morning was very cold and I started up the Jeep to warm it up. Five minutes later I grabbed the dog and went to put her in the Jeep when I noticed the crack. The defoggers were going full tilt...
Follow the bold type and you will find the culprit.

As far as whether the warranty will cover it, we can say "yes" or "no" for days. I guess you could count up the responses and take that to the dealer but in the end it's the dealers answer that matters.
Unread 03-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #10
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Windshields will probly be the hardest thing to convince the dealership that it was not something other than a factory issue. Someone pointed out that windshields just don't crack but I assure you they can. If it was cold out as you say and you were warming the Jeep especially with the defroster, the heat from inside from the defrost will expand the glass and crack it. I have had that happen to me before but I had frost on the windshield. I was using the defrost and went back inside and when I came out my windshield had a big crack from top to bottom. I also had the corner of a new windshield in a closed up Chevy truck crack in the corner baking in the Texas summer sun.

Good luck with it, if you lived in FL the insurance company would replace it for free. Its the law here.
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
black05tj
2004 WJ 

It's worth a shot to go visit the dealership. In the '05 I had a few years ago, I was sitting at a stoplight on a very cold evening after work, defrosters going full blast to keep the falling snow/ice from accumulating as much as possible, and heard a loud "POP". Crack came up from middle of windshield about 3 inches, then made a "T" extending left and right for a few inches each direction. Took it in to the dealer where I bought it, and they replaced it free of charge under warranty. I think they did have to get some regional rep to approve the work though. Good luck!
Unread 03-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #12
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

There's a 99% chance Chrysler will not cover this under warranty. However, check with your insurance company and see if they have a glass coverage program. Many do, such as Progressive and State Farm, and will replace your windshield at little or no cost to you. Furthermore, windshield claims don't count against your general insurance policy, so other than the small increase you pay for the coverage itself (mine cost an additional $3/mo), your insurance will not go up when you replace your windshield. Given the shape of the Jeep and angle of the windshield, it's a nice thing to have, but I live in an area where sand and rocks are on roads and streets often during the Winter and Spring months.

I still wonder if the 2011+ windshields are made differently (other than the Jeep easter eggs) than the previous JK models. Both my TJ and my last JK ('07) took more rocks to the face than Whitney Houston and other than knicks and pits, they never cracked. On my '12, I've gone through two windshields already (and they only cost me $50) and it looks like a third one is in the near future.
Unread 03-20-2013, 12:42 AM   #13
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-On View Post
The next morning was very cold and I started up the Jeep to warm it up. Five minutes later I grabbed the dog and went to put her in the Jeep when I noticed the crack. The defoggers were going full tilt.
Which is why I do a 50/50 mix of floor and defrost (only two options on a YJ) on low with the temp set to the middle of the range if I am going to warm my Jeep up. I also take the two seconds to scrape most of the ice off of my tiny windshield.

Now you know, heat will crack a cold windshield.
Unread 03-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #14
Gregg79CJ7304
2012 JK Wrangler 

My 2012 has went from 55 below zero to 70 inside many times and never cracked. Just saying.
Unread 03-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #15
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Was that with just the defrost on high?

Temp change cracks windshields, that is all there is too it. I had a rock chip in a neon windshield, it was about 85 degrees out I had the AC blasting for an hour on my drive, parked in the sun and went shopping came out and the windshield was cracked all the way across.

We have a 2013 Tacoma with 4,000 miles on it at work that has a nice crack all the way across the windshield about 2 inches up from the dash. It has been freezing in the morning and I am assuming the guy cracked it with the defrost since there is no rock chip in it and it is a company vehicle. Where the crack is a rock would not hit.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.