Wonder if I made a mistake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Wonder if I made a mistake

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 02-04-2014, 07:08 PM   #1
cadamsjr

Wonder if I made a mistake

We finally picked up the jeep its a 97 Wrangler with a soft top and soft upper doors with no carpet of course.

Maybe its a little buyers remorse but I think this may not be the best vehicle to send to Virginia for my son. Yes, I know it sounds great to have this vehicle in the summer at the beach but this jeep has no a/c and my concern is how are the soft uppers going to fair during the winter?

Also, I now realize how noisy these things are so its my concern after a summer and a hard freeze the kid is going to really hate having to use this everyday.

Looking for feedback on how soft tops and soft uppers fair in colder climates.

Thanks,

cadamsjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 07:57 PM   #2
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Can't comment on the soft uppers as I have full doors, but I don't find the soft top on my 98 as a problem in the cold. Drove the Jeep to work today and the hi here was 23 .

Sent from my XT881freeze ray gun using JeepForum
Unread 02-04-2014, 08:38 PM   #3
41jeep41
2010 JK Wrangler 

I haven't personally has a soft top with soft upper on a Jeep in winter but up here in MN it is surprising the amount of TJs I have seen with that set up in the middle of winter, there are even a fair amount of JKs with the soft tops on in the winter. I do know that it is hard on the top but depending upon the amount of snowfall and where the Jeep is stored I guess you can make it through the winter with a soft top without too much issue. Be careful with the windows in the cold weather, the plastic windows can get very brittle when the temps get into the negatives.
41jeep41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 10:14 PM   #4
T_TT
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you are worried about the soft upper half doors you can always pick up a set of full doors for the winter and just swap them out. It won't be as noisy in the winter cause the top will tighten up more in the cold. Also with the heat on it will create some positive pressure inside which will assist in keeping the top from making as much noise. None-the-less, it is a jeep and it will never be "quiet" whether a soft or hard top. It is one of the trade-offs we make to drive a jeep.

If you son is anything like most kids in college he will care less about any noise and just turn up the radio.
T_TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 05:03 AM   #5
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My soft uppers have been through two winters and haven't failed me yet.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 05:21 AM   #6
treeshackler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Having a jeep is a give and take relationship. You have to take the good with the bad. When I first got a 90wrangler soft top and upper doors I had no problems. The heater is a beast so I wouldn't worry about the winters.
treeshackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 05:58 AM   #7
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Your son's gonna love that thing.
Unread 02-05-2014, 06:11 AM   #8
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadamsjr View Post
We finally picked up the jeep its a 97 Wrangler with a soft top and soft upper doors with no carpet of course.

Maybe its a little buyers remorse but I think this may not be the best vehicle to send to Virginia for my son. Yes, I know it sounds great to have this vehicle in the summer at the beach but this jeep has no a/c and my concern is how are the soft uppers going to fair during the winter?

Also, I now realize how noisy these things are so its my concern after a summer and a hard freeze the kid is going to really hate having to use this everyday.

Looking for feedback on how soft tops and soft uppers fair in colder climates.

Thanks,
He will like it better than you, for sure. Who needs AC? I hardly ever use mine even down here in south Texas where it's over 100 most of the time in the summer. When I was in my 20 and 30ies my CJ had no AC and I didn't care. The heater in my JEEPS work very well, better than AC. In fact, my kids call the heater in my TJ a blast furnace. After a ride to school you can smell melting sneakers in the cab. There is only one down fall to JEEPS, if you want to call it that, MPG's aren't so great.

Got my first CJ brand new in 1980. Loved it soo much that I bought another one in 93 and yet another in 01. I have only driven JEEPS, and nothing else for the past 34 years.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 06:18 AM   #9
SomeBeach
2007 JK Wrangler 

Start shopping around for full hard doors....you can usually find a set for around $600.00. The soft uppers are adequate too keep you warm enough, especially with the heat that a TJ can put out....the big problem will be the amount of water that will run down the inside of the door and inevitably rust the frame in the upper's skin, the inside of the half door and the floor board. Who needs a/c when the top is off? You are already too cool because you are driving a Jeep!
SomeBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 06:27 AM   #10
firejeep42
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I never had an issue with my soft uppers, the only complaints I had were in the rain during the summer or when using a toll booth/drive through. I have the upper sliders that they make for the half doors now and like them.

FYI. I've always had soft tops and I live in the northeast. None of my jeeps have had Ac either.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 02-05-2014, 06:59 AM   #11
cadamsjr

WOW, thanks everyone I consider all the information very informative. Very much impressed on how these items fair in the cold. I will look around here for some solid doors however I am running on a short timeline as the Jeep is going to be trailered to him on Feb 14 if this is something we mover forward with. Thanks again.
cadamsjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 07:14 AM   #12
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadamsjr View Post
WOW, thanks everyone I consider all the information very informative. Very much impressed on how these items fair in the cold. I will look around here for some solid doors however I am running on a short timeline as the Jeep is going to be trailered to him on Feb 14 if this is something we mover forward with. Thanks again.
I wouldn't. Like someone just said "the big problem will be the amount of water that will run down the inside of the door and inevitably rust the frame in the upper's skin" I prefer soft sides. Besides its more of a PITA to keep them stored when they are off the JEEP.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 07:26 AM   #13
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'd leave it as is. A quality top and door uppers work just fine in the cold. The OE material is a good example of a quality top.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 08:51 AM   #14
Doch80
1995 YJ Wrangler 

As others have said, most all of your concerns are a non-issue with a quality top. I prefer the half doors as well. It was never an issue with mine in the winter.

The only thing I didn't like was the lack of A/C when I went to work in the summer time. Your son, like me, will probably adapt to that so it's not really an issue either. Having a Jeep in college and all that entails will trump the lack of A/C any day of the week.

I started driving the family jeep the day I turned 16 and took it to college. Wouldn't trade those days for anything.
()_) ()_)-o-()_)
Doch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #15
SomeBeach
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
I wouldn't. Like someone just said "the big problem will be the amount of water that will run down the inside of the door and inevitably rust the frame in the upper's skin" I prefer soft sides. Besides it’s more of a PITA to keep them stored when they are off the JEEP.
I have both....but my soft uppers were on soft half lowers....full cloth door but two piece. Still adequate for comfort in the winter except on extremely cold mornings before warming up the engine. The uppers would flap open a bit at the top and took some getting used to.....I shopped for full doors so I could leave it outside to make room in the garage, but yes, they are a pain to store....but everything jeep related that is not in use is a pain to store and takes up valuable garage space. What I liked the most about soft uppers, the ability to take them off and carry them in the back just in case I hit some unexpected rain.

If you do decide on hard doors....here is one place to check....probably not the cheapest, but they probably have something.

http://www.autoquestjeeps.com/jeep-hard-tops-doors/

Or you could always let your son take care of it later....since it will be "his" jeep and "he" should start making it his own.

Last edited by SomeBeach; 02-05-2014 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: added thought
SomeBeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.