Winch safety and questions. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Winch safety and questions.

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-03-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
bella mia
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Winch safety and questions.

I saw a winch solenoid stick and do thousands of dollars damage .

1. Does anybody have any quick disconnect power Ideas ?

2. What is the difference between a lifting winch and a pulling winch ?

3. Can you over lubricate the gear box on a winch. I see automatic self holding brake in most of the info and was wondering if lubrication might make them slip ?

bella mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If it were to happen to me, Id want to kill the power to everything and stop it dead in its tracks. All that would take is a battery cut out switch just like you would install to slow up thief's.
Unread 12-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

I used the kind that has the red removible switch handle. No handle no power. Same type used on thetrack. Two reasons I do, call me paraniod; If any thing goes bad goes bad on the winch, the winch has remote control, if someone else has the same or perhaps a random signal that is the same. Might not be possible who knows, better to have if off and off.
222Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 06:13 PM   #4
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

This is what I use.

http://bluesea.com/category/1/products/3000
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
hndswthtshdws
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You could also use a heavy duty plug. Yes it will arc if you disconnect it under load. I would have more peace of mind ripping a big plug apart to kill the winch than I would flipping a switch. I know a winch is unlikely to fail and the switch is even less likely to fail, but nothing beats just ripping wires apart.

You could wire a set of booster cables to said plug. Plug in your booster cables and use on whatever.

-A hoist will not have a free spool option.
-A hoist has a positively locking brake system compared to a dynamic brake system. Think of the winch as having a hand brake and the hoist as having a P (auto tranny).
-Hoists typically have a narrow spool which wont bind up, winches typically have a wide spool which can bind up when side winching. Wide spools fit on bumpers, narrow spools do not.
-Hoists have to adhere to a ****load of safety standards.

I'm not sure how winches are rated. To me an 8000lb pound winch should be able to apply 8000lb of tension in the winch cable, meaning it would stall when trying to lift 8000 lbs. Should be able to lift 7999.99 pounds. Not sure if thats actually hows its done or not. In the movie "the gods must be crazy" the winch served very well as a hoist.
hndswthtshdws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Check out 12voltguy.com. He puts together some disconnect options as well as some in cab controls. Worth checking out his site.
Unread 12-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #7
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Check out 12voltguy.com. He puts together some disconnect options as well as some in cab controls. Worth checking out his site.
Which one are you talking about? I have his in cab winch controls.
Unread 12-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #8
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

you could use something like this (and even leave it in the OFF position when not in use)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PCO-5575PT
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #9
bella mia
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I will research this 2 night but For guys with two batteries I think you can make a dedicated two wire circuit with the batteries in series and increase your no load line speed. This can be for no load only but I think I can draw the circuit 2 nite and make it for no load increased line speed both in and out. After Hurricane Ivan we had a lot of power problems and I made a similar circuit to switch a 110 volt AC refrigerator to run on 12volt DC batteries.
bella mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #10
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

My input is kind of off subject a little here but still important. I've installed winches on F550 4wd fire dept brush trucks. I never liked having raw unswitched unfused hi current battery power running to the front (and rear in 1 case). What if you hit a tree stump, rock, or anything that could pinch this hi current cable to chassis ground. 300-400 raw unfused amps of power being shorted to ground in not a pretty site.

Having a main switch in the red cable like the link above, mounted close to the battery is, in my opinion, a must.
Unread 12-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #11
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
you could use something like this (and even leave it in the OFF position when not in use)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PCO-5575PT
That one would be right at the Max of my which amperage rating.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.