Wildlife will die for this... - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Wildlife will die for this...

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-02-2010, 08:15 AM   #31
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

A mouse built a nest on top of my intake manifold. Take some dry fibers, mixed with some oil from the leaky valve cover gasket and the heat from the exhause manifold and there is potential disaster, since the fuel rail is also on that side of the engine. I had no idea until I was getting some gas and noticed some smoke from the front of the grill. Thinking it was steam from the radiator and a little peeved, since it was only a year old, I opened the hood to find a pile of smoldering mouse nest very near to the fuel rail. Mind you, I was sitting at the gas station! Had my heart going.

'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 08:29 AM   #32
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=M5-d3rZZ-_M

This one is a few minutes long with various techniques

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #33
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Mice hate peppermint oil. Get some and mix it with water and keep it in your jeep, spray it down when your going leave it for awhile.
Smells like candy canes but its worth it!!
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 08:45 AM   #34
DstroyrOfWrldz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsquirt View Post
This little Sh******T cost me about 4 hours to clean all is winter storage out of the stack and exaust system

Had it parked on a site for 2 days. he was one busy little bugger.
I had a Datsun 280Z that had sat for about six months. I went to start it up one day, revved it up and shot out a birds nest along with about 3 or 4 live baby birds. Mama must have been out hunting worms or something. A girl that was with me put them in a shoebox and took them to some bird lady she knows.
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #35
vanwyk4257
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Mice are a universal threat, lots of aircooled Porsche 911 engines have been destroyed because mice crawled under the engine shroud through the cooling fan opening and built nests. Guys then take the car out of storage and because there is no airflow in that area they generally end up burning up a piston and cylinder or two. I made a point of pulling the cooling fan/alternator out of mine everytime I took it out in the spring to make sure there weren't any critters in there. I've also been tempted to get a garage cat.
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #36
ChicagoRod
2005 LJ Wrangler 

A squirrel is nothing but a rat with a bushy tail and a good PR person!

It's the Jeepforum, you WILL understand or someone will help you!

Does your gas tank overflow at the pump? [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/have-fuel-spill-problems-like-many-us-submit-complaint-force-recall-974337/"]SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE! [/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]New to the JeepForum? First TJ/LJ? Click here.[/URL]

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Jeep-Wrangler-LJ-Unlimited/238153862870221"]
FaceBook Page for LJ Owners[/URL]
ChicagoRod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #37
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

buy a sodder gun and some sodder and do it yourself!
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:09 PM   #38
SlackJawedYokel
2004 TJ Wrangler 

From my clubs email forum, one of the guys was having problems with his tow rig.

"Well after all of the suggestions and advice about my truck it turns out that we were all wrong. The real problem..............rodents!!!! Mice or squirrels or half-breed mouse squirrels....whatever....freakin' rodents!! They got in the engine compartment and chewed up the engine and the body wiring harnesses. Only option to make the truck reliable again is to replace both and we are talking thousands. The shop has to yank the cab and the engine to get at everything. Might be a good time to slap in a set of ARP head studs....but I digress."

He has since stopped lubing his chassis with peanut butter
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:18 PM   #39
mikey8882
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Glad to see I'm not the only one, and I'm liking the suggestions. The chick at the shop said they get these old ladies in all the time with similar damage from mice- they use moth balls under the hood (that's not happening though, I don't want anything to do with that smell). Someone also mentioned putting some rat poison in a little mesh sack and stashing that somewhere underneath, to give them something else to chew on.
mikey8882 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:29 PM   #40
Castr8r
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You can blame the Eco-Nazis for this! The insulation is soy based and tastes good to squirrels, mice, and other assorted rodents. The change from oil based plastics was done to be "green"...

Talk about unintended consequences.

I've done bodywork useing a winch, a tree, a prybar, and a BFH!

Now, my wild oats have turned to prune juice and all-bran...
Castr8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2010, 12:50 AM   #41
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castr8r View Post
You can blame the Eco-Nazis for this! The insulation is soy based and tastes good to squirrels, mice, and other assorted rodents. The change from oil based plastics was done to be "green"...
Very interesting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2010, 05:36 AM   #42
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castr8r View Post

Talk about unintended consequences.
Somebody I had worked with had a band new (still with paper plates) Honda Passport and their wires became rodent lunch. She was told that the problem was becoming more common because of the above reason.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #43
mikey8882
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Somebody I had worked with had a band new (still with paper plates) Honda Passport and their wires became rodent lunch. She was told that the problem was becoming more common because of the above reason.
I heard the same thing and am still amazed. I'm baffled as to why some genius decided to start making car parts out of what amounts to be mouse food. There's gotta be a better way to go green...
mikey8882 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 09:57 PM   #44
ChicagoRod
2005 LJ Wrangler 

It's a conspiracy by a tree-hugger! "Let's make wires made from rodent food so we can feed the squirrels and keep polluting cars off the road!"

It's the Jeepforum, you WILL understand or someone will help you!

Does your gas tank overflow at the pump? [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/have-fuel-spill-problems-like-many-us-submit-complaint-force-recall-974337/"]SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE! [/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]New to the JeepForum? First TJ/LJ? Click here.[/URL]

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Jeep-Wrangler-LJ-Unlimited/238153862870221"]
FaceBook Page for LJ Owners[/URL]
ChicagoRod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
fail , fuel , pump

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.