Wildlife will die for this... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Wildlife will die for this...

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-01-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
mikey8882
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Wildlife will die for this...

So I just got the Jeep back from the shop today. Got in the other day, turned the key, it cranked but never started up. My (out of town) mechanic brother-in-law eventually diagnosed it as a fuel-pump related issue. After having it towed to the shop and having them look into it further, I got some good news and some bad news. The good news was that the fuel pump was fine and I wasn't going to have to pay a fortune for a new one. The bad news was that the electrical wire leading to the pump was severed, and it appeared that something had chewed through it. In other words, some hateful mouse or squirrel in my back yard owes me $250 for the repairs.

Has this happened to anyone else? And if so, did you also get the urge to buy a shotgun and rid your yard of anything that crawls like I did?

mikey8882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 09:43 PM   #2
MrRage
1999 TJ Wrangler 

$250 to splice the 4 or so wires that run to the fuel pump sounds a bit high, but I guess thats mostly labor. Still sucks though. I had the engine wiring harness catch on fire, does that count?
MrRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I say you should commit Mouse/squirrel genocide. Just a thought.
Unread 12-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #4
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wow. Learn how to do your own work. A fuel pump is an easy replacement. Splicing a few wires is easy and would have cost you about $5 and 10 minutes.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 09:56 PM   #5
mikey8882
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I know it was probably an easy fix, but I'm about as mechanically retarded as it gets with cars. Getting into possibly dropping the fuel tank isn't really something I wanted to try to learn on the fly, especially since it's 20 degrees outside right now.
Unread 12-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey8882 View Post
I know it was probably an easy fix, but I'm about as mechanically retarded as it gets with cars. Getting into possibly dropping the fuel tank isn't really something I wanted to try to learn on the fly, especially since it's 20 degrees outside right now.
Theres so many things wrong with this quote its frightening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #7
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Wow. Learn how to do your own work. A fuel pump is an easy replacement. Splicing a few wires is easy and would have cost you about $5 and 10 minutes.
^This. $250 for splicing a few wires blows. And a shotgun is really the wrong tool for rodents.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 10:07 PM   #8
Ezalycasaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler View Post
theres so many things wrong with this quote its frightening.

x2
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...eilla-1121886/
I void warranties.
Ezalycasaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 10:08 PM   #9
mikey8882
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussler View Post
Theres so many things wrong with this quote its frightening.
Well, by all means, please enlighten me.
Unread 12-01-2010, 10:14 PM   #10
DstroyrOfWrldz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRage View Post
$250 to splice the 4 or so wires that run to the fuel pump sounds a bit high, but I guess thats mostly labor. Still sucks though. I had the engine wiring harness catch on fire, does that count?
I imagine a good portion of that was diagnosis and locating the wiring problem.

I haven't had it happen, but my brother had a rat or mouse get under the hood of his BMW and chew up a bunch of wiring harness. I think that bill was nearly $800.
Unread 12-01-2010, 10:16 PM   #11
dmc_rrt
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My brother was finishing a fly in forestry camp after 2 weeks. Helicopter drops him off at his truck, which is still 80kms from the nearest hick town. Him and his crew where all pumped up to head back to civilization to tie one on, only to find a porcupine had gutted all his lines under the hood. The poor little bugger was still under the truck. No need to say more.
dmc_rrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 10:20 PM   #12
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Well, by all means, please enlighten me.
Quote:
-I know it was probably an easy fix

-I'm about as mechanically retarded as it gets

-car

-isn't really something I wanted to try to learn on the fly

-it's 20 degrees outside right now.
You'll get as much out of it that you put into it. A Jeeper can only survive if hes a wrencher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 10:20 PM   #13
mikey8882
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DstroyrOfWrldz View Post
I imagine a good portion of that was diagnosis and locating the wiring problem.

I haven't had it happen, but my brother had a rat or mouse get under the hood of his BMW and chew up a bunch of wiring harness. I think that bill was nearly $800.
Yeah, I'm sure that almost my entire bill was for diagnosis and labor, as the wiring was probably very inexpensive.
Unread 12-01-2010, 10:21 PM   #14
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My neighbor had a chipmunk climb into his engine and try to build a nest, it chewed through the air filter, he built his nest on top of one of the pistons. When he tried to start the car after it sat in his garage for 3 days, bad things happened. The end result was the motor needed to be rebuilt, he was not happy. They found pieces of the nest when they tore the motor down.

Also my uncles cabin had a squirrel get locked in over the winter, and in the squirrel attempt to escape he did 100K worth of damage to the window sills and doors and door frames, and other wood parts of the house. squirrels have now become an endangered species around his cabin.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #15
mikey8882
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussler View Post
You'll get as much out of it that you put into it. A Jeeper can only survive if hes a wrencher.
I feel you on this, I really do. The only problem is this- my Jeep is my only vehicle, and I have a full time job that doesn't involve spending hours at a time working on that Jeep. This issue wasn't one that I could address after work in my driveway. As I said, I'm not exactly a mechanic and - even though it might be an easy fix for you, it wouldn't be for me. And I mentioned that it is cold here, because, yes... it is cold as balls here.

And sorry about the "car" thing... it's a learning process for me (I'm a first generation Jeep owner, wasn't born into this thing).

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.