Why use a hand throttle? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Why use a hand throttle?

Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High ClearanIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 09-03-2008, 06:43 AM   #1
TJoshX
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Why use a hand throttle?

Hi guys,

I'm looking into hand throttles, specifically the one from 33 Engineering. There is a link to the instruction install here...

http://www.offroadtoystore.com/instructions/33-3040.pdf

I have a 4.0 manual transmission. What gains/benefits is there to using a and throttle? This runs about 30.00, is that a fair price?

Thanks,

Josh

2002 Inline 6 TJ-X 4.0, D30/D35 w.4:56s
2inch BDS Full Coil Suspension, Incubus 511 Rims, 33inch Mickey Thompson ATZ, Bestop HighRock Front (w/Stainless Grill Guard) and Rear Bumper, KC SlimLites, Custom "TJ" Tail Light Covers

When I Die, Bury me in my JEEP. 'Cause it's never been in a hole it couldn't get out of! : )
TJoshX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2008, 07:28 AM   #2
Ratmeat
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Cheep but illegal (at least in my state) cruse control!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount of up to and including his or her life. That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Ratmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2008, 07:37 AM   #3
TJoshX
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have read some things about them being used as cruise control. More so I know people use these while on the trail, especially people who tend to have manual trannys. I was wondering if the people running them use the throttles exclusively on the trail or only in certain instances...

Thanks,

Josh

2002 Inline 6 TJ-X 4.0, D30/D35 w.4:56s
2inch BDS Full Coil Suspension, Incubus 511 Rims, 33inch Mickey Thompson ATZ, Bestop HighRock Front (w/Stainless Grill Guard) and Rear Bumper, KC SlimLites, Custom "TJ" Tail Light Covers

When I Die, Bury me in my JEEP. 'Cause it's never been in a hole it couldn't get out of! : )
TJoshX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2008, 07:43 AM   #4
ancestralworm
there will be crying

2000 TJ Wrangler 

extra foot. when on a steep grade or other situation when you need to clutch and brake at the same time. comes in real handy when your heel/toe skills aren't that great.

set the throttle to up the rpm's when winching

use as a cruise control on long cobble trails to prevent throttle bounce(not sure what to call it).

i never use mine on the street.
Black Jeep Society victim#19

"The Jeep is America's only real sports car" - Enzo Ferrari

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Ben Franklin
ancestralworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2008, 07:51 AM   #5
VICTIM_OF_PAIN
2008 JK Wrangler 

I would imagine you would need one on the real difficult trails. If you're just doing greens or blues, I really don't see a need for one. You'd be surprised, takes a lot to stall in 4 low. Jeep still wanted to pull with my foot on the brake and wasn't coming close to stalling.

[B]Ex - 2001 Wrangler, 2" BB, 32" BGF AT's. JKS Quicker Disconnects, Oil Pan Skid, Steering Box Skid. Hard Top, Soft Top, Safari Top, Olympic Mountaineer Rack.[/B][/COLOR]

Current - 2008 Unlimited Wrangler Rubicon. Rock Krawler Stock Mod 2.5" lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-Windows, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Rugged Ridge E-Disco Skid, and a Skid Row Evap Canister Skid plate.

[B]It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool.... than to open it and remove all doubt[/B].
VICTIM_OF_PAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2008, 10:09 AM   #6
alvinl
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sometimes with a manual tranny offroad you just need 3 feet. It's also good on rough terrain to hold a steady rpm while driving. And you can bump up your RPM's for winching.

http://www.venemousduckracing.com
alvinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
shotgunsmith
2002 TJ Wrangler 

really helps control throole whiplash. great for starts on steep grades. once you get used to it you find your self using it unconciously.
Unread 09-03-2008, 10:40 AM   #8
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45º 36.663' W 123º 20.935', Oregon
I have an automatic but still appreciate my hand throttle on terrain that is subject to unexpected jerks and bumps that would inadvertently cause your foot to press on the accelerator - in turn making the Jeep dangerously surge forward.

I also use my hand throttle to keep my RPMs up while winching, powering up my air compressor, or even jump starting a vehicle in need.

I pieced mine together from various parts at a bike shop. When the bike employee asked me what bike the parts were for I told him "Jeep". The bike employee asked if it was one of those Jeep branded mountain bikes, I simply showed him my Jeep in the parking lot. The look on his face was priceless; he asked, "You're doing what???!!"

1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2008, 10:51 AM   #9
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJoshX View Post
Hi guys,

I'm looking into hand throttles, specifically the one from 33 Engineering. There is a link to the instruction install here...

http://www.offroadtoystore.com/instructions/33-3040.pdf

I have a 4.0 manual transmission. What gains/benefits is there to using a and throttle? This runs about 30.00, is that a fair price?

Thanks,

Josh
For $30.00 that is a fair deal. I built my own and it works very well, but the 33 eng deal is great.

3 petals, 2 feet is the reason for a hand throttle. You want a unit that can adjust so it is a spring loaded thumb or finger throttle similar to a ATC so you can use both feet on petals. And practice using the throttle like that before you hit the trails. Not a good cruise control, but it can be used like that for short bursts on level ground. Great to lock down and keep rpms up for OBA or winching.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2008, 01:38 PM   #10
93YJfalcon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I rigged up an old choke cable under my dash as a winching throttle control. I have never needed a hand throttle on the trail.
Heel/toe is the way to go.

http://dirtyfabworks.com/gallery.htm
93YJfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2008, 06:57 PM   #11
dencor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hand

Thanks.
I've been thinking about a rig like this.
A few times in the rough, the TJ starts to bounce like crazy, then my foot follows. The lurching is not good for the drivetrain.
I just ordered one, though I think the shipping $10.00+) is a little high!!
dencor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2008, 07:05 PM   #12
jimaug87
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I was offroading this past weekend and I went down a trail with lots of dry ruts and rocks scattered everythwere. I was in 2hi 1st gear (not too difficult of a trail, but very fun to crawl and lots of lines to pick) and I kept getting the throttle jerk. I'm currently teaching my girlfriend to drive stick, and she does very well. She got up on her podium and asked me, "is that you?" after some of the jerks. i tried to explain my foot bouncing but she thought I had lost my touch, even tho I wasn't touching the clutch.

I'm thinking about a hand throttle for that reason.

She driving it next time, we'll see how she does.

I have a mountain bike I broke jumping stairs and I have the parts in my garage.
Unread 09-05-2008, 06:27 AM   #13
93YJfalcon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dencor View Post
Thanks.
A few times in the rough, the TJ starts to bounce like crazy, then my foot follows. The lurching is not good for the drivetrain.
To remedy that jerking effect, I just plant my heel on the floorboard and work the middle of the gas pedal with my toes. Works great for me so far.

http://dirtyfabworks.com/gallery.htm
93YJfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2008, 07:39 AM   #14
ancestralworm
there will be crying

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93YJfalcon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dencor View Post
Thanks.
To remedy that jerking effect, I just plant my heel on the floorboard and work the middle of the gas pedal with my toes. Works great for me so far.
another way is to rest the side of your foot on the tunnel and throttle by tilting your foot in.
Black Jeep Society victim#19

"The Jeep is America's only real sports car" - Enzo Ferrari

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Ben Franklin
ancestralworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2008, 10:49 AM   #15
_JEEP_
1989 YJ Wrangler 

One of my freinds did this. He tried the gear changer but he said its way to dangerous because the throttle doesnt spring back he has to lower it manually. That why he changed to a brake lever instead. when you let go of the brake lever the throttle comes back.
_JEEP_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.