Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 636 Old 02-14-2009, 11:20 AM
xjandyj

you said you had more wreck pix,,,please post more,,,
post #78 of 636 Old 02-14-2009, 12:49 PM
RYANSTULC
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I still can't fathom why people install lift kits, big tires, remove sway bars, retain stock brakes, and expect to remain safe while in their Jeep. In my opinion an aftermarket roll cage should be one of the first things installed. Sure it costs some money,,, but what's your life worth? More importantly, what value do you place on the life of your passengers. We ALL have (at one point in time) allowed a passenger to ride with us during a hard trail. It only takes one flop, even mild, to ruin someone's life.
A guy from town was recently out "light wheeling" at a local area we have. He was driving on a ledge when the soft soil gave way. This was NOT extreme rock crawling in any way shape of form. This was basically crusing some pasture land. His Jeep flipped over the side and landed on the top, thus making the engine stick at WOT. The Jeep then righted itself, and ran up the bank again, rolling a second time.
Needless to say he was air-lifted to the hospital,,,,where he spent about 2 days in ICU.
He was wearing a seat-belt, but got beat-to-hell by all the unsecured "stuff" in the Jeep. He's lucky to be alive.

It's easy for us Jeepers to see a pic of a cool lift, or awesome bumpers and think " I gotta have that! I gotta have that! "

It's just as important for us Jeepers to see horrible pics of wrecks and think " I gotta prevent that! I gotta prevent that! "

I'm only 33, but I've been to six (6) funerals of friends who died because they weren't wearing seatbelts.

post #79 of 636 Old 02-14-2009, 01:20 PM
outlawjosywales
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_Volkman View Post
yeah, me too. that way, when you have to make a hard manuever or get hit and fly out of your seat, you can lose complete control of the vehicle, instead of being held in the drivers seat by the seat belt.

you know...that way, you can take even more unsuspecting people to your grave with you.
i was in a wreck & flippped over in a creek off a highway. had i been wearing a seatbelt i would have drowned. barely got out without one. i'm not saying i'm against seatbelts, in some instances they hinder rather than help & i think it should be the individuals choice whether or not to wear one.

Go Anywhere.
post #80 of 636 Old 02-14-2009, 01:27 PM
1BadTJ

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
I've been researching and saving pictures from various TJ/CJ/YJ wrecks for years.
youre one sick puppy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #81 of 636 Old 02-14-2009, 03:00 PM
gaTJgal

Cripes @ those pictures. Glad to know the rear passenger area holds up so well (nephew rides back there). Now, I don't feel crappy for ordering the Rock Hard cage last week instead of ordering a lift and tires.
post #82 of 636 Old 02-14-2009, 03:15 PM
Brown Dog
Vendor

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
WOW! Excellent thread subject. What happened to that Jeep? I've been an absolute seatbelt believer since I first heard of them in 60-61. At the ripe old age of 15, I made my dad install seatbelts into his brand-new '62 Oldsmobile Starfire before we took it on a family trip from California to Texas.
Tell us more, what happened!

62 Chevy Impala here. It had seat belts installed even before it saw our driveway.

Brown Dog Offroad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
post #83 of 636 Old 02-14-2009, 04:23 PM
XXRider
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayougold View Post
i was in a wreck & flippped over in a creek off a highway. had i been wearing a seatbelt i would have drowned. barely got out without one. i'm not saying i'm against seatbelts, in some instances they hinder rather than help & i think it should be the individuals choice whether or not to wear one.
I've heard lots of stories about people living because of not wearing the seat belt. My friend got thrown out throw the windshield and got up and walked away. He was lucky because the engine was sitting in the drives seat. He would have been dead wearing a seat belt.

When I was in the fire dept years ago one accident we responded too a lady went off the road into a group of trees. She didn't have a seat belt on and was some how thrown into the passenger seat. The drivers side of the car was pushed in 2-3 feet from hitting a tree, she likely would have been dead wearing the belt too. But she did need to be cut out of the car with the jaws of life.

Accidents that people are wearing the seat belt is it impossible to say what would have happened without it.

I'm pretty bad at not wearing my belt around town, if I'm offroading, or on the highway it is usually on. In most cases I'd say you are better off having the seat belt on, than taking a chance without it.
post #84 of 636 Old 02-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Tim

1997 TJ Wrangler 

we lost a jeeping buddy or two over the years while wheeling with no seatbelt. the two i am thinking of were not teenagers but closer to retirement age....

97 TJ 4.0, AW-4, Clayton, A.R.B., Highly polished HP30, Super 88
There are no shortcuts to any place worth going
91 XJ 4.7
post #85 of 636 Old 02-14-2009, 07:02 PM
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Local dealer warned me the stock roll bar and windshield frame on the TJs is a major problem in roll overs. Its somthing they have improved on the newer JK.
post #86 of 636 Old 02-14-2009, 09:02 PM
SmashinTJs
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theboogieman View Post
Thanks to JF for not deleting or switching to GD because they are dead.I think tihngs like this are great to remind people and bring up safety that most people forget,especially with kids(teenagers).
Well not all of us teens dont wear our seatbelts....... Just a stereotype.

I dont know a single kid who has thought twice about wearing a seatbelt in my wrangler...... i think it intimidates alot of kids

RED 1997 Modded TJ l 3.5 Rancho l PIAA's l 33'' KM2 l Custom Yakima Roof Setup l Armor l.

TJ TECH BOOT CAMP: READ IF NEW

Help us form the JF Search and Rescue Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by scavanau View Post
Is that bumper weighted to keep you from catching air at highway speed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWhiteWolf View Post
Well no (why would it) :confused:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scavanau View Post
Because I think your fender flares could easily pass for wings
post #87 of 636 Old 02-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Yesfan70

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonya View Post
Local dealer warned me the stock roll bar and windshield frame on the TJs is a major problem in roll overs. Its somthing they have improved on the newer JK.
What is the difference about them? To me, the JK's roll cage layout looks the same as the TJ's.

Not disputing your word. I would like to see where the improvements were made and how the two are different.

2004 Jeep WJ
Only in a Jeep
post #88 of 636 Old 02-14-2009, 11:19 PM
vans9140
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i want those springs ... does that make me a bad person ?
post #89 of 636 Old 02-15-2009, 12:02 AM
IGotADisneyJeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a prime example of having a well built rig without a full roll cage.
Yet, He did an "extreme course" without thinking about his safety of a full roll cage.
If he had a full roll cage it would have been a lot safer for him & I am sure he was telling himself
"Man I should have had a full roll cage or this would have never happened"
Well, He did think of using a helmet and his stinger helped a lot on the roll.
You will also notice that the radiator hoop and flat fenders did its job very well in
protecting the hood and the sides of the jeep.

Grrrr... I never understood why offroaders spend big bucks on all their mods on their rigs and skimp out or wait on adding full roll cage.

Note to all ...If you build your rig for offroading ...Please, Think about your well being and your passangers, Build a Roll Cage to protect your lives.
Big Lifts, Big Tires, Lockers and others won't save your life if you roll your rig.
The Roll Cage that you Invest in...WILL. ( we hope so ) Think Smart and Invest in a Cage before its to late. And, We sure do not ever want to see or hear about those incidents because, they did not have one.

Invest in a full roll cage!

So everyone will be informed, this is an advanced amateur offroader on those pictures. This is just an example about a full roll cage.

But the main part about this OP is using your Seat Belt!
So, Be Safe & Buckle Up

By the way...I got a full 6 point welded roll cage along with a front stinger, radiator hoop and flat fenders so, I am fully protected.

I'm Michael, Founder of: "Jeeps Gone Wild™"
www.JeepsGoneWild.org
<><

Last edited by IGotADisneyJeep; 02-15-2009 at 09:11 AM.
post #90 of 636 Old 02-15-2009, 08:24 AM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotADisneyJeep View Post
"Man I should have had a full roll cage or this would have never happened"
Invest in a full roll cage!
Excellent photo sequence!!! You can see exactly how the stock pillars deform in slow motion.

The stock cage holds up fairly well after a once over at slow speeds, but after that the windshield fully collapses in the passenger compartment. A front roll cage is something Jeep overlooked on TJs and is something that should be addressed

Useful Write-Ups:

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.