Why seat belts are your friend. - Page 43 - JeepForum.com

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #631 of 636 Old 12-10-2015, 05:39 AM
Kuntryboy816
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
A little over 5 years ago, my seatbelt kept me from going through the windshield, ejected or worse. I am glad there are laws in place and that my parents ensured that I knew the reasons and needs for seatbelts.

I bought my new-to-me Jeep from a guy over in NJ on a Saturday. This happened on Monday on my way home from the DMV! The silver and black cars were in the on-coming lane... silver car stopped waiting to turn across my lane.. black car rear-ends the silver car pushing her into my path and I T-boned her car. The guy in the black car never even slowed b/c he was on his phone. I saw it all in slow motion as it happened and I still get chills every time I pass the spot.

The impact was enough to almost destroy all 3 vehicles... luckily they fixed my Jeep with good new and used parts which kept it from being totaled.

Poor senior lady was pretty badly hurt and she had had neck surgery just a few months before

This @$$#*!3 who was too busy on his phone to worry about his safety or his 2yr old son's! Oh, and I may have neglected to mention that he was driving uninsured!!!

Not even titled in my name yet!!

Kind of proud that she started up and limped over to the curb before being put on a stretcher (like the lady and I were). Total damage: bumper, fender, flare (thank God b/c I hated those things anyways), steering box, transfer case, tire, steering wheel, hood and driver side spring......

....and this is why I'm glad I was wearing a seat belt! That is a steel wheel that inverted due to the force of the impact! That's kung-fu grip strength right there kiddos! My knees hit the dash but the main part of me stayed right in the seat! 4 months later, I still had to have a blown disc in my back removed from the accident but I'm still alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Sport View Post
Until you know exactly what is underneath the, well, not really sure what to call them...mistakes...it's hard to come up with a plan of action.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 636 Old 12-10-2015, 11:43 AM
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

A dude I know (still alive) crashed his YJ. Swerved around a stopped car, hit the curb going too fast and his Jeep hopped up into a telephone pole next to a sub-station (the really thick poles).

No seat belt. He went out the driver side window (plastic window/half door), but his left foot remained inside the vehicle behind the clutch pedal. Obviously his leg dislocated and twisted the leg a few times. Lucky for him, the crash occurred across the street from an ambulance station and there were a few folks sitting out front on break. They hustled over, somehow untangled him from his YJ and ran him up to the trauma unit and saved his life.

They saved his leg also. He lost a lot of blood and likely would have died on scene if the ambulance people weren't there.

2013 JKU
1995 YJ
post #633 of 636 Old 12-13-2015, 06:17 AM
dariasen
1998 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYuen View Post
I think if anyone, drivers should be the ones to wear a seatbelt on public roads. Just like the driver on any bus. If you hit a big bump, swerve, or get hit, you don't want to get knocked out of your seat and lose control of the vehicle and possibly injure or kill someone else, when a seatbelt would have kept you in place.
About 15 years ago, I was about 17yo, I was T-boned by a tractor trailer while driving my 70 VW bus (so very little safety features compared to most other vehicles on the road at that time) through a busy intersection. The vehicle stayed upright, and I was able to keep the steering wheel tight and avoid hitting anyone else but I spun about 360deg. The impact was hard enough that my legs had been swung to the center of the seats with such force my shoes flew off into the back. If I had not been wearing my seatbelt I would have been thrown from my seat unable to control what little I could.
I never saw what my poor car looked like after my ambulance ride but it was towed past my dad's shop when he was leaving to meet me at the hospital, he thought I was dead going by the damage he saw.

I was very lucky I walked out of the hospital a few hours later with nothing worse than a scar from the seat belt burn and the pain of knowing that I had spent a year restoring very expensive scrap metal. I'm thankful my parents raised me to believe that seat belts are not an option because it saved my life.

post #634 of 636 Old 12-14-2015, 11:41 AM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I've never been involved in a serious accident. But almost my entire adult life, I've had a job that required me to do a lot of driving in the city. I can't give you an exact number. But I can't count on one hand how many times I've seen people lying dead on the road, because they weren't wearing their seatbelts. And most of them weren't that serious of an accident.

Stop worrying about laws that were passed by politicians, that you voted for, that are trying to protect you. Just wear the damn seatbelt.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #635 of 636 Old 12-14-2015, 11:46 PM
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
I've never been involved in a serious accident. But almost my entire adult life, I've had a job that required me to do a lot of driving in the city. I can't give you an exact number. But I can't count on one hand how many times I've seen people lying dead on the road, because they weren't wearing their seatbelts. And most of them weren't that serious of an accident.

Stop worrying about laws that were passed by politicians, that you voted for, that are trying to protect you. Just wear the damn seatbelt.
Make that two of us, I stopped counting after I ran out of fingers. From Los Angeles to Atlanta, San Diego to Seattle, Miami to NYC, Chicago to Dallas, and everything in between... DUI, reckless driving, no seatbelt, you name it I've rolled up on it or watched it happen right in front of me. A lot of those were people not wearing seatbelts, it's kind of obvious when the person is 100ft away from what's left of the vehicle.

Last company I worked for had dash cameras that have inward facing cameras as well, they showed me a video of a former driver who took a left turn at an intersection at 27mph with a 20ft container behind him. He was ok, but damn did he go flying in the cab.

The scenery I get to look at everyday is nice though, so there's that.

1991 YJ: Daily Driver
1992 YJ: Pile of crap sitting in the garage.
post #636 of 636 Old 02-11-2017, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
TheBoogieman
Disturbed

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Keep em buckled up for V-Day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.