Why my TJ can't go 100 mph - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Why my TJ can't go 100 mph

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-13-2014, 10:02 AM   #61
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
Cause he's got a 42RLE
Drop it in 3rd, 1:1 gear and put the hammer down.

When my TJ had an I6, 4.56 gears, and 33" tires, it would accelerate pretty good in 1:1 gear from 60 all the way up to 90. It also slowed down without hitting the brakes pretty well too.

Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2014, 10:54 AM   #62
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Drop it in 3rd, 1:1 gear and put the hammer down.

When my TJ had an I6, 4.56 gears, and 33" tires, it would accelerate pretty good in 1:1 gear from 60 all the way up to 90. It also slowed down without hitting the brakes pretty well too.
It hauls *** in 3rd. I don't like cruising at 4000rpm though, too hard to hear myself think. And the normal gallons per mile turns into gallons per feet.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2014, 11:59 AM   #63
Jughead
2011 WK 

Now there'd be a scarey ride. A lifted Jeep on 35's doing 100mph with death wobble.
1970 Corvette Stingray 454
Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #64
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
It hauls *** in 3rd. I don't like cruising at 4000rpm though, too hard to hear myself think. And the normal gallons per mile turns into gallons per feet.
Ok, makes sense now.

You said tops out, so I thought you meant actual top speed.

Top speed to me means pedal to the floor, no concern for MPG, no concern for RPM as long as its below red line.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2014, 03:50 PM   #65
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead View Post
Now there'd be a scarey ride. A lifted Jeep on 35's doing 100mph with death wobble.
if you don't get wobble by time you hit 60 or so, I doubt you'll get wobble at 100? Mine is nice and smooth even cruising 85+, on 35" tires and 4" lift.
Unread 06-13-2014, 04:08 PM   #66
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I don't really fit into this conversation as my wife's TJ has a 4 cylinder but I couldn't help to think about 'top speed'. I've found if there is a headwind above 15 mph, it takes everything she has to hit 65 mph in 4th gear (everything stock on 30" tires). 5th gear maintains or loses speed.

That's all. I just felt the need to chime in!

ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2014, 11:09 PM   #67
geroux
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Absolutely could do 100 MPH.

I'm surprised people are questioning if this is possible.
OK... Possible, yes... Probable, I doubt it.
Honestly how many of us drive our 4" lifted TJs at 100mph?
geroux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2014, 11:16 PM   #68
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroux View Post
OK... Possible, yes... Probable, I doubt it.
Honestly how many of us drive our 4" lifted TJs at 100mph?
How many people drive any vehicle at 100mph? It doesn't mean they can't go that fast. If you said that in court, "who honestly drives a 4" lifted jeep at 100mph?" The judge would probably say "You do, according to the radar." Technically, nobody really should drive that fast on the street regardless of what they drive, because there are no speed limits (that I know of) close to that speed here in the US. Highest speed limit I have seen is 80 (or was it 85?) on the 20 through Texas. So nobody really should be driving 100, but sure as hell people do. I've been passed up by a crappy looking old caravan before, I was doing 85 in my TJ, and this POS caravan blasted by me like I was doing 25. Who knew a crappy caravan could go that fast.

I don't think you can use the excuse "it's a jeep" to get out of a 100mph speed ticket, it's not out of the realm of possibility to drive a jeep at 100mph. Quite the opposite. If you can prove that your motor, transmission, and axle gearing will physically not let you go 100 or right near 100, then that's something you can bring to the table. But from the factory, I don't think that's the case for most jeeps, because clearly most jeeps will hit 100, or very near it (with the RPM limitor). You can't go by the RPM limitor, because the tire size may be a bit larger, at 100mph a small change in tire size will probably be a 5-10mph speed difference.
Unread 06-13-2014, 11:31 PM   #69
geroux
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
How many people drive any vehicle at 100mph? It doesn't mean they can't go that fast. Technically, nobody really should drive that fast, because there are no speed limits (that I know of) anywhere near that speed here in the US. Highest speed limit I have seen is 80 or 85 on the 20 through Texas. So nobody really should be driving 100, but sure as hell people do. I've been passed up by a crappy looking old caravan before, I was doing 85 in my TJ, and this POS caravan blasted by me like I was doing 25. Who knew a crappy caravan could go that fast.
I'm just supporting the OP and that the probability him going 100mph is much less likely than someone in a Mustang, Camaro or Challenger, or, even a crappy Caravan.
I hope he has some way of defending this in court.
By the way. Highest speed limit in the US is toll road 130 that runs from Seguin TX to just south of Austin. It's 85mph. Been on it several times.

edit.... I'm sorry I didn't include danielbuck's entire quote... seems he kept adding after I posted.
geroux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2014, 06:16 PM   #70
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

hah, yea sorry I ninja edit sometimes, haha
Unread 06-18-2014, 12:30 PM   #71
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

How could you even get to 100?

We all know what happens at 88 MPH.

Unread 06-18-2014, 02:03 PM   #72
JMark
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
The worst the judge can do in Texas is take you out back and shoot you.
When did they start taking you out back for that?
JMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2014, 05:59 PM   #73
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
How could you even get to 100?

We all know what happens at 88 MPH.
You've got a good point there.

Sure 100 mph is possible, but crazy. I just think of the Boogieman's seat belt thread and it would probably look even worse if it rolled. 75 mph is my max, but not on a regular basis.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2014, 07:37 AM   #74
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisleywrangler View Post
I drove my 97 4.0 with ax15 and 33 tyres at an indicated 70 (uk speed limit) for. 200 miles only later to realise that the Speedo was set for 28" tyres, guessing was doing around 90?
Probably doing closer to 62-64 MPH...
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2014, 03:29 PM   #75
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason280 View Post
Probably doing closer to 62-64 MPH...
Driving with larger tyres means actual speed is greater than that indicated. Probably closer to 80-82 mph, so going with the flow.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
police brutality , specs , speeds , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.