Why my TJ can't go 100 mph - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Why my TJ can't go 100 mph

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #31
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJeeper View Post
Around here, the elevation changes I'm talking about necessitate truck lanes. I take issue with the implication that I've neglected maintenance on my rig.
If you had your profile filled in, the world would know what you meant by "here".

But you don't.

WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #32
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
In Texas where he's from it's called driving normal.In Va it's loss of license for 30 days.To the OP,go to court and tell them you didn't know the PO forgot to change the speedo gear for the larger tires.The worst the judge can do in Texas is take you out back and shoot you.
------
In BC and Alberta, Canada it is an instant road side 30 day suspension, 7 day car impound plus the fine, plus towing, plus storage. .......

And they leave standing on the shoulder... with your family if you were stupid enough to do 100mph with kids in the Jeep
Unread 06-11-2014, 03:41 PM   #33
IlliniJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKdeuce View Post
If you had your profile filled in, the world would know what you meant by "here".

But you don't.
Central IL. South of the glacial extent and carved by half a dozen rivers. Hell of a lot hillier than Plano. The problem is that "here" has a pretty big difference in landscape. Over by Champaign, an anthill constitutes a significant elevation change. Over here further west, it's quite a bit hillier.
Unread 06-11-2014, 03:42 PM   #34
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes, I'm talking 5th gear. If you're shifting down into 4th to build up speed, you kind of have to know that you're flogging it between the actual need to down shift and the racket that the drivetrain will be making. Hard to make the argument that you were just cruising along and "accidentally" got to 90+ mph in 5th.
Its also hard to make the argument that a TJ cannot do 80-90+ MPH.

You saying that your TJ has issues keeping speed above 80 MPH while cruising in 5th gear uphill does not support the argument either. It was kind of misleading how you stated this previously. This post here:

Quote:
Yes, that's exactly what I said. With 3.55s and 33s, your issue isn't gearing, it's horsepower. I doubt that 17 year old 4.0 has the guts to hit 80. My 16 year old 4.0 with 33s and 4.56s has issues keeping speed above 80 with any kind of elevation change.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2014, 03:51 PM   #35
IlliniJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Its also hard to make the argument that a TJ cannot do 80-90+ MPH.

You saying that your TJ has issues keeping speed above 80 MPH while cruising in 5th gear uphill does not support the argument either. It was kind of misleading how you stated this previously. This post here:
Fine. There's a reason why I don't have a ****ing clue about any this: driving a lifted TJ over 80 mph is borderline suicidal. I don't even take my TJ onto the interstate (70 MPH speed limit) when I've got my kids in the car because I don't feel that it's safe.
Unread 06-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #36
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Was it a radar or a laser ticket?
To best determine how to defend against a speeding ticket that you have received and are disputing, you should speak with an attorney who is experienced in dealing with speeding violations. Because of the differences in types of speeding tickets, and the complexity of the laws, it can become very difficult to beat a speeding ticket, and you'll want a qualified and knowledgeable lawyer on your side.If you lose, your insurances rate like everything else is going to be greatly impacted.Does Texas offer traffic school? Here in Ca. it does, you still will pay the fine take the school which costs but at least it doesn't go on your driving record,so not insurance hike. I believe it's only offered every 18 mos. with no tickets in between.Good luck!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2014, 05:58 PM   #37
99SprintST
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I regularly drive my '01 with 130k on it over 80-85 mph on the interstate. I do 300-500 mile days 6 days a week in it. Going west on I-70 out of Denver up Floyd Hill maintain 80 no problem. For you flatlanders out there, this is a Rocky Mountain version of a hill. Runaway truck ramp on tge downhill side and creeper lanes going up. 373 gears, 31" MTR Kevlars that are much heavier than most tires, and full Rokmen armor plus a winch. Will it hit the ton? Yep. No problem. Recommended? Nope. But it certainly will go in excess of 100 without a tail wind or a downhill to make it happen.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using JeepForum
99SprintST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2014, 06:12 PM   #38
bisleywrangler
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I drove my 97 4.0 with ax15 and 33 tyres at an indicated 70 (uk speed limit) for. 200 miles only later to realise that the Speedo was set for 28" tyres, guessing was doing around 90?
bisleywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2014, 07:08 PM   #39
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiebob View Post
-------
Agreed, And the cop will say you were runnin" downhill with tailwind. Your only hope is proving the equipment the cop was using was faulty!
street name, direction of travel, and time of day are probably on the ticket. Weather reports can be found online, to find the general direction of the wind.

I bet you could do 100 in a jeep. My 70 year old willys will do better than 65, and it's only limited because that's as fast as the motor will spin. My TJ I've done 90 while passing someone, it'll go faster, but not that I'd really like to.
Unread 06-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #40
Trespasser
1999 TJ Wrangler 

In 2002 I got a ticket doing 100mph on the NY Thruway in my '98 Sahara. And I WAS doing 100, for about 30 minutes until I got caught. That Jeep was topped out: I had it floored in 4th gear (5th would actually lose power and slow the Jeep down a bit). On the downhills the needle went past 100 to maybe 105 range.

I dont drive like that anymore, and my current TJ starts feeling iffy when I get over 55mph... At 100 it would self-destruct.
Trespasser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2014, 08:25 PM   #41
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trespasser View Post
In 2002 I got a ticket doing 100mph on the NY Thruway in my '98 Sahara. And I WAS doing 100, for about 30 minutes until I got caught. That Jeep was topped out: I had it floored in 4th gear (5th would actually lose power and slow the Jeep down a bit). On the downhills the needle went past 100 to maybe 105 range.

I dont drive like that anymore, and my current TJ starts feeling iffy when I get over 55mph... At 100 it would self-destruct.
Strange that you were able to get the speedo to exceed the typical 96 MPH speed governer.

My 98 would not go faster than the speedo showing 96 MPH.

I wasn't actually traveling this speed, this was shortly after a regear and I still had the incorrect speed gear.

I was only doing about 60 MPH, but since the speedo was showing 96, I couldn't travel any faster. Those few days with the wrong speedo gear sucked driving the highway to work.

Now that I have a motor swap, different PCM, and different speedo, I am limited to 117 MPH on the speedo.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2014, 08:48 PM   #42
NYGLT56
Your Local Body Builder
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJeeper
Fine. There's a reason why I don't have a ****ing clue about any this: driving a lifted TJ over 80 mph is borderline suicidal. I don't even take my TJ onto the interstate (70 MPH speed limit) when I've got my kids in the car because I don't feel that it's safe.
That sucks. I feel pretty damn safe in my Tj rolling 80+.

VOTE TJOTY!!!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...arted-2893337/
NYGLT56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2014, 08:50 PM   #43
NYGLT56
Your Local Body Builder
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ
Strange that you were able to get the speedo to exceed the typical 96 MPH speed governer. My 98 would not go faster than the speedo showing 96 MPH. I wasn't actually traveling this speed, this was shortly after a regear and I still had the incorrect speed gear. I was only doing about 60 MPH, but since the speedo was showing 96, I couldn't travel any faster. Those few days with the wrong speedo gear sucked driving the highway to work. Now that I have a motor swap, different PCM, and different speedo, I am limited to 117 MPH on the speedo.
Yup. I was limited to 50 once. That sucked. But I also found you can bypass the limiter by disconnecting the speedo gear. Hit 112 on a top speed run on a closed course. And man it was hard.

VOTE TJOTY!!!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...arted-2893337/
NYGLT56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2014, 11:01 PM   #44
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You guys going anywhere near 100 in a jeep are either suicidal or just young and indestructible , slow down, get a sports car, then getting a 100mph ticket won't be so hard to take
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2014, 11:21 PM   #45
jimk403
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe108 View Post
You guys going anywhere near 100 in a jeep are either suicidal or just young and indestructible , slow down, get a sports car, then getting a 100mph ticket won't be so hard to take
I don't know, 2 of ours will do 100 or more with absolutely no issues. The JK does 100 easy, then it cuts out because I have not raised the speed limiter. The '90 XJ has been to 110.
If you(generalization) don't feel safe driving your Jeep fast, maybe you should fix whatever is wrong with it.

Tags
police brutality , specs , speeds , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.