Why my TJ can't go 100 mph - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Why my TJ can't go 100 mph

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap SkidRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-11-2014, 09:05 AM   #1
Taelornacho
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Why my TJ can't go 100 mph

I got pulled over for going 100 mph which is strange because I have never had my Jeep go anywhere near that fast. Because I am innocent, I am fighting the ticket. Can anyone explain, or point me in the direction of someone who can, in technical and easy terms to help me understand why my jeep can not go that fast.

I know it has something to with the fact that the way it is geared, the engine can not turn the weight of the over sized tires. Other than that, I have no idea.

Pleas help!

Taelornacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 09:13 AM   #2
raven4640

aerodynamics of a brick wall
raven4640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 09:13 AM   #3
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

100 as in you were going 70 and for some reason the cop clocked you going 30 over that or you were going 93 and felt that a 100 mph ticket just isn't right? If you were clocked at 100 and you were near 100 (above or slightly below) sorry dude but you deserve a ticket. And for the record, my tj with a stock 4.0, 4.88's and 35's on steelies with about 400 lbs of added goodness can go 100 if I try. I'll throw a check engine code for my CAT working to hard but I can do it! Only way your gonna get out of that one is if you can get the judge to take your jeep for a high speed drive or maybe even GoPro (video) it with the pedal mashed to the floor in the area where you were fined. Then again, that's self incriminating in its own right.
brokenyoujoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #4
Taelornacho
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've tried over and over again to get it to go faster but I can not! I was going around 75 when I got pulled over, that's what the GPS said.
Taelornacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 09:22 AM   #5
Jeepsr4me

Ask the Judge if he would like to take a ride and see it can not go that fast.....
Or get a cop to ride along with ya and have them write you a affidavit of events.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #6
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Seems like I recall threads that suggest some jeeps have a governor that kicks in in the mid-90s, although I don't recall whether that was ever really confirmed.
Unread 06-11-2014, 09:26 AM   #7
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

raven4640 is exactly correct. With any vehicle, the faster you go, the more difficult it is (due to increased air pressure) to get that next mph. Because the TJ has the aerodynamics of a billboard it is impossible to achieve speeds that other, even significantly less powerful vehicles, can.

However, we cannot say the TJ is incapable of 100 mph. There are several Youtube videos demonstrating that they are indeed capable of just that and more. Looking at your profile I don't see any reason your Jeep couldn't hit 100.

Pay your ticket and slow down before you kill yourself, or worse yet, someone else. (it's always the young ones...)
JStMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 09:28 AM   #8
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've had my old Jeep on 35's up to 93 mph. 100 mph on a slight downhill would be possible.
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Yeap its your nuts that giving you the trouble here...... Get the right ones
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #9
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelornacho View Post
I've tried over and over again to get it to go faster but I can not! I was going around 75 when I got pulled over, that's what the GPS said.
75mph in what speed zone? Was 75mph over the limit for that area?

You've got the GPS data. Look up the max speed/velocity the GPS has traveled at...my Garmin saves that at least. If it shows 75mph, your defense is solid.

You testify in court that you were going 75mph, and you have proof - show the GPS data. If 75mph is over the limit in that area, you take the ticket for the lesser offense.

Your next job is put further reasonable doubt into the mind of the judge by methodically drawing into question the calibration of the radar/laser gun, and the cops ability to use it. There are specific effective angles these operate in - you have to show doubt that the officer wasn't in the right location, using the gun in the proper orientation/angle to get an accurate reading of your speed. Did the cop have his window up? Having the window up will throw off the measurements as well.

Were you in traffic? Were there other vehicles around you? Show doubt that the cop targeted the right vehicle with the speedo gun, and then suggest maybe he pulled the wrong vehicle over.

There's all sorts of tactics here. Plenty of reading on the internet how to get out of tickets. The last line of defense I would bring up is that a TJ isn't capable of going that fast. You've got plenty of stuff to try before that.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #10
RubiLongSox
2006 LJ Wrangler 

First check if your Jeep has a governor. Mine cuts off about 94. Second, as Unlimited04 said, introduce other doubts. The police radar guns are supposed to be calibrated on certain intervals, I don't know what interval, could be yearly could be ever 5 years. Anyway, the measurement of the radar gun is inadmissible if it is not calibrated properly. Request the records for when the last time the officers radar gun was calibrated, it might very well be overdue for calibration.

Good Luck
Unread 06-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #11
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Did you really tag this thread "police brutality"?
Ever get hammerlocked, and dropped on your face by an arresting LEO?
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 09:54 AM   #12
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Speed limiter kicks in when the speedo reads 96 MPH. Its not based on actual speed, its based on the speedo reading.

You could be doing 60 or 100 when the speedo reads 96 MPH, so this doesn't prove anything.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #13
IlliniJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Your 97 should have a governor that limits the top speed to 90-95 mph.

That said, with an AX15, 3.55 gears, and 33s, I highly doubt you could get anywhere near 90 mph unless you drove it off a cliff.

That said, if you didn't correct your speedo when you put on your larger tires, if your speedo shows you're going 90, you're actually going 100.
Unread 06-11-2014, 09:59 AM   #14
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKdeuce
Did you really tag this thread "police brutality"? Ever get hammerlocked, and dropped on your face by an arresting LEO?
Just noticed that too. Facepalm.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #15
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJeeper View Post
Your 97 should have a governor that limits the top speed to 90-95 mph.

That said, with an AX15, 3.55 gears, and 33s, I highly doubt you could get anywhere near 90 mph unless you drove it off a cliff.

That said, if you didn't correct your speedo when you put on your larger tires, if your speedo shows you're going 90, you're actually going 100.
The speed limiter is based on speedo reading, not actual speed.

With 3.55s and 33s, you're geared for top speed.

I guarantee that TJ could hit 90 mph.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.