Why are Jeeps so expensive? (TJ) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Why are Jeeps so expensive? (TJ)

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-19-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
sydney

Why are Jeeps so expensive? (TJ)

I'm in the market to buy a new toy as I live in Massachusetts and need something a little more capable than my current rear wheel drive car. And I've been wanting a TJ forever. I'll put in the disclaimer that I don't know much about them... Here's my wishlist:

-Older to help cut down on the price (97-00ish)
-5 speed
-Moderate lift (~4")
-33-35" tires
-No rust issues
-Less than 90k miles

What kind of price can I expect to pay for something like this? I can't help but feel like EVERY seller is being delusional with their asking prices. Seriously, would any one actually pay $9k+ for a 14 year old vehicle with 160,000 miles on it? That seems like an absolute rip off, but that also appears to be the going price. Am I the one being delusional?

sydney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney View Post
I'm in the market to buy a new toy as I live in Massachusetts and need something a little more capable than my current rear wheel drive car. And I've been wanting a TJ forever. I'll put in the disclaimer that I don't know much about them... Here's my wishlist:

-Older to help cut down on the price (97-00ish)
-5 speed
-Moderate lift (~4")
-33-35" tires
-No rust issues
-Less than 90k miles

What kind of price can I expect to pay for something like this? I can't help but feel like EVERY seller is being delusional with their asking prices. Seriously, would any one actually pay $9k+ for a 14 year old vehicle with 160,000 miles on it? That seems like an absolute rip off, but that also appears to be the going price. Am I the one being delusional?

Welcome to JF.

If that is what they are going for then that may be what you have to pay. I have an 01 and I wouldn't sell it for 9k. They are a more unique vehicle compared to others. Supply and demand.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
thunderdan2000
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You can find cheaper but you will shell out $$$$ in repairs. The question you have to ask yourself is how much work you are willing to do. Putting in work will get it exactly the way you want but might end up costing more.
thunderdan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
TxJeeper20
1982 CJ5 

look for a stocker , dont worry bout a lift or big tires get those later yourself

saves cash in initial purchase

also is probably seen far less offroad than a lifted modded rig

look underneath for scratches /evidence of trail use is a talking point to get better price

and remember find a motivated seller because cash talks
2003 Honda VTX 1300R
2005 Infiniti G35
TxJeeper20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Why are TJs so expensive? Because they're worth it.
Unread 10-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #6
yamaguy01
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Location: McGuire AFB (Ft. Dix), NJ/Oxford, NC, I can't wait until I get to leave NJ!
Well one factor is that you live in the NE. Salt gets to most vehicles there so there are fewer "older" vehicles left worth buying. The ones you might find will be inflated a bit when compared to vehicles from other areas. Also, like Ross said, "Supply and demand". There is a huge Jeep following so demand is high for a used Jeep. Good luck and welcome to the forum!
Square Headlights group member #222
Armed Forces Jeeps group member #65
United States Air Force group member #12
Guns and Jeeps group member #10
Ron Paul Jeepers group member #7
yamaguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
AntiPrius
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxJeeper16 View Post
look for a stocker , dont worry bout a lift or big tires get those later yourself

saves cash in initial purchase

also is probably seen far less offroad than a lifted modded rig

look underneath for scratches /evidence of trail use is a talking point to get better price

and remember find a motivated seller because cash talks
I disagree with this a little bit. Back when I was looking for one, summer of 08, stockers seemed to cost the same amount as lifted ones. I ended up buying my 2000 with a brand new lift and brand new tires for $9000. Had I bought a stocker, I would have had to dump another $2500 to get it to where mine already was.

Now, mine was obviously not beat on or I wouldn't have bought it, but it was nice not to have to pay for the extra's like the lift and tires.
AntiPrius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
dwbrown
2014 JK Wrangler 

It also depends when you're buying. During the summer/warmer months, prices go up because more people want a Jeep. Winter months/colder months people realize that the Jeep they bought has a ****ty top on it and you have to dress like you're going on an arctic expedition just to drive 3 miles, so there is a surge of Jeeps on the market. If I was you, I would try and wait a few more weeks when its really cold (whatever that is for you northerners, down here 50 is pretty damn cold) then you will see a good bit more Jeeps pop up at lower prices. Just my .2 that noone will read.
Unread 10-20-2011, 12:01 AM   #9
hotrodjeeper
1998 ZJ 

^ I read and I agree as thats what I did last year when a friend and I decided to get Jeeps But I didnt end up getting a wrangler...
Unread 10-20-2011, 12:03 AM   #10
GoneJeepin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I got my T.J 2000 with 98,000 miles hard top soft top bikini top 31inch BFG MT (300 miles on them) minor rust issues 5spd 4wd 4.0l full doors ect for about 9,000 here in michigan. If you want cheaper I say go for 2.5l but thats if you can stand a 2.5l lol.
GoneJeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2011, 12:09 AM   #11
AntiPrius
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The bad news as a new buyer is, TJ's don't lose a ton of value, but it won't loose that much more even if you sell it years later.

My little over 3 year old to me now, 2000 Wrangler was purchased for $9000, and today, I could probably sell it for nearly the same amount.

It's not a lose, lose ordeal.
AntiPrius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2011, 12:16 AM   #12
JacKedUP4x4
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneJeepin
I got my T.J 2000 with 98,000 miles hard top soft top bikini top 31inch BFG MT (300 miles on them) minor rust issues 5spd 4wd 4.0l full doors ect for about 9,000 here in michigan. If you want cheaper I say go for 2.5l but thats if you can stand a 2.5l lol.
I wish I would have thought about the 2.5 more before ibought it. If I could go back I would have got a stock 4.0
Unread 10-20-2011, 12:37 AM   #13
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What's the problem with YJ's?

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2011, 03:06 AM   #14
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

In NC last year when I was looking for a Jeep. I ran across quite a few TJ's that were in great condition and priced 5800-7000k. That was in the beginning of the summer.

Most had the 6plopper.
95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
Drix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2011, 05:07 AM   #15
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
What's the problem with YJ's?
x2

A lot easier to fix as well, I love coil spring suspensions... but when I need to get under one? **** that!

All the TJs I've been in (except for two) didn't feel like a jeep for some reason, maybe cause the owners were all mall crawlers. The two that felt like jeeps had 35s, I6, and both owners happen to be bald!

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.