Why I'm not buying WARN... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Why I'm not buying WARN...

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 10-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Why I'm not buying WARN...

First: long story short, had a Warn winch that just stopped working. After a huge runaround, I ended up talking to a guy in the corporate office. I told him that instead of trying to repair the winch, I'd rather buy a new one at a small discount. He said that he'd contact a distributor and call me back. I never got a call back, so a week later I called back, spoke with him, and got the same promise. Nothing ever happened, even after many promises and phone calls.

Second: I found out that the reason that all Warn winches are priced, to the cent, exactly the same, is because Warn requires retailers to sell only at that price...never less. I think it's wrong and totally against the way retail and sales have and should work. Price fixing?

Don't get me wrong, Warn makes a great product, however, these recent events have made me think twice about supporting their product.

What are your thoughts guys?

Unread 10-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
caseyrocksit
2013 JK Wrangler 

It's unfortunate that you've had to go thru all that!! I know the frustrations involved. Also good to have insight how companies work and operate with they're transactions and how they support customer service . I'm in the market for a winch on my winch ready bumper and often have looked at Warn products wondering about price ,differences and the reasoning ! Guess now I know a little more. I keep looking...but to different makers . Hope it all works out for you!
"Wave"😊

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
caseyrocksit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
the59sound
2007 JK Wrangler 

there are a lot of companies that do that to retailers. one major one is apple. their computers, phones, tablets, and all other products with their name and logo on it are all fixed pricing. I know this b/c I've been I different retailors for over 6 years. as for warn and that display of customer service isn't very good. but how long have you had that winch? was it out of warranty? what caused it to quit working? all of these things you have to take into consideration for even trying to get them to give you any type of discount. I'm in a similar boat as you right now. my warn 9.5hs motor died on me and it is going to cost $300 to get a new motor...at that price I could buy an engo winch brand new.
Gulf Coast Jeep Club Member #3
Confidence is the feeling you have before you truly understand the situation.
the59sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Minimum advertised price and resale price maintenance agreements have definitely been in the courts from time to time. I believe the current legal standard is something like a "rule of reason" - a pro business position. They are pretty common with established, high quality brands that have the teeth to make sure there are consequences for distributors who don't abide by them.
Unread 10-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the59sound View Post
there are a lot of companies that do that to retailers. one major one is apple. their computers, phones, tablets, and all other products with their name and logo on it are all fixed pricing. I know this b/c I've been I different retailors for over 6 years. as for warn and that display of customer service isn't very good. but how long have you had that winch? was it out of warranty? what caused it to quit working? all of these things you have to take into consideration for even trying to get them to give you any type of discount. I'm in a similar boat as you right now. my warn 9.5hs motor died on me and it is going to cost $300 to get a new motor...at that price I could buy an engo winch brand new.
Not sure why the winch stopped. It worked fine for the couple years of use. I removed it of my xj before selling it and the winch stayed in my semi warm garage for a year before I was ready to install it on my tj. I ended up letting my friend have it. He is a bit of a procrastinator, so he hasn't had time to check it out.
Unread 10-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
ncb

So the winch is 3 or 4 years old and you expect Warn to give you a discount for a new winch?
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I have had nothing but phenomenal dealings with Warns’ Customer Service and Tech people over the years and will never even consider another brand of winches.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
joeyk803c
2003 TJ Wrangler 

A lot of companies do this "price fixing" to insure rip-offs aren't made and branded with their name, at a substantially lower price. Levis Jeans, Apple and Samsung are 3 brands that do this. It comes down to this, people are too stupid to realize that a "brand new" pair of Levis selling for $20 with a tag sewn on the back, but nothing inside the jeans are not "real" levis. Then the jeans rip, stretch easy. They fade to quickly. Those people now blame Levis for it, and it goes on and on.

Sorry to hear about your dealings with Warn. Best is to move on, and find another brand.
joeyk803c is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #9
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Warn has always been great to me. Customer service has always been good at sending me wiring diagrams and such. I didn't even buy the winch new, so they have never seen a cent of mine till I ordered parts thru my distributor.

So, your 3+ year old winch broke and you want a discount on a new one? That is dumb. The guy should have been good enough to call you back but that is plain dumb. If you do something to your jeep, are you going to call jeep and request a discount?

And price fixing? Haha. When I was working for a similar industry selling stuff, 90% of manufacturers have msrp.... Manufacturers suggested retail price. And I have seen companies that require the retailer to spend them copies of their sales receipts when they order new stock.

Winches are pretty easy if you are willing to get you hands dirty. Warn and a few companies online are their distributors for parts. Research, test, order parts, install, winch. I rebuilt my warn and it is older than I am and older than the 2 jeeps it has been mounted on.
Unread 10-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #10
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
So the winch is 3 or 4 years old and you expect Warn to give you a discount for a new winch?
They said that they would do it, then not follow through. That's the complaint.
Unread 10-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #11
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
So, your 3+ year old winch broke and you want a discount on a new one? That is dumb. The guy should have been good enough to call you back but that is plain dumb. If you do something to your jeep, are you going to call jeep and request a discount?
If my several year old Jeep just stopped working and I wanted to trade it in, Ya, I would expect some sort of discount. Especially if I've owned several.
Unread 10-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #12
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyk803c View Post
A lot of companies do this "price fixing" to insure rip-offs aren't made and branded with their name, at a substantially lower price. Levis Jeans, Apple and Samsung are 3 brands that do this. It comes down to this, people are too stupid to realize that a "brand new" pair of Levis selling for $20 with a tag sewn on the back, but nothing inside the jeans are not "real" levis. Then the jeans rip, stretch easy. They fade to quickly. Those people now blame Levis for it, and it goes on and on.
All of the brands you listed above I've seen and purchased on sale from major retail stores. Every website or store I've been to that sells Warn, never has sales or discounts. (please correct me if I'm wrong). They are the same price everywhere.
Unread 10-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
joeyk803c
2003 TJ Wrangler 

All those "sale" prices are the same everywhere. Retailers are not allowed to sell for lower than prices that the companies allow for. I do sale sign setup for my full time job.
joeyk803c is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 04:18 AM   #14
SilverStreaker
2012 JK Wrangler 

What you are referring to is not MSRP, it is MAP pricing. Which is 'minimum advertised price', this is the lowest price which the manufacturer specifies the item can be advertised at. If the retailer wants to they can offer discount or sale coupons but being in both the retail and wholesales businesses I've found there's usually no incentive to discount a MAP priced item as it can't easily be bought elsewhere for less. Is it price fixing? Perhaps, but is it wrong, not in my opinion because there are ways around it for a budding entrepreneur. As to your discount request, I don't see a problem with that either. If it means keeping a repeat customer or losing one to the competition than I sure would be offering you something. The only mistake you made was asking the manufacture, you need to be asking on of the vendors whom you've done business with in the past for the repeat discount. Just my long winded .02

My Wife's Jeep - 2007 Grand Cherokee - only mod - K&N Cold Air Intake system
SilverStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #15
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy206 View Post
If my several year old Jeep just stopped working and I wanted to trade it in, Ya, I would expect some sort of discount. Especially if I've owned several.
People who think they are entitled to certain things like this, really make me laugh... You can't just trust the brand name, you have to take money off of a hardworkers hands, the money that feed their family and pays for their house, just so you can get a quick discount...
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.