Why don't people buy rubicons - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Why don't people buy rubicons

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 10-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #91
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy206 View Post
Maybe were jumping to conclusions. Hell, I've been accused of never taking my Rubi off road. People always ask, and are suprised to find out that I do. "It's so clean" or "It looks brand new", are some of the comments I get. Ya....it's called taking care of your Jeep. I'll get her all muddy and dirty, then I'll take a few hours to clean, pressure wash, etc....so it lasts a long, long time.
I have to agree here. I wash my Black Rubicon regularly and people always ask "Why don't you take it offroad?". Haven't gotten many scratches or dents yet that I need to hide with more dirt :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogleparsons View Post
it isn't needed because the JK has computer controlled brake locking differential feature front/rear
I had an 05 TJ with the LSD rear and of course the new Rubicon has BLD. BLD grabs the spinning wheel while the LSD clutches the wheels together by use of clutch packs in the differential.

I've found BLD more likely makes me lose power, whereas LSD would allow me to power through a slip situation. This might be biased by the rest of the JK traction control as it will throttle down if it thinks you might be losing control.

That Traction control light on my dash sees me quite often :P

Demp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #92
docbud
The Mac Lover

2013 JK Wrangler 

I would have loved to have gotten a Rubicon, but budget constraints were a factor. In fact, I'm leasing my new 2013 Wrangler Sport. This is my third jeep. I had an '98 TJ, an '06 X, and now this baby.

I will probably get laughed at and possibly demonized, but I've never taken any one of them off road.

First of all, I don't have the time. And, I just simply love Jeep Wranglers. And with all the snow we get here in Syracuse, NY, I'm glad I've had them. Knock on wood--I've never ever been stuck or had a problem with the heavy snow. And I'm definitely not taking my new '13 off road because I'm leasing it.

And--if I went off road--I couldn't afford to keep the thing repaired. I had nothing but death wobble issues with my '06 for almost two years. And that was just regular street driving. Constantly replacing front U-joints, sway bar link ends (or whatever they are called), etc. And, of course, the dealer always kept replacing the dampener (I went through 3 of them in a six month period). While some of the streets here are in bad shape, it's not like I was driving through potholes at 40 mph or something.

Anyway--I've got the '13 now.

And, I'm one of those folks who only uses his Jeep as a daily drive. I didn't have three Wranglers because I just want the name "Jeep" on it; nor did I buy them because I was trying to be cool and impress; nor because my mommy or daddy gave it to me. I'm 50 years old.

To me there is nothing wrong with having a Wrangler that is a daily drive. I've always liked Wranglers. I love how they drive, how they handle, and how they kick butt in those snow storms that dump 2 feet of snow overnight and I need to get to work. Sure, my '98 was a kidney buster but I loved it anyway. And my 06 I loved. And this new '13 I really love.

But back to the topic at hand--I saw a Rubicon I really liked, but it was $36,000 and the Sport was $27,000. I went with the Sport. And I also knew that I had no need for a Rubicon.
Unread 10-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #93
JoeCitizen
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbud View Post
I would have loved to have gotten a Rubicon, but budget constraints were a factor. In fact, I'm leasing my new 2013 Wrangler Sport. This is my third jeep. I had an '98 TJ, an '06 X, and now this baby.

I will probably get laughed at and possibly demonized, but I've never taken any one of them off road.

First of all, I don't have the time. And, I just simply love Jeep Wranglers. And with all the snow we get here in Syracuse, NY, I'm glad I've had them. Knock on wood--I've never ever been stuck or had a problem with the heavy snow. And I'm definitely not taking my new '13 off road because I'm leasing it.

And--if I went off road--I couldn't afford to keep the thing repaired. I had nothing but death wobble issues with my '06 for almost two years. And that was just regular street driving. Constantly replacing front U-joints, sway bar link ends (or whatever they are called), etc. And, of course, the dealer always kept replacing the dampener (I went through 3 of them in a six month period). While some of the streets here are in bad shape, it's not like I was driving through potholes at 40 mph or something.

Anyway--I've got the '13 now.

And, I'm one of those folks who only uses his Jeep as a daily drive. I didn't have three Wranglers because I just want the name "Jeep" on it; nor did I buy them because I was trying to be cool and impress; nor because my mommy or daddy gave it to me. I'm 50 years old.

To me there is nothing wrong with having a Wrangler that is a daily drive. I've always liked Wranglers. I love how they drive, how they handle, and how they kick butt in those snow storms that dump 2 feet of snow overnight and I need to get to work. Sure, my '98 was a kidney buster but I loved it anyway. And my 06 I loved. And this new '13 I really love.

But back to the topic at hand--I saw a Rubicon I really liked, but it was $36,000 and the Sport was $27,000. I went with the Sport. And I also knew that I had no need for a Rubicon.
Lots of folks have pickup trucks and never scratch the bed because they refuse to put anything in it. I see 3/4 and 1 tone diesel trucks by the dozen every day and they are not pulling or hauling anything, probably never do. You see 400 horse power Camaros and Mustangs everywhere and they likely never exceed 80 miles an hour. Many will never use more than a couple hundred of that 400 horses under the hood. Does any of this bother me? Not the tinniest bit. It's their money. If it brings a pride of ownership and they feel good when they walk out to drive it hey, good for them. I really don't understand why people get worked up when someone is not using a vehicle as they feel they should be.
JoeCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #94
Bigshankhank
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCitizen
Lots of folks have pickup trucks and never scratch the bed because they refuse to put anything in it. I see 3/4 and 1 tone diesel trucks by the dozen every day and they are not pulling or hauling anything, probably never do. You see 400 horse power Camaros and Mustangs everywhere and they likely never exceed 80 miles an hour. Many will never use more than a couple hundred of that 400 horses under the hood. Does any of this bother me? Not the tinniest bit. It's their money. If it brings a pride of ownership and they feel good when they walk out to drive it hey, good for them. I really don't understand why people get worked up when someone is not using a vehicle as they feel they should be.
Agreed, but on the opposite end of the spectrum I have a problem with folks who refuse to utilize the capabilities of their machines, also. I work in construction, my last truck was a '00 Ram 1500 Off-Road in black, leather and all the trimmings. It was gorgeous, but it was a work truck and I tossed stuff into the bed and bounced around construction sites and put that truck through its paces because deep down that's all it was. At the same time I worked alongside guys who refused to put anything in the bed of their truck nor even park in a gravel lot because their truck was pristine. I get that not everyone can afford to repair dents and scratches and punctured tires, but your Silverado Z71 is a truck, don't abuse it but don't treat it kid gloves, either. Same with Jeeps I suppose, nothing says you have to take a Rubicon deep into the woods, but at its heart it is a utility vehicle, so don't be scared to knock it around a bit. Scars tell a more interesting story about a person than a well pressed suit ever will.
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #95
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

If you dont offroad there probably a better suv you can get... If you offroad there probably a better offroad rig.. Comes down to what you want.
Unread 10-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #96
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls1man2020 View Post
It makes me wonder why more jeep owners don't buy jeep rubicons? Is there something that I don't know about the rubicon?
You don't really need one for general wheeling. The Sport/Sahara is plenty capable. I've taken my Rubi all over Colorado and the feature I've really used the most isn't the sway bar disconnect or the lockers, but the 4:1 low-range. I've certainly used the lockers, but I'm sure not having them would've merely challenged the Jeep more and I would've made it anyway.

The only reason I got the Rubi I have now was the small price difference between it and the Sahara.
Unread 10-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #97
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshankhank View Post
Agreed, but on the opposite end of the spectrum I have a problem with folks who refuse to utilize the capabilities of their machines, also. I work in construction, my last truck was a '00 Ram 1500 Off-Road in black, leather and all the trimmings. It was gorgeous, but it was a work truck and I tossed stuff into the bed and bounced around construction sites and put that truck through its paces because deep down that's all it was. At the same time I worked alongside guys who refused to put anything in the bed of their truck nor even park in a gravel lot because their truck was pristine. I get that not everyone can afford to repair dents and scratches and punctured tires, but your Silverado Z71 is a truck, don't abuse it but don't treat it kid gloves, either. Same with Jeeps I suppose, nothing says you have to take a Rubicon deep into the woods, but at its heart it is a utility vehicle, so don't be scared to knock it around a bit. Scars tell a more interesting story about a person than a well pressed suit ever will.
This is where I am, as well. My dad works in construction and has owned Rams for 20+ years. His trucks have always been cared for, but never babied, honest work trucks. For his latest, he lowered it about as far as he could. One reason was because it was different than the other trucks at the job sites. Another reason was because he was tired of lifting materials into a needlessly high truck bed. Why work harder? Tools should be used and the right tool for the job is a great thing.

I have already explained my feelings as to why a street queen Rubicon is a silly waste whereas a high performance sports car that never sees a track is far less of one, so I won't repeat myself.

Another story, sort of and sort of related. I occasionally have done work for a guy who, along with a very cool and nicely used Land Rover D90, has a Ferrari Enzo parked in his garage with a thick layer of dust over it. I have had to carefully crawl around and over it to get at various things over the years. I don't think I have ever begrudged the fact that he owns a very rare million dollar car. I do have mixed feelings about it not being shown off. What does bother me is that it just sits there hidden away gathering dust. It isn't being used-for anything. And in the case of this particular car, that is probably to its detriment. It feels like a waste.
Unread 10-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #98
justin credible
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvw View Post
I occasionally have done work for a guy who, along with a very cool and nicely used Land Rover D90, has a Ferrari Enzo parked in his garage with a thick layer of dust over it. I have had to carefully crawl around and over it to get at various things over the years. I don't think I have ever begrudged the fact that he owns a very rare million dollar car. I do have mixed feelings about it not being shown off. What does bother me is that it just sits there hidden away gathering dust. It isn't being used-for anything. And in the case of this particular car, that is probably to its detriment. It feels like a waste.
Pics or it didn't happen.
The Enzo is rare and was only offered to repeat buyers, so I find it hard to believe that someone out there has only an Enzo and not at least one other Ferrari in the garage.

I do agree with you though that any car not being driven is being wasted, no matter the rarity or cost.
justin credible is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #99
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin credible View Post

Pics or it didn't happen.
The Enzo is rare and was only offered to repeat buyers, so I find it hard to believe that someone out there has only an Enzo and not at least one other Ferrari in the garage.
I know.

Some people out there have two, sometimes three houses with their stuff spread around between them. Pics won't be happening because I like my job.
Unread 10-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #100
panthermark
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demp View Post

I had an 05 TJ with the LSD rear and of course the new Rubicon has BLD. BLD grabs the spinning wheel while the LSD clutches the wheels together by use of clutch packs in the differential.

I've found BLD more likely makes me lose power, whereas LSD would allow me to power through a slip situation. This might be biased by the rest of the JK traction control as it will throttle down if it thinks you might be losing control.

That Traction control light on my dash sees me quite often :P
^This...
The #1 reason was LSD over an open diff. For how I'd use the vehicle, it made zero sense for me to pay more money for a vehicle that came with an open diff. I've tried to tell people that traction control is not LSD. My Libby had an open diff and I HATED traction control on wet streets. The biggest drawback is that when it kicks in, you lose momentum as the brakes slow the one wheel that is spinning. You can stand on the gas peddle, but all it will do is chew through your brake pads (unless the engine throttles down). Luckily my JK had Selec-Trac instead of Command-Trac...but when I traded my Libby for my JK, having LSD was an absolute must. That ruled the Rubi out for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank View Post
You don't really need one for general wheeling. The Sport/Sahara is plenty.
^And this...
For light wheeling, a Sport/Sahara is great. Plus there simply isn't a lot of hardcore wheeling in the far west burbs of Chicago.

I see why I'm a loner....and I love it!
panthermark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #101
jeepgal2k12
1996 ZJ 

For one thing, some dealerships really push the Sahara. Some people dont know the difference between a sport, sahara, and rubicon until after they've bought it, and some dealers will exploit this. I've experienced it first hand, and i've read about it on various forums. Plus, my local Chrysler dealership doesn't even carry Rubis.

Me looking at Saharas: Um, where are the Rubicons?
Salesman: Why would you want that?
Me: D44s!
Salesman: *insert look of shock*

I cannot confirm, bur I've heard and read that Rubis are the least likely to go offroad. If you are going to offroad seriously, you will be replacing a lot of parts you paid the initial $$$ for if you got the Rubicon.
Unread 11-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #102
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgal2k12 View Post
For one thing, some dealerships really push the Sahara. Some people dont know the difference between a sport, sahara, and rubicon until after they've bought it, and some dealers will exploit this. I've experienced it first hand, and i've read about it on various forums. Plus, my local Chrysler dealership doesn't even carry Rubis.

I cannot confirm, bur I've heard and read that Rubis are the least likely to go offroad. If you are going to offroad seriously, you will be replacing a lot of parts you paid the initial $$$ for if you got the Rubicon.
I'm betting the reason why is because Jeep enthusiasts will wait after somebody has paid the initial price and depreciated the value some. That way they get it for less than half what the price tag is, and it's still in immaculate condition. I don't think there are that many Jeep enthusiasts out there that will go out and buy a brand spankin new Rubicon. So when you walk up and spit the term D44, "Oh ****, this guy knows what he's talking about."

As far as the Rubi not being likely to go off road more than other models? I can see that. What is it? $43,000 for a Rubicon? Me personally, I'd wheel it all the time, but other people think "top of the line model" and other terms used with cars, so they baby it. I don't know if you get what I mean there but yeah.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #103
jeepgal2k12
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper View Post
I'm betting the reason why is because Jeep enthusiasts will wait after somebody has paid the initial price and depreciated the value some. That way they get it for less than half what the price tag is, and it's still in immaculate condition. I don't think there are that many Jeep enthusiasts out there that will go out and buy a brand spankin new Rubicon. So when you walk up and spit the term D44, "Oh ****, this guy knows what he's talking about."

As far as the Rubi not being likely to go off road more than other models? I can see that. What is it? $43,000 for a Rubicon? Me personally, I'd wheel it all the time, but other people think "top of the line model" and other terms used with cars, so they baby it. I don't know if you get what I mean there but yeah.
I get what you are saying. Some people dont want to spend lots of money on a car just to get it dinged and scratched up on the trails.
Unread 11-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #104
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgal2k12 View Post

I'm not sure where this idea comes from that everyone needs to replace everything that comes on a Rubi to be serious into off roaring...a ton of people keep absolutely all the added components and go off road. A rig doesn't need to be a monster rock crawler for it to be a serious!
AlbertaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 11:22 PM   #105
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJeeper View Post

I'm not sure where this idea comes from that everyone needs to replace everything that comes on a Rubi to be serious into off roaring...a ton of people keep absolutely all the added components and go off road. A rig doesn't need to be a monster rock crawler for it to be a serious!
It's because the internet forums are not a fair representation of all Jeep owners. Most Rubicon owners will keep theirs stock and do just fine for their needs. Much like the majority of other Jeeps will stay largely stock for a very long time. Most of those Jeep owners will never visit these forums.

Also, many of those who do build their Jeeps do it for the image rather than actual functionality. This is the problem of the "go big or go home" mentality. It often ignores driving ability and real functionality in favor of jockish posturing.

There is a reason the good reliable people here will often encourage smaller better modifications that work well for the owner's intentions, over the big showy personalizations that don't actually do what they pretend to do. Do it right or don't do it at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.