Why don't people buy rubicons - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Why don't people buy rubicons

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #76
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

How do these always turn into: "my Jeep's the best because I take it off road and no Rubicon has ever left the pavement"? A lot of people off road with all kinds of Jeeps, and stay on road with all kinds too. If people didn't stay on road with these things they would have stopped making them 30 years ago, so get over it!

Biggest thing with the Rubi I think would be it either fits your needs and wants (and means), or it doesn't. And as I mentioned before, it's a lot easier to pay for all the toys with financing over cash!

AlbertaJeeper is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #77
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I will sound like a jerk for saying this, and this has been said over and over again.

Those who buy a Rubicon with no intentions of ever using them for what they are made to do are opening themselves to legitimate criticism. I would say more so than those who buy a 200mph super car. Who here wouldn't make fun of the business guy who regularly rides an expensive dirt bike to work in the city? There is zero benefit or enjoyment to lockers, sway bar disconnect and 4:1 on the street. What then is the point, other than a misguided purchase or the need to display the sticker? It is safe to say that most people who do this don't spend much time on an internet Jeep forum. We are the minority.

BUT, Jeep (like most other niche market vehicles) often don't get used to their fullest until they reach the 2nd or 3rd owner. The first owner who paid full price wants to take care of their expensive toy. That is fair and understandable. Let them pay full price. Then the rest of us get to save some money when the cool cars hit the secondary market.

Needs are one thing. Wants and desires are very different and different "rules" and social graces apply. Sometimes it's a mine field that requires thicker skin.
Unread 10-24-2013, 03:06 AM   #78
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls1man2020 View Post
Lol. God I wish I lived on the west coast.
Ehhhhh it has its perks sometimes.

That's my buddy's 2012 Rubicon. I think he had it maybe a week or two if even that and we took it out wheelin, and I taught him the basics of how to drive off road. Pretty much showed him why lockers are important, and what his new Rubi is capable of. Then I decided to have some fun with his new toy as seen here.

EDIT: He's since moved up north to WA for a while, and he's wheeled it many times here in CA after this day, and up in WA.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:19 AM   #79
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

2013 Jeep JKUR at 6 months old, just after putting on a MetalCloak 2.5 ARB lift, the 4th time I have wheeled it in this area of New Mexico
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c96t...layer_embedded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4D5itwCHhk
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #80
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I bought my TJ new in 2005, and I went with a Sport. I think a Rubicon would have been a good choice for me, as for one I'll never replace axles (I did get a rear D44 on my Sport). But I didn't buy one as others said due to at the time the cost. Back then, I had a family member ask why I didn't get a Rubicon? I asked why should I have, and the response was, "Because it's got that cool sticker on the hood."

The one issue I've heard about Rubicons long term is the cost of fixing it's stock lockers should something go wrong. I can't say if that's really an issue, but as with my Sport, I'm keeping it a long time so I guess I would have found out had I bought a Rubicon. No matter what, a Rubicon is still a good choice for the best off-road stock vehicle one can buy, and I'd probably buy one new if something happened to my TJ. (God forbid!)

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #81
JoeCitizen
2012 JK Wrangler 

Some would instead ask: "Why not buy a Sahara?"

Me? I bought a Sport. Why? Bucks baby. Am I going to build it up like a Rubicon? Nope. Do I scale dry rivers beds for miles with boulders the size of a refrigerator? Nope. never will.

For me the equation is quite simple: Love Jeeps my whole life + Can finally afford one + Love playing on muddy rutty roads around lakes and rivers = I get to play in a vehicle that I dearly love.

If I had a larger overall budget and could have swung it, I would have loved to buy a Rubicon. As it is the new 2012 JKU was a bit of a stretch for me. I talked them down $2,000 and went with a 6 year loan. At that I can own it without it owning me. I'd love to own a Rubicon if for nothing else the pride of it. It's an awesome machine, even if I never used most of its potential.

When somebody is using their own money I tend to not fault them for living out a dream. I ride a Harley and go to rallies sometimes. A while back I picked up a sticker that still sits on my night stand. It says: "This is my dream; go get your own". I was kind of hoping that by and large the Jeep community felt this way.
JoeCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #82
panthermark
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCitizen View Post
Some would instead ask: "Why not buy a Sahara?"

Me? I bought a Sport. Why? Bucks baby. Am I going to build it up like a Rubicon? Nope. Do I scale dry rivers beds for miles with boulders the size of a refrigerator? Nope. never will.

For me the equation is quite simple: Love Jeeps my whole life + Can finally afford one + Love playing on muddy rutty roads around lakes and rivers = I get to play in a vehicle that I dearly love.

If I had a larger overall budget and could have swung it, I would have loved to buy a Rubicon. As it is the new 2012 JKU was a bit of a stretch for me. I talked them down $2,000 and went with a 6 year loan. At that I can own it without it owning me. I'd love to own a Rubicon if for nothing else the pride of it. It's an awesome machine, even if I never used most of its potential.

When somebody is using their own money I tend to not fault them for living out a dream. I ride a Harley and go to rallies sometimes. A while back I picked up a sticker that still sits on my night stand. It says: "This is my dream; go get your own". I was kind of hoping that by and large the Jeep community felt this way.
I had actually created a "Why did you buy a Sahara?" thread on another forum.

One thing I've never ever ever had (or even understood) was Rubicon envy.

I could have afforded one, but it was scratched off my list early on. Lockers and MT tires are pretty useless to me for where I live and how I use the vehicle. AT tires and LSD (LSD isn't available on the Rubi) all day for me.

If I have any kind of envy, it is location envy instead of Rubi envy.

I see why I'm a loner....and I love it!
panthermark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #83
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I bought a Rubicon. It was awesome.

But I wouldn't do it again.

I put $7,000 down on a $27,000 Jeep. I wish I bought one for $29k and just dumped the $7k right into parts/upgrades. But that's just my situation.

I don't have that jeep anymore , only because I couldn't see putting 3,000 miles a month on expensive tires and all that gas. My "new" XJ does almost everything the Rubi did with 33s and a lunch box locker.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 10-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #84
rubiconrich
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Putting any jeep in a good location is awesome. Location envy is understandable. As JoeCitizen said,"When somebody is using their own money I tend to not fault them for living out a dream. I ride a Harley and go to rallies sometimes. A while back I picked up a sticker that still sits on my night stand. It says: "This is my dream; go get your own". I was kind of hoping that by and large the Jeep community felt this way." He is totally correct. "A jeep is built" is so wrong to say. I am older now. When I was young, I wrenched on everything and finally became a mechanic. Old age and a well-worn body doesn't permit me to wrench but I still own my jeep and don't wish to give it up. It is my dream. I waited many decades to own my Rubi. She's my dream. As I ride over the mountains, I am happy.
rubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 03:03 PM   #85
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthermark View Post
(LSD isn't available on the Rubi)
My Rubi came with LSD, but personally, when I'm wheelin, I'll just lock the rear instead of using the LSD. Way better for the diff.
Unread 10-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #86
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I bought a Rubicon, love it. I've modded it, but not in the axle department, like I was going to have to do to my old YJ with a D30/35 combo. If I ever decide I need stronger axles, bigger gears, I could sell my current set up and move on, but for now the Rubi fits my needs. Driving it to Moab and back has been a blast....I never would have driven my old YJ that far. Had a bought a non-Rubi TJ I'd have had to do as much work to mod it as I would have the YJ.

As for the built not bought scenario, that doesn't really apply to the Rubicon, a Rubicon is bought and then some are built. Built not bought refers to buying one that's already been modified. Jeep builds them, we modify them....otherwise it'd be a buggy.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #87
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

LSD isn't available on JK Rubicon's. TJ's had them.
Unread 10-25-2013, 05:13 AM   #88
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvw View Post
LSD isn't available on JK Rubicon's. TJ's had them.
it isn't needed because the JK has computer controlled brake locking differential feature front/rear
Unread 10-25-2013, 05:50 AM   #89
panthermark
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogleparsons View Post
it isn't needed because the JK has computer controlled brake locking differential feature front/rear
Traction control is no where as quick or smooth as a limited slip differential.
BLD is simply more aggressive traction control software for off-roading.

TJ's had the best of both worlds with a LSD/locker combo. In the JK's, you have to choose.

I see why I'm a loner....and I love it!
panthermark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 06:05 AM   #90
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogleparsons
It does work impressively well if you've ever watched a JK off road vs another open diff vehicle.

And on the built/bought argument: buying parts that someone else designed/cut/bent /welded and then you bolt them on does not equal built. Everyone has their desire for their jeep and even though I judge every one of them I see I still accept that it's their way. Some do make me a little sad though lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.