Why don't people buy rubicons - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Why don't people buy rubicons

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #61
2Five22
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maertz View Post
Hey now im from Wisco....

Based on what I have heard about Wisconsin, the only time a Ram 2500 truck is more off road capable than a Wrangler is in the parking lot of Lambeau Field during game day.

I am just the chauffeur.
2Five22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #62
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Five22 View Post

Based on what I have heard about Wisconsin, the only time a Ram 2500 truck is more off road capable than a Wrangler is in the parking lot of Lambeau Field during game day.

Lol the truth is out....
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #63
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayder1 View Post
...Bottom line,most Rubi owners will agree. We paid more so we don't have to mod some stuff later. Out of the dealership, it suits my needs. There are tons of awesome jeeps to choose from. I just wanted one that was not over the top but ready to go out of the box....l
This sums my opinion up nicely.

You'll find the Rubicon is a "middle of the road" option for those who do go offroad. Those who are going to build out will just skip the Rubicon and its pricier parts they end up replacing. Others who do very minor and/or don't want to put the cash on a rubicon will get by with a sport and be very surprised at how capable it still can be.

The Rubicon sits in the middle, able to do midrange stuff right out of the factory. If that is all you plan to do, it saves the time of tearing the thing apart and more time enjoying that stuff.

Where I live doesn't have severe rock crawls or technical trails, it's mostly mud holes, sand, and water. I drove an 05 TJ with only a 2" lift, no lockers, stock axles, and only had a few instance I wish I had the lockers. Now I do!

Did I overpay just to get lockers? Probably, but I also wanted the extra comfort options available from the sahara/rubicon packages. The extra 2k starts to become drops in bucket.
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #64
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

For my case, it is the hobby aspect of working on my Jeep as much as it is driving it. Working on things and figuring out why and how things work has always been exciting to me. I got a lot of this from my father, an airline mechanic by trade. I rarely witnessed anything he couldn't fix. Some of my earliest memories are of working on our family's cars. I was the kid that had no clue what he was doing, but made sure I was getting as dirty as he was. Some how a lot of that stuck with me. I work in the medical field, in an operating room, one of the cleanest places on earth. Working on cars and getting dirty has always been a way to unwind for me. That being said, had I bought a Rubicon out of the gate for my first Jeep, I think I would have missed out on opportunities to learn as I go as to why things work as they do. While people make the argument that all the money I will spend on upgrades and modifications down the road, I could have saved more money and bought a Rubicon, I don't see it that way at all. My Jeep will be exactly that, my Jeep. It will represent the blood, sweat, and grit I put into it. If I want to change it, I will. If I want to upgrade things myself, I will. If I can't afford it right now, I will save for it. If I don't know how to do it, I will learn. I may not be a mechanic by trade, but I am no slouch at turning a wrench. With all the information available this day in age through forums such as this and the web, things are a lot easier to learn. If I need help, I will ask. The things that are way out of my league, I will hopefully realize it before I get too far. Just another way to look at it, I guess. Having a Jeep has been 2,432 miles of fun so far, and I wish I had gotten into it years ago.
Black 2014 JKU Sport S, 6 speed manual, 3.73 rear end, 2.5" AEV Dualsport XT w/ Bilstein 5100s, 255/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler A/T, Rubicon rock rails, front grill mesh mod, Jeep door sill guards, matte black Jeep grill emblem, matte black exhaust, Synrgy upper and lower bolt swap(highly recommend), tires pending...
Mfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #65
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Buddy of mine has a 06 rubi and just got a 13 rubi for his wife. Vehicles never see dirt...ever....
Shark_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #66
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIUPonyBoy View Post
1. Too much money

2. My truck is more capable.
Want to follow me?

The reason I bought a Rubicon is because for ~3k more when I bought it used I got front and rear lockers, a 4:1 tcase, swaybar disconnect (which might be my favorite feature), HP D44 front axle, and all the bells and whistles that come with a Rubicon. Well worth the additional cost.

It was also something I could afford to do. And yes I use all of the features above every summer and sometimes in the winter. I do not see me ever changing out any of the mentioned parts because they will work excellent for the setup I have and the trails I take my Jeep on.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 11:23 PM   #67
Breitling
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls1man2020 View Post
I was wondering for all the cool jeeps I see everyday. I rarely see any rubicons. Normally I'm the only rubicon out there on most days commuting to work or on the worthless trails we have here in northern va/west va. It makes me wonder why more jeep owners don't buy jeep rubicons? Is there something that I don't know about the rubicon?

Is it obvious reason? I didn't get Sahara or Moab or any other edition as well for the same one I am fine adding good tires and Sahara's running boards to my Sport S
Unread 10-22-2013, 12:06 AM   #68
suicideking
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Lots of Rubi's here in CA. Most of them will never see dirt. I think they buy them for the look. The Sport and Sahara don't have the cool MT tires or the red shocks...

I bought a Sport:
1. Couldn't afford the Rubi. The Sport I bought was at the top of my budget. Instead, I did a front Rubi D44 axle swap and an ARB in the rear. So yeah, I should've started with the Rubi.

2. Didn't have any idea how addicted to wheeling I would get. When I bought my Sport, I didn't know what a locking diff or transfer case were. Told my wife I would NEVER lift and never go larger than 33" tires. She still give me crap for saying those things.
suicideking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 02:16 AM   #69
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Ok guys and gals off it goes to the “Wrangler General Discussion” forum. I gave it a chance to work in the JK tech section but it’s just not working.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #70
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

So if I went to AEV and bought a loaded up JK with supercharged hemi and all of the goodies AEV sells - it would not be a real jeep. Or if I bought all the parts and bolted em on myself it would not be a real Jeep? (If you are bolting on someone else's blue prints, design or construction of sub assembly - you aren't building, you are assmbling someone else's build! Which IS however a part of coachcrafting).

I friend of mine in Car club pointed to his "Real cars are built not bought" sticker out when I first bought my 57 (which since has been rebuilt and modified end to end 100% by me)... "wow says I - so tell me how long did it take you to english wheel those fenders to so perfectly match a real 49Chevy???"

And just to clarify this logic on all grounds - you are saying that a McBurnie Daytona Kit car must sell for more than a real Ferrari gtb365Spyder - after all the owner built it - did NOT just bolt on parts! Maybe the federal judge in that lawsuit got it wrong.

No I tend to believe that most people tend to take the real car and modify it to their own personality - which reduces actual value and alters the form and function balance that may reduce willing buyers which reduces market value. I would pay 3 times more for a box stock, all original showroom ready 57 than I would even jokingly ask for my heavily modified one - and all the auctions, appraisal companies and insurance companies seem to believe the same thing....
Unread 10-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #71
Eckoh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i did not get one cause of cost..not to mention if you are going bigger tire you have to regear anyways.
Eckoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #72
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

There are tons of very clean Rubicons in Denver. Many many people buy them. The better question is why don't they use them -- especially out here! Let others pay full price. Their loss is my gain (less of a loss )

I bought mine used. Which, given the Rubicon's odd tendency to stay on pavement, is a smart way to go IMO. I wanted a Rubicon simply because of the head start it provided. I can put my time and money into other modifications. The plan is only to lift it 3" and run 33"s, but I want to make it as capable as I can while keeping it reasonably low and discrete. Much of what I have planned won't be noticed by most. It will be something of a sleeper Jeep, not a show Jeep. For me a Rubicon is a good platform for this. Given my intentions, I believe the stock lockers will last me a good long time and the 4:1 is already there. Being this is my DD for the foreseeable future, I can't be without it for days/weeks to install another big upgrade. If I want more in a few years, then I'll go bigger. When and if that day comes, I will be better equipped to do the work; since I am doing as much as I can myself.
Unread 10-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #73
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvw
The better question is why don't they use them -
It's good to see someone add new insight to an old debate. In a perfect world, I would take mine out and beat the hell out of it every weekend. Can I? Nope, not right now. Will I? If I ever get the chance. Until then I'll learn from and admire those that can and do. Bought it ready, building it to suit.
Unread 10-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #74
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Happy to oblige...
Unread 10-23-2013, 06:32 AM   #75
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvw View Post
The better question is why don't they use them
Maybe were jumping to conclusions. Hell, I've been accused of never taking my Rubi off road. People always ask, and are suprised to find out that I do. "It's so clean" or "It looks brand new", are some of the comments I get. Ya....it's called taking care of your Jeep. I'll get her all muddy and dirty, then I'll take a few hours to clean, pressure wash, etc....so it lasts a long, long time.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.