Why don't people buy rubicons - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Why don't people buy rubicons

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #31
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

if you gut the underside of your sport and sahara and mod it out...is it still just a sport or sahara? if you were to plan on bigger axles and such in the future why would you waste your money on parts you will replace in a rubicon. if you kept your rubicon how you bought it then its a great vehicle out of the box . some people cant justify spending the money on things they will eventually replace.

That question ia like asking why everyone isnt catholic

www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #32
Turbineguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Come to a mall here in Boise. Loads of Rubicons. I suspect most Rubicons are bought by people who want the cache value of the top of the line then people who will actually use the goodies.

Truth be told, at one point I had wished I had gotten a Rubi instead of my sport, but now that I've added a PR44 front and RJ3 D60 rear, I'm glad I went this route. I also added a Rubi T-Case as well. I will probably upgrade to a Atlas in a year and resell it though.
Unread 10-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #33
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbineguy
Come to a mall here in Boise. Loads of Rubicons.
I suppose they all drive down I84 at 15mph below the posted speed too huh?
Good god I cannot stand driving around there any more! lol

Lots of rubicon a around the west. Plenty of posers at the malls though too. I bought mine to use it.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #34
taoshum
2008 JK Wrangler 

Too much kool-aide
Unread 10-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #35
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I’m having a hard time distinguishing this type of thread as being any different than the “Why don’t they wave” threads.

Hardly tech; don’t be surprised if it gets moved but in the meantime…
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #36
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222
I’m having a hard time distinguishing this type of thread as being any different than the “Why don’t they wave” threads.

Hardly tech; don’t be surprised if it gets moved but in the meantime…
Yeah that's about right. Hardly technical discussion!

Btw I don't wave, so take that!
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #37
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
D44 means squat. Just a bit bigger ring and pinion, housing is the same strength. Rubi Electric lockers meh, if I wanted lockers I'd instal real ones. The only benefit I see is the Rubi transfer case and that's about it. So realistically, buying a Sport and modding it to match a Rubi is cheaper. However, buying a Sahara not so much. A loaded Sahara will price out just below a Rubicon. I believe there is only a couple K difference at best between their 2 base models.
Well aware if the axle differences... Aa i said for 35 max its worth it anything more not really.
Maertz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #38
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

Isn't this already a sticky?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/rubicon-not-1111281/
Unread 10-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #39
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

I got a 2013 Rubi and love everything about it, right off the dealers lot, I was able to wheel with friends on the Rio Puerco, do trails up in CO and not need to worry about a bunch of upgrades. I got 3.73 gears and get good MPG and I have the 4:1 transfer case if needed off road.
Unread 10-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #40
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

When you have a $10K price difference between a sport and a Rubicon... people ask why, the dealer will explain it to them and how many average people are going to care what transfer case or axles/gears come with it. They buy a jeep to say they have a jeep and will probably never do much more than an occasional dirt road or puddle.
IH8PEPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 12:13 AM   #41
wilgeno
Bug-Out!

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Most people never see a dirt road. Few people will ever go where a Rubicon could go Off Road, in anything that new. Why the $$,$$$. take a rubicon were lockers gearing and the rest is needed it wont look new long.

but you are only looking at a small area . where you live and the circle of people you see. I see what you do not and I think I know were all those rubi's went. they wheel out west. I see new ones to older ones all the time. where? on trails rated 3.5-5 AZ. why? you wont make it with out at least what a rubicon brings to the plate or BETTER.

But I see MORE ruibs 4d's that never seemore than a class2 trail. God forbid it gets a scratch.

Pretty much what he said. My Jeep and me will see far more snow than off-road. I'm pretty sure I'm never going to get out west to anything like the Rubicon trail. Add that with not being made of $$$$ I went with a practical Jeep for my needs.

Bug-Out! http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/b...build-1568531/

I don't always go topless, but when I do I go Commando!
wilgeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 01:36 AM   #42
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
D44 means squat. Just a bit bigger ring and pinion, housing is the same strength.
Though the stock JK D30/D44 tubes and inner C's are the same, I think that downplaying the importance of the increase in the size of the R&P between the D30JK and the D44JK isn't right. The big difference is that you can reliably re-gear a D44 to 4.88's, 5.13's, or 5.38's without having too small of a pinion. That is the main reason for the D44JK vs the D30JK (or any larger axle assembly than the next) - to handle the low (numerically high) gearing - and, hence, bigger tires and more abuse... The D30 R&P is so small it looks like a baby's toy when compared side-by-side to the D44JK. 5.13's on a D30JK make the pinion look like a toothpick.

Of course, I'll agree that's also with sleeves, gussets, and trusses aside... even with mild-to-moderate trail abuse and 35" tires on the Rubi D44JK front axle - you're still gonna need some more beef to prevent bending those C's and tubes...

And the Rock-Trac 4:1 transfer case makes a big difference, too. But that pretty much sums it up for me. I'd still rather get a Sport/Sahara and strip it down and build it up. There's no comparing a Dynatrac ProRock44 and/or Tera44 to a Rubi D44JK axle - that's solid, beefy apples and weak, skinny oranges IMHO.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #43
GeckoFun
2012 JK Wrangler 

Bout the Jeep for bad winters here in NJ (mostly Snow) and just all around capability in bad weather and a double bonus, the absolute blast it is in the summer with the top off. Why would I spend any $$ on a Rubicon or any "trip" package from Jeep, when I could just spend the $ upgrading a sport to the specs (and style) I want. Don't get me wrong, Jeep has some cool looking trim packages, but then they just become a sea of sameness, altitude addition looks great, but they all look the same, you are much better off saving the $ and modifying the Jeep to your liking. It will not only look better, but it will also be unique.

And the only people I see buying the anniverssary rubicon are the rich waspy pricks in my town who buy everything that is top of the line just because. After a few months, it's handed off to their high school bratty kid to drive around. Neither of them is off-roading anything (intentionally)
img_3809.jpg   saved2.jpg  
photo-3-.jpg

GeckoFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #44
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

I didn't specifically get a rubi because as some have mentioned that when you build it you will be replacing many of the parts you already paid extra for. I have also found situations where the 4:1 xfercase is too low and high range is too high. I do plan on installing a rubicrawler case though to gain even more options.
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #45
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
D44 means squat. Just a bit bigger ring and pinion, housing is the same strength. Rubi Electric lockers meh, if I wanted lockers I'd instal real ones. The only benefit I see is the Rubi transfer case and that's about it. So realistically, buying a Sport and modding it to match a Rubi is cheaper. However, buying a Sahara not so much. A loaded Sahara will price out just below a Rubicon. I believe there is only a couple K difference at best between their 2 base models.
I thought there was also a difference in axle shaft splines - 30 splines on a 30 and 44 splines on a 44. If that IS true then a 44 IS stronger as it is splined with 44 contact points in the carrier while a 30 is only contacting 30 splines. More metal in contact should mean more axle strength... which translates to less chance of breaking when under torque or running larger tires.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.