Who will rent a trailer for soft top? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Who will rent a trailer for soft top?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #16
boujo
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The problem with uhaul is they type everything you say into a ocmputer and track it within the company. Had to haul a Jeep, wanted to get a full trailer. They told me I could only pull a dolly with my vehicle. Called around they all new my situation already. Decided to tell them I was hauling a Geo Metro instead of a Jeep. Went off without a hitch, so to speak.

boujo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #17
duckman1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Many of the storage units around here have a trailer you can use.
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #18
Bhamshooter
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It is like $20 to rent a truck for a day. Add'l 50 cents per mile, but I moved a ton of stuff from my house, to my mother in law's, to my Mom's place, and back to my house, all in one day, and paid about $40. You'd have been better off not paying for a hitch if you were only adding it to get a Uhaul.
Bhamshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #19
metaljeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I rent Uhauls and there computer system for towing is jacked up IMO. A customer calls and want to tow this vehicle and it won't let you for some stupid reason and it's a vehicle that shouldn't be a problem to tow, but I can put in something that I wouldn't think would be safe to tow and it says it's ok. 19.95 for a 10' truck 0.99 per mile sun to thurs. 1.19 per mile fri & sat in town rates. I don't recomend a 6x12 with a tj I pulled one day and the jeep didn't seem to like it.
metaljeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 12:55 AM   #20
MukYJ
Pronounced "Mucky J"

1993 YJ Wrangler 

In case anyone is interested, here is what U-Haul says when you tell them you have an Explorer:
Quote:
U-Haul has chosen not to rent behind this tow vehicle based on our history of excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations. This policy is not related to safety issues. This is an unusual circumstance for U-Haul we have built our success for over 60 years by saying 'yes' to our customers. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are committed to working with our customers to find alternative options to help with their move.
And then they suggest renting a truck instead.

Sidetrack - I really liked what I saw in Sweden (at least where I was in the northern part): Since there are hardly any pickup trucks over there, just about every gas station rented small trailers! My Swedish cousin said that about 75% of cars have hitches, so it's easy to hop over to the gas station and pick up a trailer for a few hours if you need to haul something bigger than you can fit in the trunk.

To address the OP's question, maybe Hertz or SunBelt? Probably more expensive, but they may not have the crazy restrictions like U-Haul does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
He's right, as soon as you remove the trackbar the fuel rail will arc on the battery, killing you and all the kittens in a ten mile radius.
MukYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 02:31 AM   #21
kjmccar
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MukYJ View Post
To address the OP's question, maybe Hertz or SunBelt? Probably more expensive, but they may not have the crazy restrictions like U-Haul does.
That's really stupid about the explorers... Kind of funny actually.

I appreciate everyone's feedback, but thanks for bringing this back on track.
kjmccar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 04:07 AM   #22
CherokeeChuck
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefbob View Post

Be careful, I seem to recall a section in their rental agreement that says you'll only use it with the vehicle you pick it up with. Could have insurance or liability issues if something happens. I know this because we wanted to pick a trailer up with my dad's blazer that could easily handle the weight empty and use it fully loaded behind my brother's full size truck one time (for logistical issues in picking up the trailer).

I have the harbor freight folding trailer that is easy for me to store in the garage. I realize your situation might be different, but even though you think you will only use it twice, you never can tell how often it might come in handy in the future. A few times a year I think "hey I need to haul something and don't need to borrow a truck".
Very true. I've had my eye on that harbor freight trailer recently so I don't have to sneak around uhauls rules anymore.
Unread 05-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #23
jefbob
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherokeeChuck View Post
Very true. I've had my eye on that harbor freight trailer recently so I don't have to sneak around uhauls rules anymore.
It is very convenient. We've used it to move my now wife in with me as well as help a couple others. And we've hauled mulch and other yard debris, all just around town and it does just fine. It is a red frame so I just need to paint the wood black and it will look sweet behind my black on red Jeep. If I had the room to park an actual fully welded trailer with full size tires I would have preferred that but the folding for storage was necessary for me. All told I spent less than $300, but forget exactly how much.
jefbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #24
Kdeome
1992 YJ Wrangler 

They wouldn't let me tow a YJ with my V8 WJ w/premium towing package... even though I was over 1000 lbs below capacity.... towed a "Honda civic" instead.

UHaul sucks.
Kdeome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #25
sleepjeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

Try your local rent all place. (I would assume most larger cities have these places) While you would probably wouldn't be able to do a one way rental it would work for local. I think we have a local chain called Rent Rite that has several locations in Mid-Michigan. They rent several types of trailers and usually a little cheaper then U-Haul. The one negative is that they have a much smaller selection of trailer sizes and types. I am not sure if there are any national rent all places but I am sure there many regional ones. Hope that helps.
sleepjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.