where to mount a Cb radio? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > where to mount a Cb radio?

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **ENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTIEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
Kevinstravels
2005 LJ Wrangler 

where to mount a Cb radio?

someone gave me a old Cb they didnt want any more and i was wondering where can i mount it so its out of the way, but still accessible. and advice or pictures would be apreciated!

Unread 08-19-2008, 04:53 PM   #2
chupacabrah
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i mounted mine kind of under the radio

Build Thread
jeep stuff
chupacabrah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
Kevinstravels
2005 LJ Wrangler 

thats where i was thinking too. where did you put the antenna? i was thinking about putting mine on the back bumper but im afraid the antenna will slap and scratch my hard top and back glass
Unread 08-19-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
chupacabrah
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i put the ant on the thing that the spare would hit. i think i have a pic

Build Thread
jeep stuff
Unread 08-19-2008, 05:31 PM   #5
DUKENEUTRON
2000 TJ Wrangler 

mine is mounted on top of the dash over the little storage area, my mike hang's on the rear view. My antenna is on the passenger side front bumper I havent hit it yet.
DUKENEUTRON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2008, 07:02 PM   #6
Kevinstravels
2005 LJ Wrangler 

those are good ideas, i think i might mount mine under my radio. i hooked the cb up a while ago and it turned on but no sound or anything and the mic wouldnt make any noise. you think its broken or did i do somethign wrong
Unread 08-20-2008, 05:16 AM   #7
chupacabrah
1993 YJ Wrangler 

it's not supposed to make any noise unless it's receiving a signal

best way is really to get someone else w/ a cb and test it out, make sure you can transmit and receive.

Build Thread
jeep stuff
Unread 08-20-2008, 05:27 AM   #8
JerseyDoug
Can I go home now?
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinstravels View Post
those are good ideas, i think i might mount mine under my radio. i hooked the cb up a while ago and it turned on but no sound or anything and the mic wouldnt make any noise. you think its broken or did i do somethign wrong
I hope you have the ant connected before using the mic. Otherwise you may damage the radio. Perhaps you have the squelch set too high? Back it off, you should at least hear some static with it turned all the way down. At least I do.

Good luck.
JerseyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2008, 05:39 AM   #9
chupacabrah
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyDoug View Post
I hope you have the ant connected before using the mic. Otherwise you may damage the radio. Perhaps you have the squelch set too high? Back it off, you should at least hear some static with it turned all the way down. At least I do.

Good luck.

^^ he's right, i dont know what I was thinking.

check the squelch.

It'd be good to have an SWR meter too ( about $30) to measure that so you don't blow the radio up. if you have an adjustable ant, anyway. if not then it doesn't really matter too much

Build Thread
jeep stuff
Unread 08-20-2008, 08:43 AM   #10
Kevinstravels
2005 LJ Wrangler 

i checked everything and it turns out the internal speaker is fried and i cant get any audio from it. its about 20 years old anyway. i'm gonna set out today and go to a few pawn shops and see if i cant find myself a new one. My antenna mount is magnetic and the only place i can seem to put it is on the back right bumper but im afriad of it slapping my hard top and glass at highway speeds. does anyone else have it set there or is there another way i can mount it to the side of my bumper?
Unread 08-20-2008, 09:00 AM   #11
chupacabrah
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinstravels View Post
i checked everything and it turns out the internal speaker is fried and i cant get any audio from it. its about 20 years old anyway. i'm gonna set out today and go to a few pawn shops and see if i cant find myself a new one. My antenna mount is magnetic and the only place i can seem to put it is on the back right bumper but im afriad of it slapping my hard top and glass at highway speeds. does anyone else have it set there or is there another way i can mount it to the side of my bumper?

you could just put it on your wheelwell. wont really get great reception...

or maybe on the front of your jeep, on the frame. or maybe even on the hood or something.

I wouldnt really leave a magnetic one mounted when not offroading though, could fly off on the highway possibly.

Build Thread
jeep stuff
Unread 08-20-2008, 10:35 AM   #12
jbramble24
1984 CJ7 

Here's where I mounted my radio shack cheapie in my 05. My antenna is mounted on my rock hard 4x4 parts rear bumper.

jbramble24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2008, 03:31 PM   #13
Kevinstravels
2005 LJ Wrangler 

well my cb searching all went to crap, i looked and couldnt find a Cb at pawn shops (that were worth buying) Did any of you just get your stuff at radio shack, because if you did can you let me know what antenna and stuff to get because every one i have talked to about the subject around here think they are obsolete. i just want a radio and antenna that will get good reception, not the most expensive of the bunch. ha, i didnt think this would be a problem when i got the first radio. thanks guys for the replys!
Unread 08-20-2008, 03:43 PM   #14
Grt_Ape
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Until I put a sport cage in, I'm using the MP mount from http://www.jeepoutfitter.com/. Here's a pic from their website:

2006 LJ Rubicon

Last edited by Grt_Ape; 08-20-2008 at 09:13 PM..
Grt_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2008, 05:23 PM   #15
chupacabrah
1993 YJ Wrangler 

my cb is a uniden. cheapie, just like the radioshack one listed above. works good when i need it.

my antenna i think is a firestick or something similar. 5 or 6 ft whip, adjustable on the tip. i think they go for like $25.

I got all my stuff at a local cb shop

Build Thread
jeep stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.