When offroad, does it really bounce so much? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > When offroad, does it really bounce so much?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 06-20-2008, 07:04 AM   #1
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

When offroad, does it really bounce so much?

Well ive had my TJ now for 2 years.. all stock except 30" M/T tires. My question is when i go offroad the thing bounces around so much it drives me crazy, i went into a little trail just the other night and i felt like turning around because i was being thrown in the seat.

Im just wondering is that normal? Because my Jeep seems to be stiff on/off-road. Everytime i see another Jeep and if they hit a bump it seems like they dont get thrown around like that or that they take the hit a lot better than me.

I really dont understand what the issue is, i know im not driving a Cadillac but whats up with the stiff *** suspension? Also what would be a recommended PSI for my tires? Their Yokohama Geolandar M/T + im running them around 29 PSI.

--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2008, 10:29 AM   #2
ONEMORE2
1988 YJ Wrangler 

With your tires when off road get the PSI around 18 it will help, I wouldnt go any lower or you may pop a bead.I have 32"s and when of road I run around 12-15 psi
88yj, incubus off road wheels,32"tsl radial super swampers,2.5" pro comp lift ,kc lights,rock lights,8000lb.mile marker winch,best top bikini top,nutterbypass,lock right locker in the rear,TJ flares,poison spyder rock rails,home made front flat fenders,Skyjacker nitro 8000 shocks,procomp rear bumper,CB.more to come.
92yj,black with flame job.I have now added a 2003 wrangler,2"BB,dick cepek wheels ,trail armor all four corners,33" BFG-AT's.life is good.
ONEMORE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well i would hate to pop a bead, i really dont think i will even go close to 18psi then, maybe ill stay above the 20's mark. Is there still a chance of popping a bead?
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
Unread 06-20-2008, 10:57 AM   #4
Morgen251
2010 JK Wrangler 

You'll be more than safe around 12-15 PSI, without risk of popping a bead.

BUILD:
Rubi Rocker Guards; 32" Mastercraft MTs; Teraflex 2.5" Coil Spring Lift; JKS Quick Discos; JKS Front & Rear Adj Trackbars; JKS Ex Rear Swaybar links; Zone Nitro Shocks; 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers; Poison Spyder Evap Skid; Cobra 75WXST; 3' Firestick quick disco; Rugged Ridge XHD Fr Bumper; Tuffy Underseat Drawer; 6" KC Long Range Hilites; Superchips Flashpaq, Crown Extended brake lines

WISH LIST: Front LCAs, Winch, 6" KC Driving Lights, Deep Cycle Battery
Morgen251 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgen251 View Post
You'll be more than safe around 12-15 PSI, without risk of popping a bead.
more safe at 12-15psi than like 24psi? Is that what your saying?
My Progress Page
Unread 06-20-2008, 11:21 AM   #6
00jeepsahara
2000 TJ Wrangler 

At 15 psi you will not pop a bead, just wondering though, hows your driving style? do you go fast through trails, or what kind if trailing are you talking about?
17" Allied Beadlocks
D60/14BFF
00jeepsahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2008, 11:36 AM   #7
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Im extremely slow, take my time. and make sure i dont damage anything on my baby lol.

Well this trail was pretty beat down as in others driven on it so it was fairly flat but it was still bumpy as hell and that's why it was driving me nuts because i could of just imagined what would it have been like it was rocky. Most trails i try to go into dont involve rocks anyways its all dirt/mud but still bumpy
My Progress Page
Unread 06-20-2008, 03:58 PM   #8
Morgen251
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post
more safe at 12-15psi than like 24psi? Is that what your saying?
No, I said you will be MORE THAN SAFE at 12-15 psi, not MORE SAFE. You'll have much better traction at lower PSI, and your risk of slipping a bead is miniscule.

BUILD:
Rubi Rocker Guards; 32" Mastercraft MTs; Teraflex 2.5" Coil Spring Lift; JKS Quick Discos; JKS Front & Rear Adj Trackbars; JKS Ex Rear Swaybar links; Zone Nitro Shocks; 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers; Poison Spyder Evap Skid; Cobra 75WXST; 3' Firestick quick disco; Rugged Ridge XHD Fr Bumper; Tuffy Underseat Drawer; 6" KC Long Range Hilites; Superchips Flashpaq, Crown Extended brake lines

WISH LIST: Front LCAs, Winch, 6" KC Driving Lights, Deep Cycle Battery
Morgen251 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2008, 09:19 PM   #9
sahara tj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You'll be fine at 15 psi. Just make sure you have a way of airing up before hitting pavement. If not keep it under 50 mph.
sahara tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2008, 09:26 PM   #10
raskull
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I air my tires down to 8 psi when off road, and it helps a lot with traction.

I only pop a bead about once every 5-6 trips out (if that), and I have all the supplies to get it re-seated.

The best thing you can do for offroading is to buy a cheap air compressor, mount it under the hood, and run lower pressure on the trail.

The lower the better, period. I stick to around 8 because if I run any lower I blow a bead more often than not. I air down to 5-6 for really tough climbs, but generally stick to 8. The air compressor I run cost me about $125 or so. That comes with a nice holding bag, air line, and a few attachments for airing up soccer balls, etc.

Raskull - Metallic Silver '03 Jeep TJ Sport (pic)
http://myjeeptj.com <- Write-ups on mods/maintenance/trips and a video/image gallery
Custom front bumper build
Custom rockers build
My build thread
raskull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2008, 02:54 AM   #11
Moses2564
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have a tire deflation chart, that goes by tire size and gross vehicle weight, that states if you are running 30x9.50R15, and ~3000-4000lbs. you should be running anywhere from 10-12psi off road.
1997 Arctic Cat ZRT 600

Check out my build thread!
Moses2564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2008, 04:34 AM   #12
Bigboyky
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Air down it's the way to go. I've had 4x4's for a very long time think I bought my first in 1989. I never aired down in the bigger trucks. The only time I've had my jeep out I didn't. No way of pumping them back up. But you can bet I will this time, my kids bought me a compresser to mount on the jeep.... I'm going to run between 10 & 12.
Bigboyky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2008, 05:22 AM   #13
Kiwi Jeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

After airing down, try disconnecting the fron sway bar as well and see how much more fun it becomes. I never drive at street pressure offroad, my compressor is hard mounted in the engine bay. Normally run between 12 / 18 psi (depending on the conditions).
Kiwi Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2008, 08:10 AM   #14
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well im gonna have to air down next time down, but yah the problem is about airing back up once i came out id have to go find a pump or something that has air. Well ill guess ill have to try that next time then

thanks guys!
My Progress Page
Unread 06-21-2008, 07:52 PM   #15
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

what kind of PSI would you guys recommend for pavement? Right now im at 29.5 or so? Is that good?
My Progress Page

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.