What year model is the most reliable? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > What year model is the most reliable?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 05-01-2009, 09:04 AM   #1
sopwith

What year model is the most reliable?

I have a 1947 jeep Cj for off road use, and want to buy a newer one to license for on road use. What do you guys with experience on the newer models think is the best year for a street legal Jeep? I concerned with reliability mostly, and will use it for daily travel in inclemit weather.

Thanks

sopwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
bunkrdfool
2007 JK Wrangler 

I would think that the 09's even the 10's would be better than the 07, only because theyve had more time to work on the kinks on the newer models. but i do love my 07.
Unread 05-01-2009, 09:20 AM   #3
JC KJ
2007 JK Wrangler 

08 Rubicon I have both 07 and 08 seems they have the bugs worked out now
JC KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
Woodchuck

2008 JK Wrangler 

I have an 08 and besides an initial softop issue that was quickly resolved, I have had no issues at all!!!
'08 Red Rock Unlimited Rubicon / AEV 2.75" Lift with Remote Reservoir Shocks / AEV Heat Reduction Hood / AEV Front & Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier / AEV Skidplates & Rear Corner Guards / Riddler Diff Covers / Mopar Enhanced Rock Rails / Warn 9.5ti Winch / Mopar Gas Cap Cover / 4.88 Gears / IPF 900xs Drive Beams / Eagle Eye HID Spotlights / Daniel Stern Headlights / 17" AEV Pintler Wheels with 35x12.5r17 BFG Mud-Terrain KM2's / Tuffy Security Drawer / sPod and Benchmark Dual Battery System / Cobra 75 CB / Lockpick with Front and Rear Cameras / Katzkin Heated Seats / Line-X Interior / Hitchsafe Key Vault / and a Trasharoo and a lot more little stuff or just stuff I forgot!!!

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-o-)_)
Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2009, 10:22 AM   #5
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

My '07 only had one issue- a leaky axle seal after 6 months. Otherwise it has been completely reliable.

Wife's '08 has had no issues. But she has only put 4000 miles on it in a year

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #6
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have an 07 Sahara. No disabling problems.
Wind noise, YES and lots of it.
Water leaks. Not many since I used Krytox on the seals.
Under powered V-6. Nothing new there
Wishing for a 5 or 6 speed automatic. So are the 08, 09 and 10's
Clunky inner steering shaft. It's a Jeep thing
Clunky door latches. Nothing that black tape can't fix.
Cam sensor: Sometimes when hot the engine turns over and over...and over before it starts. Not always but sometimes.
That's about it. Not to bad for a bankrupted company eh?
Unread 05-01-2009, 11:50 AM   #7
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

No issues on my 07, although there are a few things I dislike such as overall cheapness such as thin body sheetmetal and too much cheap plastic.
Unread 05-01-2009, 11:54 AM   #8
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yeah - totally UNLIKE the 97 Wranglers, the JK was introduced a s a pretty reliable rig. I don't think there have been too many identified bugs that were linked to the '07's. I have 40,000 miles on my '07. I beat the p!ss out of it on a daily basis for work and its been 100% problem free. Are there going to be occasional quirks - absolutely.

My 97 TJ was the opposite. That thing was garbage and I wasn't alone. Much better job with the JK.
tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2009, 12:06 PM   #9
tturkstra
2008 JK Wrangler 

Only problem on my '08 (bought in Sept 07) is that the door hinges are starting to show rust??? I think I read something about that somewhere else as well.

Otherwise great - no problems except that they forgot to add the fogs at the factory and the dealer added them, and took 5 attempts to wire them so they didn't flicker.
Unread 05-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturkstra View Post
Only problem on my '08 (bought in Sept 07) is that the door hinges are starting to show rust??? I think I read something about that somewhere else as well.

l
Ah yes. forgot about the bubbling paint/rust on the hinges. My '07 has one hinge on each side doing that. My wife's '08 has it on every hinge including the hood hinges.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Quote:
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
Unread 05-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #11
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
Ah yes. forgot about the bubbling paint/rust on the hinges. My '07 has one hinge on each side doing that. My wife's '08 has it on every hinge including the hood hinges.

n2, what's the build date on your wifes?

...i have an '08, but have yet to see this happen on any of the hinges. wondering if it was a "later in the year" thing when they fixed it.

my build date was late june.

b_c

greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends -john 15:13
b_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #12
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Not sure... But I know we bought it in May '08, and I'm pretty sure the build date was Feb or March. So yeah, its quite possible that they fixed the issue later in the year.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #13
badazzelanore
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Use Jigaloo, its GREAT! I love it. I have used it on all my doors, hoods, trunks and tail gates on both my jeeps, I have also used it on all my doors and cabinets in my house. if you have anything you want to be "waterproof" and lubricated this is the stuff to use. I got a rattle can of it for 3 dollars at target. I live in NW WA, and I will be here for two years so I will see how great the stuff is over the long run.

This was in response to the complaints of of the JK's door hinges rusting.

Last edited by badazzelanore; 05-02-2009 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: I hijaked the thread...
badazzelanore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2009, 12:57 AM   #14
devilsfiddle
2008 JK Wrangler 

luck of the draw
Unread 10-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #15
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricked919 View Post
Yeah - totally UNLIKE the 97 Wranglers, the JK was introduced a s a pretty reliable rig. I don't think there have been too many identified bugs that were linked to the '07's. I have 40,000 miles on my '07. I beat the p!ss out of it on a daily basis for work and its been 100% problem free. Are there going to be occasional quirks - absolutely.

My 97 TJ was the opposite. That thing was garbage and I wasn't alone. Much better job with the JK.
INTERESTING! I have a 97 TJ Sport since late 96 and the only thing that has gone out on me w/o my abuse is one TPS that was warranted. 130,000 miles and running strong as hell. Maybe you just got a lemon or had crappy maintenance.
brokenyoujoint is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.