What Winch to get - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > What Winch to get

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 10-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #16
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH00T3R
First choice Warn M8000. Had one on my first YJ and ill prob get another. Second XRC8 comp as Tom has.
I had a M8000 on my TJ I paid $450 for it shipped new in 2003. And sold it in 2006. I Refused to spend close to 800 for the same winch with a synthetic line which is why I bought my XRC8 Comp. I noticed while working in the industry they are very reliable so I figured I'll buy it for now and I can upgrade later. I'll probably buy a used warn without a cable and install a rope for the Yj

Unread 10-10-2013, 10:49 PM   #17
SH00T3R
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
I had a M8000 on my TJ I paid $450 for it shipped new in 2003. And sold it in 2006. I Refused to spend close to 800 for the same winch with a synthetic line which is why I bought my XRC8 Comp. I noticed while working in the industry they are very reliable so I figured I'll buy it for now and I can upgrade later. I'll probably buy a used warn without a cable and install a rope for the Yj
Dang 450?! Thats a hell of a price! I can get them for around 500 with cable but Im leaning toward the XRC this time as its way cheeper and comes with rope.
Good to hear positive things about them as everyone bashes Smitty.

”When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.”
SH00T3R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 12:40 AM   #18
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH00T3R View Post
Dang 450?! Thats a hell of a price! I can get them for around 500 with cable but Im leaning toward the XRC this time as its way cheeper and comes with rope.
Good to hear positive things about them as everyone bashes Smitty.
I worked at 4wp for a few years and when I worked there the original XRC winches had motor issues then they switched to the current 4.6hp motor they have proven to be very reliable I only had 2 returned for and 1 was for a bad solenoid, the other was the customer didn't like how he had to twist the controller plug 90* for it to lock in place. For the price they are hard to beat
Unread 10-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #19
nfdff805
Proud TJ Owner

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I use the XRC Comp 8 in my TJ and have a friend with a Warn 12,000. The XRC is louder than the Warn, but has never failed or let me down! The only issue I had was the lever to free spool was stuck in engaged but that was an inconvenience not a failure.. The reason I mentioned my friend is his Warn had steel cable til this past weekend. He bought the winch used and we had to clean and repack the gears. Water proofed the solenoid ( recommended to do with every winch new or used) and he has used it faithfully for about 5-6 years.. Well his line snapped and the spring back took out his grill and radiator! I mean it had some force!!
My $0.02 is go with what you can afford.. Try for synthetic rope.. Water proof the solenoid, and remember when in doubt never be afraid to double or triple the line! Will reduce your speed but it multiplies the pulling power!

()_)-()_)-o-)_)
nfdff805 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #20
jeepsnmopars
2012 JK Wrangler 

So far so good with my Engo from Jeepaddons. Talk to Chris at Jeepaddons (Truckaddons) and google their reviews. Used my 10K with synthetic line once to get me out of a tough spot and once to drag a fallen tree out of my yard this summer since installing. The tree was dragging my Jeep forward with the parking brake set. Good price and seems to work well so far.
jeepsnmopars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 02:40 AM   #21
Eckoh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have a Warn XP9.5 i love it personally. I got it right when it came out with the intro price, i think i payed 750 for it. I still use the 125foot steel cable that came with it. I have seen several nylon cables fail due to rubbing so if you need it every time i would stick with steel.
Eckoh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #22
JeepAddOnsChris
Vendor
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you want the top of the line, there is no replacement for Warn. Superwinch Talon series are a very nice line of winches as well. If you want the best quality budget winch on the market, there is nothing that beats Engo at their price point. Sell everything from Warn, T-Max, Superwinch, Smitty, Rugged Ridge, Mile Marker to Engo.

Visit our site
http://jeepaddons.com
Like us on Facebook
http://facebook.com/jeepaddons
JeepAddOnsChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #23
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Used my Engo Saturday thought the thing was gonna rip off the front of the frame and it came back asking for more. My winch sees alot of use too.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #24
WNUNEZJR
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have a harbor freight 12000lb one i got it on sale for 330 shipped has never let me down.
WNUNEZJR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2014, 06:43 PM   #25
nfdff805
Proud TJ Owner

2004 TJ Wrangler 

On the smittybilt xrc8 I found that when you snug down the wires from the solenoid to the motor just snug the nut. The bolts are copper and I had one break on me.
I was fortunate that it broke in the middle and left me plenty of room.
I then applied plenty of dielectric grease under those boots and checked. The bad thing is Smittybilt does not list the bolts on the partslist.
I tried to add pics but I don't know how to resize them down.

()_)-()_)-o-)_)
nfdff805 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.