What Winch to get - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > What Winch to get

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 10-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
jcryder
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What Winch to get

Looking for a winch. I by no means need the top of the line. Looking for something dependable, user friendly, easy to install. By the way is synthetic cable better than steel? I have not yet progressed to major offroading

jcryder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
Duh

Tmax is what i use. No complaints. Strength is same as other major brands.
Synthetic line is lighter and more flexible. Has its benefits.
Duh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
xlTravislx
1994 YJ Wrangler 

My harbor freight winch has served me well. there priced very cheep, and for about $20 you can buy a 2 year warranty. I'm sure others will chime in about the "badland" harbor freight winches.
Unread 10-05-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

What kind of wheeling do you do? Who do you wheel with and how capable are their jeeps of recovering you? Do you explore on your own? What's your budget? what kind of bumper?

You're going to hear answers from any cheap $300 winch to a top of line $1500 dollar, you'll hear steal only and synthetic rope only. Bottom line is you can get a lot closer to the right answer by taking a hard look at the questions above.

I do wheel harder trails and travel with very capable jeeps, meaning we can and do need good winches on multiple vehicles. I run synthetic on Warn or SuperWinch on my jeeps.

Let the games begin!

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #5
jcryder
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Winching Needs

I mostly wheel and explore on my own but would like to find some buddies and become more adventurous. Front bumper is stock. My budget is adequate but not unlimited. Am also interested in SAR.
jcryder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 12:56 AM   #6
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcryder View Post
I mostly wheel and explore on my own but would like to find some buddies and become more adventurous. Front bumper is stock. My budget is adequate but not unlimited. Am also interested in SAR.
These really help narrow the choices down. You need equipment that will perform every time in adverse conditions when someone's life, even your own may depend on it. Don't go cheap. Learn a little about the relationship between amp draw and pulling power, line speed, free and under load. Also max rating with only one wrap on the drum and the effects of having more wraps.

some 8000# rated winches will out pull a 10,000# winch when there are 4 wraps(layers) of cable on the drum.

Even though I run synthetic, because of the adverse conditions of SAR I'd probably lean towards using steal as it can take more abuse and still perform.

For these applications I'd look at the Warn M8000, $600 and go up. I've never owned one, but the M8000 seems to have good reputation. I do have a Warn 9.5cti, it has very fast line speeds, an incredible 7400# pull at 4 wraps, thermal overload sensors and thermal warning LED. $1200

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Unread 10-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #7
steelslinger
2004 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE="Filthy-Beast"] These really help narrow the choices down. You need equipment that will perform every time in adverse conditions when someone's life, even your own may depend on it. Don't go cheap. Learn a little about the relationship between amp draw and pulling power, line speed, free and under load. Also max rating with only one wrap on the drum and the effects of having more wraps. some 8000# rated winches will out pull a 10,000# winch when there are 4 wraps(layers) of cable on the drum. Even though I run synthetic, because of the adverse conditions of SAR I'd probably lean towards using steal as it can take more abuse and still perform. For these applications I'd look at the Warn M8000, $600 and go up. I've never owned one, but the M8000 seems to have good reputation. I do have a Warn 9.5cti, it has very fast line speeds, an incredible 7400# pull at 4 wraps, thermal overload sensors and thermal warning LED. $1200[/QUOTE

I run that same warn winch. It has pulled me and my friends out of unbelievable situations. I never go off road alone and needed the winch more times than I can remember. I use synthetic rope. While on the subject does anyone know if you can use a snatch block with synthetic rope?
steelslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

How about a used Warn? I see quite a few on CL in near new condition for 2/3 the cost of new.
Unread 10-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #9
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i got a warn 9.5Ti with syn rope on CL for $500. looked for about 6 weeks and found a steal. they are out there
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
draglineoffroad

We are all for synthetic cable. Not biased or anything of course.

Synthetic cable is lighter, safer, and depending on which line you choose can be stronger than steel cable for a given diameter. Working with steel cable can be a bit nerve racking. It requires weighting in order to lower risk in the event of a failure. It's tough to handle and as it ages wearing gloves to handle it is necessary.

We run a superwinch. It's been absolutely flawless. Can't go wrong with Warn either. Some of the other brands we've encounted on the trail do work, but they just don't sound as smooth, pull as strong for comparable rating and are typically slower.

[email]sales@draglineoffroad.com[/email]
[URL="http://www.draglineoffroad.com"]http://www.draglineoffroad.com[/URL]
Jeep Forum members: 5% off code [B]jeepforum05[/B]
[/CENTER]
draglineoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #11
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yes you can use a snatch block with synthetic line, just be careful that it is in the pulley.

I too love synthetic but recommended steal because of the Search and Rescue part of the jcryder's needs. Thinking of the need to pull debris or other situations that would drag a synthetic line across sharp edges where the sheath wound be of little help.

jcryder if you're serious about SAR get a ham radio license, take SAR courses and get certified.

Unread 10-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #12
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Bang for the buck the XRC8 is hard to beat, I run a XRC8 Comp (comes with rope instead of steel line) I have seen both a rope and steel line break in person, I will probably never run a steel winch line again !
Unread 10-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #13
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

To the OP like the add says Go Warn my M8000 is over 20 years old and still working like a champ

White Jeep Club #224
plumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 11:15 PM   #14
SH00T3R
1987 YJ Wrangler 

First choice Warn M8000. Had one on my first YJ and ill prob get another.

Second XRC8 comp as Tom has.

”When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.”
SH00T3R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #15
draglineoffroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
Yes you can use a snatch block with synthetic line, just be careful that it is in the pulley.

I too love synthetic but recommended steal because of the Search and Rescue part of the jcryder's needs. Thinking of the need to pull debris or other situations that would drag a synthetic line across sharp edges where the sheath wound be of little help.

jcryder if you're serious about SAR get a ham radio license, take SAR courses and get certified.
A fully covered line would be a great compromise. Safety and durability in one. Or, a dyneema chafe sleeve in lieu of nylon. Dyneema and steel's chafe resistance is actually closer than one may believe.

In particular we use a EPi9.0. I don't think I mentioned that earlier. Now discontinued, but I believe it has a modern equivalent.

[email]sales@draglineoffroad.com[/email]
[URL="http://www.draglineoffroad.com"]http://www.draglineoffroad.com[/URL]
Jeep Forum members: 5% off code [B]jeepforum05[/B]
[/CENTER]
draglineoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.