What seperates the "Weekend Warrior" from the "Trail Truck" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > What seperates the "Weekend Warrior" from the "Trail Truck"

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Jeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 10-25-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

What seperates the "Weekend Warrior" from the "Trail Truck"

Ok its like this....

Went wheeling today (here are pictures for good measure; I forgot my camera)

Anyways, my Jeep is my DD. I drive it everyday, 80 miles a day to college. We dont have much serious off roading here but we have more trails then we know what to do with. They can get pretty gnarly actually. Today I loosened one shock, and the front driver shock bottom pin came undone out of the eye, loose rear sway bar bolt, and loose track bar. Also ripped off my exhaust. This is my first ever 4 wheel run I have ever had any issues. But I always wheel hard.

My friends have always said if they had a Jeep as nice as mine that they wouldnt rail it as hard as I do. Well I feel that I have a good idea of how much my Jeep can take an I wont break it too bad.

Anyways, today I kinda limped away from the trail after we got done because I never had anything break before and I didnt know what else was loose and any more problems I may have; I also got a damn wicked death wobble. I have some stuff to work on because today was rough, and its not drivable for my 80 miles tomorrow. Granted I could fix it in an hour or two thats not the point.

The point is I drive away from the trail not fully functional, and it needs work before I take a long drive. So for now its not my DD. So what am I? I always had the idea that the weekend warrior was someone that went out and had fun, never worried about their rig because they werent that intense. But with what my friends are saying I get the feeling i'm to hard on my Jeep for it being a DD.

Should I calm it down a bit?

ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Daily driven Jeep that is broken on the trail has a dedicated owner that stays up until 3AM fixing the broken parts before work.

Many times I have been asked why I have numerous cuts on my hands and black paint!

Build Project Thread
Rocker Guard Comparison Chart - Final Differential Gear Ratios - Oxygen Sensor FAQ
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #3
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Get a sticker that's says "daily driver..if I break it on Sunday I'm ****ed" and keep doing what you're doing.
Unread 10-25-2009, 11:28 PM   #4
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Well that makes sense...
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
skeeterbeater
1995 YJ Wrangler 

mine is my daily driver too. i do not drive as far as you do (more like 60 to and from college) but i wheel pretty hard and when its not deer season i have some pretty knarly trails on the family farm i can hit. i have broken more things than i can count and i always fix it and some of my friends don't understand (ricers)

all and all if you don't mind staying up till 3 or 4 am to get her back running go for it and don't look back
Unread 01-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #6
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My YJ's my DD as well. I only wheel it as hard as I need to. If it breaks, fix it.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 10:54 PM   #7
Hesher420
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My LJ is my DD. And I tend to wheel in places that are 3-5 (last trip was 8) hours away from home. If I break it too bad, I've got to fix it before I can even go home.

Wheel it to a point that YOU are comfortable with, carry lots of spare parts, and the necessary tools.

**'06 Blacked Out LJ**

> > > LJ Owners Group < < <

Black Jeep Society
"We are one. One society. Digitless."
"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Hesher420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 10:57 PM   #8
skeeterbeater
1995 YJ Wrangler 

^^^ true i don't go anywhere without my tool box. luckily it barely fits behind the back seat and if i lock the tail gait you can't get it out
Unread 01-22-2010, 12:45 AM   #9
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My jeep is my DD and trail vehicle as well, but I have an old 91 explorer as a back up vehicle for getting parts and driving if can't fix it before work or college. The reason I have the explorer is I used to own a 02 Ford Focus and it was worthless in the winter so about half the winter I ended driving the explorer, and then finally I said screw it got rid of the Focus for a 4wd, and the explorer isn't worth anything to sell, so I figured I would just keep it.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 02:40 AM   #10
91YJRockCrawler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

keep wheel'n the ***** out of your DD if you want pick up another cheep car or truck go for it... my jeeps my DD but i have a 86 chevy that i got for $1000 that runs great now when i break i can take some time to think about want i want to do with my jeep like when i bent a rear leaf i was able to do a lot of research about links and coils and what it costs but that ended up not being in my price range

also it nice knowing you can beat the crap out of your jeep and still have a ride to work the next day

Quote:
its mind over matter.. I donít mind and the sheet metal donít matter
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnBlake View Post
It's JF's very own little slice of Pirate :rofl:
91YJRockCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 06:43 AM   #11
JDEEEWP
2001 TJ Wrangler 

DD as well,

although 2 years ago i bought a bike that is a great parts runner when the jeep is torn apart in the summer.

also, all the "trails" in seacoast NH seem to have been gated so i don't even wheel that much anymore. I would like to get back into it after mud season, but i know i will be driving hours to the trail...
Unread 01-22-2010, 06:56 AM   #12
PeteYJTJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My YJ was still my DD when I started Grad School. Between work, school, and home, and wheeling, I just couldn't keep doing it. I bought a cheap Honda. Parked the Jeep, drove that damm car everywhere. Didn't care where I parked it, didn't worry about it, didn't wash it, concentrated 100% on school. When school was over, I washed the car, and sold it to the next guy. Then I bought a TJ for a DD, and wheel the YJ.

Weekend warriors become trail trucks when you have too many more important things in life to do than fixing Jeeps.

JMHO,
Pete
Unread 01-22-2010, 08:20 AM   #13
YYJ87
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My yj is my dd and wheeler, i keep lots of spair parts....

but most of the crap that breaks on DD jeeps is crap that can be fixed on the side of a 2 track durring lunch..

keep doing what your comfortable with, in the end its your jeep.

Dont be so quick to let your friends hastle you because they cant keeep up \

duke
YYJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #14
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My rig is a DD but I beat on it because I take the bus to work

I'm frequently out of action for a couple of days until I get the u-joint/control arm/driveshaft/axle etc fixed. If we need to get groceries we use the Maxima.
The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
BlackBellamy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 10:58 AM   #15
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

one time I snapped the control arm off my DD

I had to stay up that night welding to get to work on monday

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.