What seats are in my yj and should I make the switch - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr.B

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-06-2017, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Bubseth

What seats are in my yj and should I make the switch

Hey guys I have these two grey seats in my yj the only thing they say on them are rally sport on the head rest but I cannot find the seats anywhere on the web to see what they're worth and the specs on them. I can find ones almost I dentical for around 400 or so but can't find the exact ones anywhere. But anyway my buddy has a pair of master craft seats one is black and doesn't recline the grey one is called mastercraft Baja rs and it does recline. This seat cost 500$-750$ new and let's just say he's gonna give it to me for a lot less but my seats won't be matching and the seats I have now are pretty nice. Any info on the seats I have now if you can find them I'd appreciate it and do you guys think I should switch the driver side seat out for the mastercraft?

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2930_1486438354369.jpg   IMG_2928_1486438395890.jpg   IMG_2929_1486438417077.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-06-2017, 09:56 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Why switch? Is there something wrong with the seats that are in it now...or do you just want an ugly, uncomfortable seat that doesn't match just because it cost more when it was new?
The ones you have in there look like they're in decent shape. No idea what make they are, but I can't think of a single reason I'd change for those others if there's nothing wrong with the ones in there.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 9 Old 02-07-2017, 05:35 AM
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The Mastercraft seat is a suspension seat with far more bolstering. If you are doing heavy offroad or rock crawling, then you might like the extra support of the Mastercraft.

If it's mostly on the road, and your existing seats are comfortable, then stick with them. They look great.

I have Mastercraft seats in mine, and they are very comfortable with great support. I would buy them again in a heartbeat. They are so much more comfortable than the worn out stock seats. I bought the non-reclining version, and they are much less expensive - about $300 per seat or so, IIRC. And I've never missed the recline feature.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 02-07-2017, 08:57 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

IMO seats can be a personal thing. Some will be comfortable to one person and not to the other. Personally, I have those Baja RS in my TJ and have been happy with them. For me, overall probably would have preferred more bolstering but I needed to retain the seat tilt option.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-07-2017, 11:43 AM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Those are Chevy Cavalier seats. Or some other GM small car seat, like Pontiac Sunfire. I have Cavalier seats in my Jeep. I like them very much. I'm sure you could sell them to some other YJ owner. But they usually cost around $30 at the Pic and Pull.
Kuntryboy816 likes this.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #6 of 9 Old 02-07-2017, 12:08 PM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Look familiar? I only have the driver side installed in the pic. And I later removed those funky seat belt things on the headrest.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #7 of 9 Old 02-07-2017, 03:47 PM
Adam013085

Garage
I'd vote Cavalier as well. They did have an RS (Rally Sport) available in Cavaliers, IDK if the head rests had the stitching in it though.

1998 Jeep wrangler
31x10.50x15 tires.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-13-2017, 08:55 AM
Kuntryboy816
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Yep, what Mr. B said. I have Cavalier seats in my Jeep that I swapped in as well. The ones in your Jeep could be from a variety of different vehicles that used the same type seat... Cavaliers, Neons, Sunfires, etc. Both of my seats flip fwd (both the back of the seat and the flip fwd bases), they recline and they're dang comfortable!

I'd recommend putting those Mastercraft seats up on a milk crate, have a seat in them and then spend 30-60+ mins on Facebook, playing Candy Crush or whatever to kill the time. How many times did you try and change position to get comfortable, relieve cramps or numbness?? That will tell you which seats are more comfortable and which ones to utilize in your Jeep. Personally, I'm a bigger guy and the bolsters in most of those racing type harness seats are annoying at best!

PS- I removed the seatbelt retainers off my seats as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Sport View Post
Until you know exactly what is underneath the, well, not really sure what to call them...mistakes...it's hard to come up with a plan of action.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-15-2017, 07:28 PM
1320yj

Those seats are Cavalier/ Sunfire seats , I have the exact same seats in my YJ they are a direct bolt on deal. Seats from a TJ will require some modification. The only problem I encountered with mine wad the seal belt holder hit the roll bar when the seat was reclined so I cut it off with a hack saw blade and that cured the problem.

1995 2.5 5 Speed SOA +2.5 rough Country lift, High steer kit , 33x12.50 Mud Rovers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.