What does "part time" mean in 4wd? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > What does "part time" mean in 4wd?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-12-2010, 04:02 PM   #16
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Anytime......do you need me to explain that?

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 04:04 PM   #17
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro95 View Post
Anytime......do you need me to explain that?
Who doesn't love this?

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #18
buickgnx88
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro95 View Post
U might want to re-think that....
Darn it Max!!
Thanks, that's what I get for replying while watching TV!
buickgnx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 05:11 AM   #19
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Or an XJ

Max
my 98 xj only had part time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 08:22 AM   #20
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy View Post
my 98 xj only had part time.
The NP242 was offered throughout the XJ production (I think) so I should have worded that better!

Nice catch!

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #21
SteelPitts

"Part Time" 4wd in 01 TJ

Hello, I've read the explanations about the 4hi and 4lo in my 01 TJ. So, is it okay to use the 4hi on the highway in snowy/icy conditions? What some said about the transfer case "binding" made me question whether highway speeds/conditions would cause damage? I had an 82 CJ that I drove in 4hi at any and all times that the roads were questionable and never had a problem. Thanks.
SteelPitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 09:50 AM   #22
buickgnx88
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I drive my YJ in 4WD hi at speeds around 55-60 when there's snow on the ground and no dry spots. Haven't had any problems yet.
buickgnx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #23
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

heh, yea "part time" sounds kind of deceptive, it kind of sounds like it's a watered down 4wd that wouldn't get you out of wet grass.

After reading up on this while looking at jeeps before I had one, I came to think of it more like "fully engaged" and "partially engaged", but reverse from what they are actually called. (even though 'partially engaged' is not accurate?) The terms given to these types of 4wd describe their usage (how often they should be used), not their level of engagement or ability.

Part-time 4wd is "fully engaged", front and rear are fully locked together at the same speeds, meaning you really only want to use it part of the time (the part of the time being only when you are off road), not all the time when you are just driving around town or something. Front and rear will always spin at the same speeds regardless of what the terrain or the rest of the vehicle is doing.

Full time 4wd is "partially engaged", the front and rear aren't always locked together (someone mentioned like an open differential, is this correct?) so you could run it all the time in any road condition. The front and rear will spin at different speeds when needed.
Unread 12-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #24
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My Jeep had a part time 4wd system. Part of the time the front axle would drive, the other part time it wouldn't

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #25
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hello, I've read the explanations about the 4hi and 4lo in my 01 TJ. So, is it okay to use the 4hi on the highway in snowy/icy conditions? What some said about the transfer case "binding" made me question whether highway speeds/conditions would cause damage? I had an 82 CJ that I drove in 4hi at any and all times that the roads were questionable and never had a problem. Thanks.
Youll be fine on the highway. Its a part time system that functions very similarly to your old CJ. The biggest thing with the bind is that if youre on dry road for very long. A few 100' dry patches in the road when its icy certainly wont hurt, but you cant drive 1/4 mile on pavement and not do a bit of wear

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/pts/4338209219.html

My build - Odd approach to 33's
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/o...h-33s-1307968/
ytowntj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #26
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It will be fine, technically even on dry pavement you will be fine as long as you don't turn, or rather sharp turns like on the street, on the highway it will be fine. You will know when binding occurs, I don't use the 4wd until I need it on the streets or highways. You have to be going slower than 55mph to engage or disengage the 4wd, but if you need 4wd you shouldn't be going faster than 55mph anyway. After engaged you can go faster than 55mph though.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.