What does "part time" mean in 4wd? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > What does "part time" mean in 4wd?

Jeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontJeep Grand Cherokee Window RegulatorComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 01-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
woodman1

What does "part time" mean in 4wd?

I just purchased an 01 Wrangler today and was going through it to make sure everything works. When I put it in 4 wheel high or low it says part time on the dash. My 84 Cj didn't have any lights :-) Of course there is no manual with this thing ptherwise I wouldn't have to ask. Thanks for any help.

woodman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
buickgnx88
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Part time means it can only not be engaged on dry pavement. I guess they decided to have the 4WD indicator light say part-time, to remind people of the system they are using.

Last edited by buickgnx88; 01-12-2010 at 04:09 PM..
buickgnx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
woodman1

I see. I guess I should have searched the subject since i see a few other identical questions. Thanks for not making to much fun of me.
Unread 01-12-2010, 03:37 PM   #4
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
Part time means it can only be engaged on dry pavement. I guess they decided to have the 4WD indicator light say part-time, to remind people of the system they are using.
WRONG!

4HI = PART TIME

I know it sounds like it means it's "partially engaged" but that is not the case. "PART TIME" is descriptive of when you can use it, part of the time.

Part time 4WD units only have the ability to distribute power to the front AND rear. They can only turn the front driveshaft the same as the rear driveshaft. This will cause binding of the driveline, in turn causing damage. That is why it should only be used on loose terrain and/or poor traction environments.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
Part time means it can only be engaged on dry pavement. I guess they decided to have the 4WD indicator light say part-time, to remind people of the system they are using.
U might want to re-think that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by from the web

Four Wheel Drive Modes

Two-wheel drive (2Hi): In this position, the front axle spins freely while power is sent to the rear axle and wheels, which then drives the vehicle. Part-time four-wheel drive high-range (4 PART TIME): In this position, the centre differential mechanically locks the front and rear driveshafts together, which then rotate at the same speed for maximum traction (this position is designed for temporary use when extra traction is required; only use on slippery or loose surfaces).

Full-time four-wheel drive high-range (4 FULL TIME): In this position, the centre differential splits the power, sending 48 percent to the front axle, and 52 percent to the rear. The transfer case may be left in this position on any road surface - including dry, paved roads.
Darn it Max!!

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.

Last edited by Jeffro06; 01-12-2010 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: Max beat me!
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Wranglers only have "PART-TIME" 4WD, some other Jeep models use transfer cases that have both PART-TIME and FULL-TIME capabilities. Here are 2 examples, and there are actually even more than that.

NP231 - "Command-Trac" part-time only - 2.72:1 ratio low range - shift pattern 2H - 4H - N - 4L

NP242 - "Selec-Trac" part-time OR full-time - 2.72:1 ratio low range - shift pattern 2H - 4part-time - 4full-time - N - 4L

Now to explain the difference between part-time and full-time gear selections.

PART TIME
This term describes when this selection should be used, only "part of the time" meaning when available traction is at it's worst & you need the most 4WD capability your Jeep has to offer.

FULL TIME
This term describes when this selection may be used, which is "full time" meaning that you can drive it in this range 24/7 under any traction conditions.

Now to explain how these 2 selections work.

PART TIME
This selection makes a direct mechanical connection between the front & rear driveshafts, and does NOT allow the power to be split at variable rates between the front & rear driveshafts. It operates much the same way a "locked" differential does, with regards to both axles being spun at the same speed. Using this selection on hard surfaces can cause "binding" in the transfer case & thus lead to premature wear and/or damage to the transfer case.

FULL TIME
This selection also makes a mechanical connection between the front & rear driveshafts, but it DOES allow the power to be variably split between the front & rear driveshafts. To make another axle differential comparison, this selection operates much the same way an "open" differential does, with regards to having the ability to direct the power to the 2 axles at different speeds. This allows the use of this selection on any surface & will not "bind" the transfer case.

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 01-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #7
woodman1

I see only 4 choices. 2wd , 4hi , neutral and 4 low. How do I get it in full time?
Unread 01-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #8
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro95 View Post
Darn it Max!!
Oops!

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 01-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #9
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman1 View Post
I see only 4 choices. 2wd , 4hi , neutral and 4 low. How do I get it in full time?
You don't. Read the first line of post #6

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 01-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #10
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
buy a different model.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 01-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #11
TJeeper

Quote:
You buy a Grand Cherokee.
Unread 01-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #12
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Why are you wanting Fulltime? To test your system find a gravel road, put it in 4HI...see if it works.

Unread 01-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #13
JeepDoo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

2wd is full time. Meaning you can use it without damage at any time weather on dry pavement or offroad.

My grandpa's 2003 Tj says 4WD when switched into 4 hi or lo. I like this much better than the part time light on my 02.
We've got too many gangsters doin dirty deeds. Too much corruption and crime in the street. It's time the long arm of the law put a few more in the ground. Send them all to their maker and he'll settle them down. - Toby Keith & Willie Nelson

[URL="http://www.norcaljeepers.net/forum/"][FONT="Century Gothic"][B][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]NOR CAL JEEPERS FORUM[/COLOR][/B][/FONT][/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/sound-system-upgrades-speakers-amps-what-you-need-know-964324/"]Want to hear the music in your TJ, look no further...[/URL]

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="White"][B]Longboard Drunk, Jeep Naked, Ski Powder[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR="LemonChiffon"][SIZE="1"]and finish calculus homework[/SIZE][/COLOR]
JeepDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #14
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJeeper View Post
You buy a Grand Cherokee.
Or an XJ

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 01-12-2010, 03:54 PM   #15
woodman1

Thanks for the quick answers. I get it now.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.