What do you think about the new 'performance wheels'? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-21-2010, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Morgans_YJ_93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

What do you think about the new 'performance wheels'?

In the few years there have been several companies working on a new non-pneumatic tire. They consist of geometric shapes that give them the support needed to support a vehicle, but still have some flexibility so that they are not stiff as a rock.

I was just wondering what the capabilities of these new tires would be for wheeling. Whether that be rock climbing, mudding, or just trails.

Here are some links for more information. Tell me what you think.

Michelin Corporation

Wisconsin Engineering University

JS Online

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-21-2010, 12:22 PM
BeerMe
1975 CJ5 

It's a good idea. Those companies obviously think it's worthwhile enough to invest research capital. We aren't going to be able to bring much to the table because I doubt anyone here has any firsthand knowledge with these. The question that comes to my mind is one of adaptability. Will a single set be capable of highway performance and acceptable trail performance? IDK.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Max-Q
1983 CJ7 

Interesting

1997 Jeep TJ
1983 Jeep CJ7
2011 JK Unlimited Rubicon

post #4 of 14 Old 02-21-2010, 12:33 PM
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I would think for mud and snow you'd want those sides covered up. But I bet that is some light weight stuff.

I can't see this going anywhere though. Is there really a serious enough problem with normal tires to warrant the cost of development??

'The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.'
post #5 of 14 Old 02-21-2010, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Morgans_YJ_93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMe View Post
It's a good idea. Those companies obviously think it's worthwhile enough to invest research capital. We aren't going to be able to bring much to the table because I doubt anyone here has any firsthand knowledge with these. The question that comes to my mind is one of adaptability. Will a single set be capable of highway performance and acceptable trail performance? IDK.
Im presuming yes, the reason for that presumption is because they say that they can attach almost any tread to this wheel. And so they could just attach a tread suitable for both on and off road.

Quote:
I would think for mud and snow you'd want those sides covered up. But I bet that is some light weight stuff.

I can't see this going anywhere though. Is there really a serious enough problem with normal tires to warrant the cost of development??
I think that once they get further into the process of developing these wheels, they will also develop a curtain of some type to protect the spokes. Especially since they're also developing these for the military.

Some of the positive things i see about these are the ability to warp around objects like rocks. For rock climbing it seems like you would get a lot better traction.

Also in one of the sources i noticed they said it was possible to easily retread and to change the tread for the desired purpose. Now i dont know if that was easy for the company to do, or easy for people at home to do with the right tools. But that seems like a fairly good idea.

Edit: forgot to add, the reason they are making these in the first place is for the military vehicles having wheels tough enough to survive IED's. That means that the only time you would really need to replace these tires would be for tread wear. Never any flats. And you only need to replace the tread for that, not the whole wheel.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-21-2010, 04:13 PM
DanZ51
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
As a former military mechanic, I can see them being great for military use. No more heavy *** run-flats and bead locks. No more tire leaks, punctures, safe from small arms fire, no more sidewall checking (you wouldn't believe how many full tread tires I've replaced for weather cracks). Survive an IED? I'm not a believer...

For our off-road use I see the big defficiency being you can't air down. Same deal for the military CTIS (Central Tire Inflation System) but that's NOT a bad thing

For those of you that have never been cursed with (maintaning) CTIS it's a JOKE. The real reason the DoD bought it is they figured it would save money on tire wear. 'Not for cross-country mobility, otherwise you wouldn't procure a truck with open differentials on all axles.

"I will always be an American Soldier"

Last edited by DanZ51; 02-21-2010 at 05:22 PM.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-21-2010, 09:44 PM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

yea those have been out of quite a few years. excellent idea, makes lots of sense to me, especially military, farm/ranch and off-road construction or mining use.

Useful Write-Ups:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #8 of 14 Old 02-22-2010, 06:14 PM
luckytaquito
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZ51 View Post
For our off-road use I see the big defficiency being you can't air down.
it doesnt need to be aired down theres no air in the darn tire. that makes it perfect for off road use because its already flexible enough!
post #9 of 14 Old 02-22-2010, 06:49 PM
GRN_BEAST95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

guess what happens when you park in 3 inches of water and it freezes hahahaha. then your really screwed

1995 YJ emerald green
4" RC lift & 2" BL
33x12.5x15 BFG AT's
Green Jeep member 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellojeeper View Post
Guam. I spent a week there one night.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-22-2010, 07:14 PM
PhulesAu
2004 LJ Wrangler 

change treads just like fork lift tires. Press on - Press off.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-22-2010, 09:29 PM
TurtleSlinger
2009 JK Wrangler 

It will be neat to see this application for practical purposes hit the market in the future.

Current stable:
09 JK Rubicon 35's and 5" lift - modded
09 WK Limited 5.7 Hemi OVERLAND - stock
07 MB AMG E63 "My 11 sec sedan" - modded
11 HD NightRod Special - modded
post #12 of 14 Old 02-23-2010, 12:11 AM
_Yeti_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawler510 View Post
....Is there really a serious enough problem with normal tires to warrant the cost of development??

I think I read that an average tire takes 4 gallons of oil to make? They may be able to use recycled plastics (cheap, available material) for the wheel.. It seems to me that once development is completed, tires could be produced cheaply. Lastly, I'd assume these wheels are lighter which should improve fuel consumption. If this is true, it makes financial and envornmental sense to me.

Carolina Offroad
post #13 of 14 Old 02-23-2010, 12:32 AM
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I wonder how well the balance is after you get a little mud clogged in there.
post #14 of 14 Old 02-23-2010, 07:31 AM
DanZ51
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckytaquito View Post
it doesnt need to be aired down theres no air in the darn tire. that makes it perfect for off road use because its already flexible enough!
Although I yet to see much indepth technical information on these (didn't Popular Science have a buzz on these YEARS ago). I would believe the flexibility of the tire is designed in and cannot be change like we do be adding or subtracting air pressure. That being the case a tire designed to be roadworthy will not be flexible enough for extreme off road use (and vise versa)

"I will always be an American Soldier"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.