What to Do With My Fuel Tank? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > What to Do With My Fuel Tank?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
Bigshankhank
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What to Do With My Fuel Tank?

My son recently got his drivers license, and while mom and I were out this morning he decided to take the TJ out to buy some things that teenage boys buy. Mom and I, finding ourselves with an empty house decided to take advantage of the situation but were interrupted by a call "Hey I stopped to get gas and now the jeep is running really bad." He managed to limp home after which we determined he put diesel in it. I thought the filler neck was too small, but whatever, he did it anyway. So now that I have dropped the tank and am in the process of pumping it out, I figured it would query JF as to what I can do with my tank on this rare opportunity to have it sitting on the floor.
I am fairly certain I have the 15 gal tank. I can see the "ping pong ball" down in the filler opening, so I am thinking to cut the neck to open it to the full 19 gallons. I am also going to replace the fuel lines and T fitting just as general maintenance.
Anything else I should or could do?

Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

A good slap on the back of a head for a bone headed move maybe? And why are you doing the work and asking the questions? Get him on here and we can walk him through it!
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
Bigshankhank
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Oh he is out there with me mucking up his hands, but now that it is on the floor I figger I may as well do whatever mods are possible.
Unread 08-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

At least in NJ we can sue the gas station to have it fixed... but when you pump your own gas, you got no one to blame

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That's good then. Depending on how bad it is I would look at a sending unit seal.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 11:20 PM   #6
dodgethejeep

Big gasoline only sticker above fuel cap so your son doesn't forget. And new fuel filter
Unread 08-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #7
Bigshankhank
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I was wondering about the filter. Again, probably cheap insurance at this point.
Unread 08-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #9
Bigshankhank
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I think part of the problem, now that I have visited the particular gas station where this occurred, is that ALL of the pump handles are green, so he just grabbed one and started to it. Oh well, by the time I was his age I had had two at-fault accidents, so I'll give him a pass this time.
Unread 08-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #10
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshankhank View Post
I think part of the problem, now that I have visited the particular gas station where this occurred, is that ALL of the pump handles are green, so he just grabbed one and started to it. Oh well, by the time I was his age I had had two at-fault accidents, so I'll give him a pass this time.
Yeah, if pumping diesel into a gas tank is all he has done wrong then things are going right.

The green pump handle thing confused me when I moved from the Northeast to the south. There was a chain of stations up there that used all green handles, but did not sell diesel. Luckily I always read and held the diesel handle for a few moments in confusion.

As for the filter: Some 1997+ fuel pump assemblies have a filter sock on the bottom of it that pop off. Simply washing it out with water or rubbing alcohol will clean it up. Replace it if the plastic mesh is broken.

Definitely do the 19/20 gallon modification! Why not? :P

I do not think your Wrangler is old enough to have one of those big canister inline filters. If you do then replace it.

Do you have an air compressor? The fuel rail at the engine will need to be taken off and blown out along with the fuel line.
Unread 08-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #11
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The strainers at the base of the fuel pump are only a few dollars. I got mine from rockauto.com. This write up shows how to strip the fuel pump assembly and replace them. The main filter is combined with the fuel pressure regulator on top of the assembly.

DailyDrivenTJ-Fuel Pump Repair

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:33 AM   #12
Bigshankhank
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well in the end this turned in to a PITA but not a disaster. Sadly, with the TJ being a daily driver I couldn't keep it off the road any longer than it took to get the diesel out of it so despite my ambition, the tank mods will have to wait. I did replace the drain back line and fittings.
For reference, for anyone who didnt already know this, contact the hazardous waste department in your county for disposal of bad fuel. Years back in south Florida I remember the fire department took the stuff and used it now training fires, but apparently not south Texas.
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #13
Bigshankhank
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What gives, the other day I checked this thread and there were four or five other posts in it, now they are gone. No insults, no racial stuff or obscenity, why were those posts deleted?
In response to one poster who doubted that the '00 TJ could take diesel due to the filler neck being to narrow; whether it is or isn't, I still pumped about four gallons out of my tank, maybe yours is different but mine took it like a champ.
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #14
LMontycj2a

1946 CJ2A 

Tell your son he's not the only one who has done this. I know two other people that have done that same thing.
Worst, I also know one person that put gas in a diesel. Bye, bye diesel engine.

As far as the "bad fuel", if you have or know someone with an older vehicle, you know one that doesn't have a computer, just dilute the diesel down with gas and run it through.
1968 C-101 (Jeepster)
LMontycj2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2014, 05:10 PM   #15
Bigshankhank
2000 TJ Wrangler 

To bring this back from the dead, my fuel pump just bit the dust on me. Not sure if this contributed, but I cannot imagine that it helped. Lè sigh.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.