what constitutes a REAL JEEP??? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > what constitutes a REAL JEEP???

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 10-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #61
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthermark View Post

The waters are not muddied with time. The waters are muddied because the history is muddy. Is "Jeep" a brand or a vehicle or something more (an idea)?
This is my approach. History is rarely as clear and simple as it is often portrayed. The muddiness is where things get interesting. Truths sometimes can be surprisingly easy to revoke.That is why I will not take AMC's word as the final say for what the Wrangler really is. While it must be considered, this is not the end of the discussion. Kaiser & AMC lost control of that discourse when Jeep (like Harley) developed a loyal counter-culture following. That is where the Real Jeep is. This is why Jeep has managed to survive this long despite being bounced through 5 manufacturers. Jeep survived both because of and despite Chrysler. Jeep is bigger than a corporate brand and a corporate history.

I fully agree that the CJ is something special and unique and sadly incompatible with our modern world. But it is only part of a larger continuing story.

Unread 10-15-2013, 12:17 AM   #62
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthermark View Post
The waters are not muddied with time. The waters are muddied because the history is muddy. Is "Jeep" a brand or a vehicle or something more (an idea)?
Maybe the term JEEP stands for infinitely more than Just Empty Every Pocket. Perhaps the real intention is Just Explore Every Place while Just Entertaining Every Person...

I suppose that is what make a real JEEP, is a vehicle that can literally Just Explore Every Place, or Just Entertain Every Person.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #63
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hooray ! finally a reality statement that we can all identify with-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Maybe the term JEEP stands for infinitely more than Just Empty Every Pocket. Perhaps the real intention is Just Explore Every Place while Just Entertaining Every Person...

I suppose that is what make a real JEEP, is a vehicle that can literally Just Explore Every Place, or Just Entertain Every Person.
Very well said X, pretty much sums up all the jeep owners, no matter what the jeep description-

Good day

--JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #64
Astennis1
2013 JK Wrangler 

The end

13 JKUR
Astennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #65
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Until the next thread...
Unread 10-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #66
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsfiddle View Post
I really wish that they would go back to the CJ or YJ and stop making the jeep so modern and comfy it really takes the character and fun out it. I hope someday they come to their senses
Not jeep specific, but an interesting thread from somebody who purports to represent a manufacturer talking about a new, sort of back to basics (some stuff (e.g. safety related) can't be avoided) offroad offering:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...dern-4x4s.html
Unread 10-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #67
MightyLampshade

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrow2 View Post
round headlights
ftfy
1979 Golden Eagle Rebuild
MightyLampshade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #68
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsfiddle
I really wish that they would go back to the CJ or YJ and stop making the jeep so modern and comfy it really takes the character and fun out it. I hope someday they come to their senses
Or you can just buy a CJ or YJ..?

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #69
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar

Not jeep specific, but an interesting thread from somebody who purports to represent a manufacturer talking about a new, sort of back to basics (some stuff (e.g. safety related) can't be avoided) offroad offering:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...dern-4x4s.html
Those guys need to follow Mosler/Trenne approach to building super cars but apply it to "Jeeps" and it'd be a niche success.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #70
Astennis1
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsfiddle View Post
I don't really understand your problem with comfort. I bet your house has AC, hot water, and electricity. If someone told you to come to your senses and get rid of all of that you would probably think they were crazy ( im speculating, hell you could be a mountain man for all I know). Like Bob Dylan said "For the times they are a-changin"

13 JKUR
Astennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #71
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astennis1 View Post
I don't really understand your problem with comfort. I bet your house has AC, hot water, and electricity. If someone told you to come to your senses and get rid of all of that you would probably think they were crazy ( im speculating, hell you could be a mountain man for all I know). Like Bob Dylan said "For the times they are a-changin"
Many many of us feel that we collectively are becoming soft and unable to deal with adversity or discomfort. Its all a part of the underlying feeling that America is losing its strength and character. Everything is provided for us and the young people don't appreciate it yet feel entitled. Some will argue that a comfortable Jeep is a small symptom of the larger issue.

Maybe its no different than when our grandparents used to walk uphill to and from school trudging through 8 foot high snowdrifts in the sweltering sun all the while being attacked by wolves. Or maybe we have finally hit the tipping point...
Unread 10-16-2013, 06:26 AM   #72
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have a comfy A/Cd house and truck but I like the change of a stripped naked YJ.
It's like the difference between staying at the Waldorf Astoria and backpacking the appalachian trail. Both have their place.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #73
vincejeep1
2010 JK Wrangler 

This is stupid. Buy what you like and don't care what anyone thinks

Just here to have fun
vincejeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #74
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

It's not a real Jeep unless it goes off road and gets stuck ...............

Then it is entitled to being considered a Jeep
Unread 10-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #75
devilsfiddle
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
It's not a real Jeep unless it goes off road and gets stuck ...............

Then it is entitled to being considered a Jeep
Cool. Mine has been stuck in a snow ditch in Vermont
Had to use 4 wheel drive low to get it out...

Aftermarket-steel bumper kit,replaced soft top
New ball joints and rear brakes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.