what constitutes a REAL JEEP??? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > what constitutes a REAL JEEP???

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #31
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdavex View Post

not real jeeps:

winner!

vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #32
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayrat View Post
My first real Jeep was a 1947 with a flathead four, don't recall the name on it as I was only 13 when driving it so did not care, second was a 1958 with the "Jeep" four banger. Third, perhaps not so "real", was a 1973 with the AMC six, great engine that was, plowed snow and never gave up. Long gone was the Willys trademark. Even Ford built a few Jeeps during the war. Beyond that, I have owned a number of Mercedes and Crapsler Jeeps. The Germans did a good job redesigning the to the JK iteration.

To say someone does not own a "real" Jeep due to cosmetic issues, how they drive it, year it was built, etc. is just foolish. If a person desires the "one and only original" it best be painted green and be somewhere over 60 years old. Hope that helps answer your question.
Well said mate! Agreed wholely! Good choices btw
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #33
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

A real Jeep is a Jeep that gets loved offroad.

Not driven by some chick that doesn't know what "4x4" means.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 07:13 AM   #34
trailboss
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Any Jeep vehicle that is used in the way it was intended. Offroad. Anything else is just a car...

An educated, armed populace cannot be enslaved.
trailboss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #35
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

A good question but unfortunately one that's misunderstood and then spun and twisted into a "my ride is better than your ride" childish argument that ignores the REAL meaning of the comment that's been around longer than alot of the people getting offended.
It simply means the vehicle line that started it all. The Jeep (military or civilian version) was never given a name other than the Jeep, or the "universal" Jeep. Nonetheless, just Jeep. Every other vehicle was given a name, even before there was even a company named Jeep or a trademark for the word (1950). A REAL JEEP means the vehicle lineage that started it all for it's maker, Willy's. It was a Willy's Jeep. Not a Willy's car, not a Willy's Wrangler, not a Willy's Liberty, not a Willy's Wagoneer, but a Jeep model from Willy's.

It' not meant as a derogatory comment but rather to differentiate the Jeep. Would "AN ACTUAL" Jeep make you less offended? If it was given a name we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Everyone wants to suddenly include any vehicle model made by the Jeep company into the mix nowadays, I guess so they don't feel left out or slighted and that adds to the confusion. And I would hope that no one is still hangin on to the misguided notion that a wrangler was a continuation of the Jeep line. (That myth has been debunked for ages) Why was there never this issue before recent times? Maybe because none of the former owners had created so many different models under the Jeep brand. When a Cherokee was referred to as a Cherokee (etc.), there was never an issue.

So when you hear someone say a "Real Jeep", they are simply defining a specific model, the MB/CJ model. That's all. It's not a diss. to whatever you choose to drive. Yes they are all Jeep brand vehicles but you typically don't refer to vehicles generically by their brand.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #36
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82
A good question but unfortunately one that's misunderstood and then spun and twisted into a "my ride is better than your ride" childish argument that ignores the REAL meaning of the comment that's been around longer than alot of the people getting offended.
It simply means the vehicle line that started it all. The Jeep (military or civilian version) was never given a name other than the Jeep, or the "universal" Jeep. Nonetheless, just Jeep. Every other vehicle was given a name, even before there was even a company named Jeep or a trademark for the word (1950). A REAL JEEP means the vehicle lineage that started it all for it's maker, Willy's. It was a Willy's Jeep. Not a Willy's car, not a Willy's Wrangler, not a Willy's Liberty, not a Willy's Wagoneer, but a Jeep model from Willy's.

It' not meant as a derogatory comment but rather to differentiate the Jeep. Would "AN ACTUAL" Jeep make you less offended? If it was given a name we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Everyone wants to suddenly include any vehicle model made by the Jeep company into the mix nowadays, I guess so they don't feel left out or slighted and that adds to the confusion. And I would hope that no one is still hangin on to the misguided notion that a wrangler was a continuation of the Jeep line. (That myth has been debunked for ages) Why was there never this issue before recent times? Maybe because none of the former owners had created so many different models under the Jeep brand. When a Cherokee was referred to as a Cherokee (etc.), there was never an issue.

So when you hear someone say a "Real Jeep", they are simply defining a specific model, the MB/CJ model. That's all. It's not a diss. to whatever you choose to drive. Yes they are all Jeep brand vehicles but you typically don't refer to vehicles generically by their brand.
I was unaware this was a "myth" let alone the fact it's been debunked...by who? I would hope not you or any third party with an opinion, I would hope that was stated by whoever owned the Jeep marque at that point in time ie Chrysler.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #37
panthermark
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post
I was unaware this was a "myth" let alone the fact it's been debunked...by who? I would hope not you or any third party with an opinion, I would hope that was stated by whoever owned the Jeep marque at that point in time ie Chrysler.

Meh...for some reason he believes that only HIS particular model qualifies as "Real Jeep" when the question itself is open to ones own interpretation and criteria.

Is a Jeep Dispatcher (DJ) "Real Jeep"? I think so...but I guess since it's name is "Dispatcher"...it must not be "Real" according to some.

Whatever...

I enjoy them all...

I see why I'm a loner....and I love it!
panthermark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #38
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Actually, Chrysler DIDN'T hold the trademark at the time. The Wrangler was developed by AMC and yes it was AMC that "debunked" that fact.
Unread 10-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #39
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82
Actually, Chrysler DIDN'T hold the trademark at the time. The Wrangler was developed by AMC and yes it was AMC that "debunked" that fact.
So what did AMC do to "debunk" that "fact"
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #40
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Well panthermark, if you consider a 2wd car a Jeep then your livin' in a different realm. And "my model"... please don't assume you know anything about me besides that I'm currently building a Jeep. I think you and I have come to the agreement that we disagree. I don't wish to rehash this discussion with you again. Your mind is set.

rebel - You can do some further research but these should leave no doubt if one is to be objective and unbiased. The dash plaque from the factory on the last ones.

"American Motors will end production early next year of the venerable Jeep CJ-direct descendent of the workhorse of World War II" is how the announcement went. More than 1.5 million CJ models had been sold since it all started back in 1945. "Completion of the CJ production will signal an end of a very important era in Jeep history," the news release continued. The CJ-7 was built alongside the CJ-5. January 1986 brought the finale of the CJ-7 and the birth of the Wrangler that spring, which sort of resembled the CJ-7, but its true inspiration was the Cherokee (because passenger cars-particularly their handling and ride quality-were all the rage)." - FOURWHEELER Network, Jp magazine 2007

Do a search on a news release made 29 november 1985 by AMC VP of Production Joseph Cappy, where he announced this "The quarter-ton Jeep earned a worldwide reputation for ruggedness and versatility in wartime. That tradition has continued for more than four decades that the CJ has been sold to the public. Completion of the CJ production will signal an end of a very important era in Jeep history". I can't locate the news archive at the moment.

But the lingering question is, why must the wrangler owners insist on being a continuation of the Jeep. It's a fine vehicle in it's own right. Why the coattailing to another vehicle?
Unread 10-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #41
panthermark
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Well panthermark, if you consider a 2wd car a Jeep then your livin' in a different realm.

Stop right there...are these "real" Jeeps or not?

You are the only one coming in here trying to dictate what "Real" Jeep is...there rest of us seem to understand that is an open ended question.

So again, are the above "Real" Jeeps or not?

Or (because they are 2WD) does "real" become a matter of opinion? (Just like this entire thread).

I see why I'm a loner....and I love it!
panthermark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #42
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

So your not content with trying to rewrite history, you now speak for all?
Those are the Dispatcher model and a model number of DJ-* A completely different line of vehicle and some for export, so no. I know, now you come back with "they look the same". That's because they took the look from an earlier model, the CJ-3a. It's not about looks.... or is it? (if so, then the jk must be a hummer then) Maybe I'm assuming you knew one of the basic characteristics was that it had 4 wheel drive (and not 3 doors).
Now your trying too hard. Let it go.
Unread 10-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #43
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post

"American Motors will end production early next year of the venerable Jeep CJ-direct descendent of the workhorse of World War II" is how the announcement went. More than 1.5 million CJ models had been sold since it all started back in 1945. "Completion of the CJ production will signal an end of a very important era in Jeep history," the news release continued. The CJ-7 was built alongside the CJ-5. January 1986 brought the finale of the CJ-7 and the birth of the Wrangler that spring, which sort of resembled the CJ-7, but its true inspiration was the Cherokee (because passenger cars-particularly their handling and ride quality-were all the rage)." - FOURWHEELER Network, Jp magazine 2007
As I mentioned in the other Real Jeep thread, I care less about whatever AMC thought they were doing with the lineage in 1986-7. We the people have decided what a Jeep really is, not some corporate marketing team.

Which Jeep history is more meaningful - the official corporate history or the story, lifestyle and culture created by the owners over the last 70 years?
Unread 10-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #44
devilsfiddle
2008 JK Wrangler 

I really wish that they would go back to the CJ or YJ and stop making the jeep so modern and comfy it really takes the character and fun out it. I hope someday they come to their senses
Unread 10-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #45
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsfiddle View Post
I really wish that they would go back to the CJ or YJ and stop making the jeep so modern and comfy it really takes the character and fun out it. I hope someday they come to their senses
Nothing short of an economic collapse that forces us to give up our current levels of comfort and safety will ever give us anything like the old Jeeps, Broncos, Scouts and FJ's. A developing industrialized country with fewer safety regulations can easily give its people a simple primitive utility vehicle. The US is way beyond that freedom. We did it to ourselves...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.