What bike to choose? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > What bike to choose?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
Tdog02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

What bike to choose?

Ok, I'm 250lbs. With that weight on the frame, what bicycle would be a good option? Cost is a factor, gonna ride easy trails and I'm in decent shape. Be gentle, I haven't ridden a bike in years.

Unread 05-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

your weight is nothing for a decent xc bike. i have a buddy that is in the 300 lb range and rides nothing but sub 24lb xc's

cant really go wrong with giant, kona, felt, rocky mountain, and a wide variety of others. stay away from the kmart specials, they are all crap

hit a couple local bike shop and see what you like. most shops only carry 1 or 2 lines, so you may have to drive around a bit

be ready for some sticker shock, with gas prices rising, entry level is around $500 and they can easily hit the $5k+ range
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
lolitsdaelan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with Ironhead on the local shop front. I picked up a new mountain bike last year and i don't know ANYTHING about bike/part manufacturers. The local shops seem to be more interested in getting you the right bike instead of the best profit. The guy I worked with recommended about 4 bikes based on my riding requirements, and let me putt around outside the store on them, even made small adjustments (seat/handlebar height). I walked out of there with a great fitting bike and a stellar price (i was lucky enough to catch the end of year sale).

Just take your time and make sure you like what you're buying!
Unread 05-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

For someone your size I'd aim more toward an all-mountain bike. A nice one will be light enough, and with good enough geometry to climb very well, while being built strong enough to survive full downhilling. I could throw around some recommendations, but there is a huge price range possible! Local bike shop is the best way to go
AlbertaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 11:14 PM   #5
samuraisavr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

if I had one suggestion its this. Look at what you're going to spend on a new bike, then take that same amount of money and jump on Craigslist or Pinkbike. You can get a lot of bike for 5-600 dollars. In the ways of new bikes, 5-600 will get you started and by the time you have a bike you want, all you have left from the initial purchase is the frame. Been there done that.
Pocket
samuraisavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
PMSteve
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Harley Davidson Fat Boy!
PMSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
Tdog02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the suggestions. I had 500 set aside for a decent bike for exercise and fun when camping or trails. The Harley blows my budget and may not burn as many calories

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.