What Axle is this...I thought it was a d30. And should I be worried about this gear? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > What Axle is this...I thought it was a d30. And should I be worried about this gear?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 08-11-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
nathanninja
1991 YJ Wrangler 

What Axle is this...I thought it was a d30. And should I be worried about this gear?

So for anyone who ever saw my posts, I'm trying to replace the u joints in the front right of the axle on my 91 YJ. Well I needed a new outer shaft because the ears on mine were bent. So I went to Jeff Daniels, got a YJ d30 shaft. got home, it looks too short. Took it back today, and talked to the guy, we went out back and looked at their axle rack and by process of elimination figured out I have a TJ D30 in the front. Traded axle shafts, all good. Get home, finally get the hub nut off with my new impact wrench (half off, display model ) and after convincing the hub to come off, got the axle shaft out. Well the two aren't quite the same. It's closer than before though. The threading on the end for the hub nut is finer on my shaft, and coarser on the new one. The inner shaft piece (I got the whole thing) is skinnier, and the splines on the end are smaller and more plentiful. The splines on my shaft (I apologize for any innuendos you my draw from my overuse of that word ) are larger and fewer. You can also see the outer piece is a little different. In all these pics, the new (to me) shaft is the one on top, and mine is on bottom.

Finer threads

Larger splines

Okay and now the second part. When I took my shift motor out I noticed that the gear teeth ends looked a little worn, is this anything I should be worried about? And the second pic is of my steering knuckle. The loose bearing cap came around and wore bits off the knuckle as you can see, should I be worried about that?

And lastly a picture of my axle...which I'm 95% sure is a dana 30, but with all thats been going on lately who knows. Also, if anyone could give me a run down of the pros/cons of a TJ d30 over a YJ just so that i know what I'm dealing with, that'd be awesome. If I could get some help here ASAP I would really appreciate it, I wanna hopfully get the new shaft in tomorrow and be driving this weekend

nathanninja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
1murderedjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That is a d30 but I would recommend chromoly one piece shafts if you are going to do any wheeling and I got mine from east-coast gear supply I'm pretty sure they are a vendor on here and you could probably get a deal. Btw I don't believe there is a difference between the tj and yj front axle however the tj has a d35 rear which is known to be weaker.
1murderedjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
nathanninja
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1murderedjeep View Post
That is a d30 but I would recommend chromoly one piece shafts if you are going to do any wheeling and I got mine from east-coast gear supply I'm pretty sure they are a vendor on here and you could probably get a deal. Btw I don't believe there is a difference between the tj and yj front axle however the tj has a d35 rear which is known to be weaker.
I would get the upgraded shafts except I'm dead fricken broke, I got the used shaft for $30 so I got lucky. From what I could tell and what the guy said at Jeff Daniels, the TJ front has a different attachment for the hub and nut. I counted the splines, the new shaft has 27, my old one is 15. I did a little googling, I think he got me a driver's side shaft, I need the passenger with a disconnect. I can take him my shaft tomorrow and have him match it up and hopefully he has a used one for me
Unread 08-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #4
1murderedjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ya I busted my pass. U joint and shaft the first time I went wheeling. You are lucky to find used shafts I called so many junk yard and couldn't find anything so I have to bit the bullet and get new ones. Good luck and be careful with the seals when you put the new ones in.
1murderedjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
nathanninja
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ya I busted my pass. U joint and shaft the first time I went wheeling. You are lucky to find used shafts I called so many junk yard and couldn't find anything so I have to bit the bullet and get new ones. Good luck and be careful with the seals when you put the new ones in.
Thanks man. I priced new ones off morris and qtec and was like crap $100 I'm gonna die, and then I was like what the heck I'll go to the local Jeep shop and see if they've got anything. Those guys are awesome, he gave me both pieces of the shaft for the price of the outer one cuz he didn't want to take it apart. If I ever need something done that I can't do, I'm totally taking the Jeep there. There's only one Junkyard around here with wranglers, and even thats an hour and a half away, and they only have 3 wranglers. On the plus, they have TONS of explorers, 8.8 one day
Unread 08-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Like you already found out you have the wrong shaft.
You need the drivers shaft. The only problem is the TJs did not have a axle disconnect.
You can still use a TJ shaft but you will have to install another seal on the inside of the diff.
Plus side is you will have larger U joints.
Not sure of the spline count on the stub axle. Never heard anything about different spline counts.
You may have to change your unit bearings to make it work.
Hey they probably need to be replaced anyway right?
I would also go ahead and change the U joints too. Those looked toasted.
Yes that is a HP Dana 30.
Unread 08-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #7
nathanninja
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
You need the drivers shaft. The only problem is the TJs did not have a axle disconnect.
You can still use a TJ shaft but you will have to install another seal on the inside of the diff.
Not sure of the spline count on the stub axle. Never heard anything about different spline counts.
The drivers side unit bearing seems newer, it looks shiny and spins really well. The passenger side is a little stiffer, but still spins smoothly. The whole reason for me taking the shafts out is to replace the u Joints and passenger outer shaft, so those (nearly immovably stiff) old joints are definitely getting tossed. What does the stock YJ outer (or "stub") shaft look like?
Unread 08-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #8
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanninja View Post
The drivers side unit bearing seems newer, it looks shiny and spins really well. The passenger side is a little stiffer, but still spins smoothly. The whole reason for me taking the shafts out is to replace the u Joints and passenger outer shaft, so those (nearly immovably stiff) old joints are definitely getting tossed. What does the stock YJ outer (or "stub") shaft look like?
The stub shaft is your second picture.
The stock one is the top shaft.
The bottom one is a TJ shaft with the larger U joint.
Unread 08-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #9
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am sure it has been a while since you messed witha YJ 30 but the passanger side is the side with the disconnect on a YJ.

Quote:
The stub shaft is your second picture.
The stock one is the top shaft.
The bottom one is a TJ shaft with the larger U joint.
The bottom one is not a TJ shaft, I have never seen a spline set up like that on a TJ shaft before. TJ's are all 27 spline inner and outer in the Dana 30. TJ driver side shafts are interchangable with the YJ inner and outer with no modifications, you will just get a bigger ujoint unless you have a late model 95 Wrangler (driver is the short side). The passanger side (long side) is where you will have to block off the vacuum disco portion and add a new inner seal.

The only difference that would cause you to change unit bearings is to match them up with the correct rotors. All TJ/YJ/XJ/MJ Dana 30 outers will go into any wheel bearing you pull it from. The size of the unit bearing determines the depth of the hat on the rotor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2011, 08:24 AM   #10
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

The top shaft is a drivers side regular shaft for a TJ, YJ, XJ, ZJ, MJ...

The botton is the outer shaft of thje passenger side for a disconnect YJ or XJ or MJ. The slide collar uses those huge splines with another internal shaft to lock them together to have 4wd when the t-case is shifted.

All dana 30s from YJs, TJs, XJs, ZJs, and MJs, are the same. Except that some early XJs and all YJs have the disconnect. All other parts will interchange except the ring and pinion from TJs, Late XJs, and ZJs, b/c they are low pinion and XJs, MJs, and YJs are high pinion.
Unread 08-13-2011, 08:31 AM   #11
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Btw I don't believe there is a difference between the tj and yj front axle.
The difference between a TJ and YJ axle are the YJ uses a vacuum disconnect and has a 2 piece long side inner shaft, plus all YJ D30's are high pinion. YJ's also had smaller 260X ujoints until the 1995 model year when they switched to 297x (which has been replaced by spicers 760X) The hubs and brakes are different but if you match the correct year hubs and rotors they are interchangable. YJ's are set up for leaf springs as well. The TJ uses a 1 piece shaft and all TJ D30's are low pinion. All TJ 30's have 297x ujoints. TJ's of coarse are set up for coils.

Quote:
however the tj has a d35 rear which is known to be weaker
ALL YJ's came with a Dana 35 rear except a few Canadian model YJ's that got lucky and came with a D44 (I have never actually seen this, only read it online). Tons of TJ's came with a Dana 44 in the rear. If you want the specifics go read the TJ stock specs in the TJ forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 12:02 AM   #12
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
I am sure it has been a while since you messed witha YJ 30 but the passanger side is the side with the disconnect on a YJ.

The bottom one is not a TJ shaft, I have never seen a spline set up like that on a TJ shaft before. TJ's are all 27 spline inner and outer in the Dana 30. TJ driver side shafts are interchangable with the YJ inner and outer with no modifications, you will just get a bigger ujoint unless you have a late model 95 Wrangler (driver is the short side). The passanger side (long side) is where you will have to block off the vacuum disco portion and add a new inner seal.

The only difference that would cause you to change unit bearings is to match them up with the correct rotors. All TJ/YJ/XJ/MJ Dana 30 outers will go into any wheel bearing you pull it from. The size of the unit bearing determines the depth of the hat on the rotor.
Oops sorry you are right it was the passenger side.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.