To wave or not to wave - JeepForum.com
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 79 Old 06-19-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
KSagal
1990 YJ Wrangler 

To wave or not to wave

So, since I got my wrangler a couple months ago, I find myself frequently waving to other wranglers as they drive by...

I have observed that while I started with a full hand wave, and sometimes went to a thumbs up kind of wave, I frequently got a two finger wave back. Kind of a victory wave back...

So, what is the story here?

Also, I just got back from camping in Maine, and have an older motorhome. Previously, I had been towing my Lincoln MKX suv behind the motorhome, but since I now have a wrangler, it clearly means I tow that.

Here is my question, if I am driving the motorhome, and towing the wrangler, do I still wave? After all, I am driving and the wrangler is under my control. Clearly no one else is driving it.

When I wave from the motorhome to wrangler drivers, I frequently get confused looks, and sometimes waves back, but it is not the same...

Jeep_Couple likes this.

Karl Sagal
1990 YJ Wrangler, 5 speed
Well done is better than well said. (Ben Franklin)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 Old 06-19-2017, 08:05 PM
Van857

I wouldn't wave just because no one will see the Jeep and they're just saying "whys this guy waving" LOL it's not a huge problem so I would just say don't let it bother you, just do what you want to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
puppybreath likes this.
post #3 of 79 Old 06-19-2017, 09:44 PM
dsaylor

Garage
Think that's bad, trying throwing the Jeep wave when you've forgotten that you're actually driving your Prius at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mookdog likes this.

88 yj 4.2 Weber Carb
Mostly Stock

post #4 of 79 Old 06-20-2017, 04:38 AM
DirectMatrix
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Between the Jeep, the motorcycle and the boat, pretty much anytime I'm transporting myself somewhere, I'm waving LOL.

I say wave...the other drivers will figure it out once they see the Jeep in tow and if they don't, they'll just think you're friendly, which *most* Jeep people are anyways.

~DM

92 YJ, Delilah

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 79 Old 06-20-2017, 06:42 AM
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I find myself waving no matter what I'm driving...

I stopped waving at 4 door JK's unless they're built. Even then I normally don't get a wave back. They're probably pissed because they have more in their tires and lift than I do in my whole Jeep. LOL

-John-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 79 Old 06-20-2017, 06:49 AM
Jeep_Couple
2017 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I understand where your coming from lol. I wave and get waved back alot in my jeep but when I am in my truck I dont get any waves. Its just a thing I guess. Sometimes I will be at a red light in my jeep and look in my review and see a jeep behind me and they wave so I stick my hand out the roof. There was one time where I had the top down and it started raining so at a red light I pulled the parking break and jumped up to put my top down and a fellow jeeper gave me the wave and started laughing a bit since it was pouring rain out of know where.

Jeepin
post #7 of 79 Old 06-20-2017, 10:54 AM
Hog_Bear
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy68 View Post
I stopped waving at 4 door JK's unless they're built.
I'm almost to this point. My kids have even remarked how JKs don't wave back. The highlight of my kids day is when a jeeper waves back.

I can say, from my experience, YJs owners always wave, maybe 80% of the TJs wave, and maybe 10% of the JKs wave. But I'm thinking it's because JKs are getting to be trendy.
dsaylor likes this.

I went 2 the woods..2live deliberately..2live deep..and not..Discover that I had not lived-Thoreau
post #8 of 79 Old 06-20-2017, 11:00 AM
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I love the mutual "down low" wave when I pass a fellow doorless Jeeper.
mark1305 likes this.
post #9 of 79 Old 06-20-2017, 12:55 PM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Just wave. Anytime you feel it. It doesn't cost anything.
lclark2074 likes this.

Bill
Dodge did not build my Jeep.
1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2.5" lift + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
post #10 of 79 Old 06-21-2017, 11:45 AM
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Bottom line, ALWAYS WAVE

No one ever got hurt in a Road Rave situation. Just be sure to use all five fingers!
JimE2 likes this.
post #11 of 79 Old 06-21-2017, 07:39 PM
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

I follow the mantra that the smaller Jeep waves first. Since mine is usually the bigger one, I wave second. I never wave from my WJ. I don't think people know it's a Jeep, even on 32's. One day when I get the 6.5" lift and 35's I'll see if other Jeeps wave.

Brian's Black Betty Build:
post #12 of 79 Old 06-22-2017, 05:43 AM
-OIIIIIIIO-01
Mall Rated

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I only wave at CJ YJ TJ and built XJ and MJ. I only wave at a JK if they wave 1st. (Which is never)

I did wave at JK's at 1st, but they must not see me with there top on, doors on, windows rolled up blasting there A/C on a beautiful sunny day!

Just cause you own one doesn't mean you understand....
DirectMatrix likes this.

91 YJ 4.0/AX15/231J AA SYE/ Tom Woods CV
3.5" BDS Springs / .75" Booms / 1"BL
HP D30 /Akebono's /1 Ton GM Crossover Steering
Ford 8.8 / Trac loc LSD w/ disc brakes
35x12.5x16 Nitto Trail Grapplers
Walbro255 MetalCloaks
post #13 of 79 Old 06-22-2017, 11:09 AM
Shadownwpa
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Another thread on this already?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/shadownwpa-91ish-yj-build-thread-1857154/
post #14 of 79 Old 06-22-2017, 06:09 PM
fishadventure
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I wave at any CJ/YJ and occasionally a TJ if I doesn't have chrome or other stupid things, and any pre-1986 jeep product, and any XJ that waves at me.
This generally corresponds with those people who get it.

Oh, and there's a couple pretty cute 20-somethings locally who have lifted JKs that always throw a wave, and I try to make sure I wave back LOL
I don't know if they get it or not but either way it's not from me. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Shackles and D-rings: different things!
Cranking IS turning over
post #15 of 79 Old 06-22-2017, 06:15 PM
shaun94

Kinda reminds me of the goofy "low side" wave some people think is required if you ride a motorcycle. I would wave normally myself. Sometimes they wave back, sometimes they look at you like you're retarded or something. I stopped waving and started just enjoying the ride. I don't care who they are anyway.

It's more fun when you're topless

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.