To wash or not to wash - what is too much? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > To wash or not to wash - what is too much?

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955RCV Axles at CCOR15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 06-01-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
Stix Fx
2008 JK Wrangler 

To wash or not to wash - what is too much?

Around my area I have Autobell vehicle wash places. Since my Wrangler Sahara (2dr soft top) doesn't leak and my area has water restrictions that I cannot wash my own vehicle (I don't have time or patience anyway to do it myself), I run it through there to wash it frequently (they recycle water and as a business aren't restricted by the water restrictions). In fact, I bought an unlimited monthly pass for $40 a month (wash outside, dry and vacuum and clean inside each time) where I can take my Jeep in there five times a day if I wanted to.

My question is, how much is too much to wash it? I really like keeping my Jeep clean.

A good example is yesterday morning. I got my Jeep washed, then went on a road trip three hours away to cover a short track race, then late last night I drove back home. My Jeep is full of dead bug streaks and some dirt flakes from parking in the dirt lot. I might take it back today to get it washed again.

What is a recommended amount of times to wash or not wash a Jeep where it won't hurt the paint or whatnot?

Stix Fx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
winkosmosis
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Wash it when it's dirty.

And you really should wax it.
winkosmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
BigDaddyChoice
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix Fx View Post
My question is, how much is too much to wash it? I really like keeping my Jeep clean.

What is a recommended amount of times to wash or not wash a Jeep where it won't hurt the paint or whatnot?
Stix Fix - this is absolute preference. If you have an unlimited pass to an Autobell vehicle wash establishment, then wash away! But like winkosmosis suggests, it would be a good idea to wax it. It will protect your paint and keep your Jeep nice and shiny.

I know some people on here will suggest Jeeps are meant to be dirty, and that mud, dirt and rock rash are essential to the look of a Jeep - but it's your Jeep, brother. Do with it as you wish.

Incidentally, I wash my Jeep once a year in the Spring. And I spray the underside after every wheeling adventure, but I don't touch the paint.

"Drive it there, wheel it, drive it home"

JEEP OBSESSION: Testing the limits of financial stability.

Windtunnel failed since September, 2000
BigDaddyChoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It seems I wash mine once a week or every 10 days. It's a daily driver and takes a bit of highway crud and only the occasional mud bath.

The guys are right, waxing will help it repell crud during washings and keep the paint shiny.

As for people saying jeeps are meant to be dirty...those people must have bought $5k used wranglers. If they had to pay sticker price new...they would be washing for sure. LOL
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads
  • Car Wash - JK Wrangler Technical Forum (25 replies)
  • car wash and the JK??? - JK Wrangler Technical Forum (19 replies)
  • Car Wash - JK Wrangler Technical Forum (10 replies)
  • Car Wash - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (22 replies)
  • Car Wash - JK Wrangler Technical Forum (27 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.