Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Vw Diesel Swap Kit

16K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Drix 
#1 ·
This company just released one...
http://www.hpamotorsport.com/TDI-YJ-AX5.htm

I'm sure this has been discussed before but, this is the first time i've seen a kit for one.

Its got to be pretty difficult to find one of these motors on the cheap. However if you do and your willing to do the work yourself, this could be a pretty cool setup!

#2 · (Edited)
*I deleted a lot of stuff I just wrote against this swap, it turns out I was looking at stock 1.9tdi power numbers and didn't take into account the numbers this "HPAmotorsports" claims the engine can be tuned to make. Basically my post was worthless and I now think it's a pretty good idea*

#6 ·
dr888 said:
they currently have kits that bolt directly to the ax5 and ax15 for both the yj and tj. I believe that kits for the automatics for yj and tj as well as for the JK trannys are in development.
The last I'd looked it was only the AX5

Which coupled with 250ft lbs+ is going to be rife with FAIL

posted via IPhone.

#8 ·
dr888 said:
I actually just checked today and go the info i posted above. the ax5 is likely a weak candidate for such a conversion, but the ax15 would probably hold up just fine.
It had been a few weeks since I'd looked over their offerings. You're correct the ax15 would be fine, but even offering a kit based on the ax5 is just stupid

posted via IPhone.

#10 ·
I think I would just go with a 4bt cummins swap. More power potential than the tdi motor.

#11 ·
Drix said:
I think I would just go with a 4bt cummins swap. More power potential than the tdi motor.
The problem with the 4bt is that at over 800lbs installing one pretty much requires you to build a 1ton wrangler

posted via IPhone.

#12 ·
Krochus said:
The problem with the 4bt is that at over 800lbs installing one pretty much requires you to build a 1ton wrangler

posted via IPhone.
True but your gonna drop a but load if money putting either diesel in I guess you would gave to shop around find what deals you can get on either engine. Going buy their full install price... I'm willing to bet one to could a 4bt and do the build for less then they are asking.

#15 ·
LJameson said:
10-15K dollars for 165hp and 265tq? No thanks.
Exactly overpriced. That site also advises using the new tdi motors. But the 99-03 motors are better. No emissions they are not picky with oil like the 04 plus years. And they make better fuel milage the the newer ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.