Viair 400P Automatic Portable Air Compressor - Pros & Cons - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Viair 400P Automatic Portable Air Compressor - Pros & Cons

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #1
RalphTomaccio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Viair 400P Automatic Portable Air Compressor - Pros & Cons

I'm considering adding a portable air compressor to my Jeep. After some research, I've found the Viair 400P Automatic Portable Air Compressor which appears to be a nice unit. I like the idea of a portable vs. permanent install. Right now all I have are stock 32's and don't see that I'll ever go beyond 33's in the future. Thus, the 35" rating of the 400P seems adequate.

http://www.viaircorp.com/400P-A.html

If you have recommendations for a different compressor, please tell me which one and why.

Also, I'd like to know your feelings about portable vs. permanent.

All opinions are most appreciated.

RalphTomaccio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would go 100% duty cycle.
Just because you never know...you may need to fill someone else's tires and a 33% duty cycle would need to "rest". 33% is what...20 minutes of run time at no pressure load . It will take 15 minutes to fill your tires.
The nice thing about permanent mounting is it will always be there in the Jeep. The bad thing about permanent mounting is it will always be there, not here.
jeepster93 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
JoeCitizen
2012 JK Wrangler 

OP: You've got me eye balling this thing now. It's looking good to me for my uses. According to the chart it only takes 2 minutes to fill a 33" tire (which is what I have) from 15 to 30 psi. As long as you wait 30 to 40 seconds between each tire you're good, as far as duty cycle is concerned. Heck, at my age it takes me nearly that long to put the valve cap back on and get to the next tire. Effectively a 100% duty cycle in my world. I never have and never will be deflating 38" tires down to 10 psi to go rock crawling then air them back up for the road. If I was, then I'd lay out the big dollars for a more robust compressor. For a couple hundred bucks it looks good to me and Viair has a good reputation. Doesn't sound like you'll be getting very aggressive with a build or off roading. The good onboard systems get pricy.
JoeCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.