Transporting a lifted jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Transporting a lifted jeep?

Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-10-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
jeepmt
2008 JK Wrangler 

Transporting a lifted jeep?

Hey, i was just wondering if anyone has had any problems transporting a lifted jeep, ill be moving about 2000 miles away and didnt know if theres any issues with the tires being too wide or the rig being to tall to fit on a car transporter or behind the moving truck, btw its an '08 jk aev3.5" with 35x12.50R17LT tires. What i was thinking was putting on the stock wheels and tires, but tell me what you know, thanks
-Kris

jeepmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 05:58 AM   #2
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Best bet is to pull out a tape and do some measuring on the rig and on the trailer. Wouldn't it just suck to have someone on the internet tell you things will fit fine and on moving day find out things don't fit at all?

If after measuring, I was not 100% certain things would work properly, I would do a test load before moving day. See if the trailer provider will let you hook up the trailer and test load the rig on it. This will verify the load and let you see better what kind of tie-downs you'll need.

Putting the smaller stock tires back on for the move will help. Among other things, you'll lower the center of gravity of the loaded trailer. This will help in the curves and cross winds more than you might think.
Unread 07-20-2012, 06:02 AM   #3
CB10101
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm about to do the same thing, anyone have any recomendations of carriers? i only have a 2" lift so not worried about fitting.
CB10101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2012, 03:28 AM   #4
J33Pyj
1995 ZJ 

We just moved to colorado from texas last year and had this same question. We drove our jeep down to the rental lot and they let us put the jeep on a trailer to make sure it would fit. They were more then happy to help us out since they wanted to rent the trailer.
90 yj/ 4:88 gears/33x12.50x15 Super Swamper TRXUS Mud Terrains/K&N air system/2.5L/D30front aussie equip'd/D35 rear / 3in BL/ 2in shackle lift / XRC8 Winch

If you havent broken it, you havent been wheelin
J33Pyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
jeepmt
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB10101 View Post
I'm about to do the same thing, anyone have any recomendations of carriers? i only have a 2" lift so not worried about fitting.
Yeah, most peoples jeeps are under 7', but one company that really had the best customer support was AA-automovers. Good luck
jeepmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had some other stuff to move when I went from NC to WA. I bought an enclosed trailer took off the top and folded the windshield down and packed everything around the jeep. Then I sold the trailer In WA.
95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
Drix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #7
seraph_rapture
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Why not flat tow it behind the Uhaul after pulling the driveshafts?
seraph_rapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
MarkC73

2003 TJ Wrangler 

When I traded my original Jeep (CJ5) I used a standard car trailer and towed it behind a 1/2 ton pickup from Illinois to Arkansas without too many issues, other than it was like hauling a huge brick in the wind. Never used a pro hauler before, and besides, the Jeep was 10' 6" tall from the ground to the top of the roll cage on 38" Swampers; just easier to haul it myself then. I would think a JK with 3.5 inches should be no problem for a pro hauler. Most of the binders they have on the trailers will squat the suspension at least 2" just to ensure the vehicle is tight.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #70
MarkC73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moving , problems

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.