Transporting a factory soft top inside hard top - LJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Transporting a factory soft top inside hard top - LJ

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 06-27-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
ToeRex
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Transporting a factory soft top inside hard top - LJ

So I'm buying a factory soft top this weekend, but am having to make a hefty drive to pick it up. My '06 LJ has a hard top on it currently. I will not be able to take the hard top off and install the soft top on location. I feel like I should have no problems fitting the soft top (frame and cloth) in the back with the rear seat removed, but of course it would really suck to get there and it not fit. Anybody transported a soft top inside a hard top before? Previous posts indicate it's possible, but some say it's not. In particular, anyone done this in an LJ? Seems like the longer back end should make this possible. Thanks!

ToeRex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
larjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Tie the frame to the hardtop roof.
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

the soft top frame doesn't fit inside w/ the hardtop well unless you lift the hard top up and slide the top in like it came in the "dual top" setup from the factory. been there, tried that.

when i bought my soft top used, me and the seller tried to get it in the back, and we gave up. he put it in the back of his pickup and followed me home.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
ToeRex
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
when i bought my soft top used, me and the seller tried to get it in the back, and we gave up. he put it in the back of his pickup and followed me home.
Thanks for the input. Do you think it would make a difference if the passenger seat were taken out?
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeRex View Post
Thanks for the input. Do you think it would make a difference if the passenger seat were taken out?
absolutely not. it's a width problem. it don't fit through the hole.....
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
ToeRex
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
absolutely not. it's a width problem. it don't fit through the hole.....
Got it, that's where I was worried. Good to know before I embark. Think I'll borrow a pickup for this. Thanks so much.
Unread 06-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

When my dad got his 99 TJ, the whole family came with (my dad, mom, sister and me) and we fit the soft top and all hardware for it inside the vehicle; as well as four suitcases (we were travelling and my dad saw a jeep he couldnt pass up at the dealership ). It wasnt comfortable in the back with me and my sister, but keep in mind; I was 14 and she was 12; so we werent adults.
Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:44 AM   #8
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

The LJ soft top will fit inside the LJ hard top with out removing the hard top. Just turn it side ways with it collapsed and suddenly the width issue is no longer a problem. Remove the rear seat and be prepared to have the front seats moved forward if you are tall. This was not a problem for my height since I already sit far enough forward.
LimeLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
lj , soft top , transport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.