JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Wrangler General Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/)
-   -   Transporting a factory soft top inside hard top - LJ (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/transporting-factory-soft-top-inside-hard-top-lj-1542170/)

ToeRex 06-27-2013 05:32 PM

Transporting a factory soft top inside hard top - LJ

So I'm buying a factory soft top this weekend, but am having to make a hefty drive to pick it up. My '06 LJ has a hard top on it currently. I will not be able to take the hard top off and install the soft top on location. I feel like I should have no problems fitting the soft top (frame and cloth) in the back with the rear seat removed, but of course it would really suck to get there and it not fit. Anybody transported a soft top inside a hard top before? Previous posts indicate it's possible, but some say it's not. In particular, anyone done this in an LJ? Seems like the longer back end should make this possible. Thanks!

larjeep 06-27-2013 06:23 PM

Tie the frame to the hardtop roof.

Unlimited04 06-27-2013 06:36 PM

the soft top frame doesn't fit inside w/ the hardtop well unless you lift the hard top up and slide the top in like it came in the "dual top" setup from the factory. been there, tried that.

when i bought my soft top used, me and the seller tried to get it in the back, and we gave up. he put it in the back of his pickup and followed me home.

ToeRex 06-27-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unlimited04 (Post 15615560)
when i bought my soft top used, me and the seller tried to get it in the back, and we gave up. he put it in the back of his pickup and followed me home.

Thanks for the input. Do you think it would make a difference if the passenger seat were taken out?

Unlimited04 06-27-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToeRex (Post 15615585)
Thanks for the input. Do you think it would make a difference if the passenger seat were taken out?

absolutely not. it's a width problem. it don't fit through the hole.....

ToeRex 06-27-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unlimited04 (Post 15615595)
absolutely not. it's a width problem. it don't fit through the hole.....

Got it, that's where I was worried. Good to know before I embark. Think I'll borrow a pickup for this. Thanks so much.

Maverickxeo 06-28-2013 11:52 AM

When my dad got his 99 TJ, the whole family came with (my dad, mom, sister and me) and we fit the soft top and all hardware for it inside the vehicle; as well as four suitcases (we were travelling and my dad saw a jeep he couldnt pass up at the dealership :laugh:). It wasnt comfortable in the back with me and my sister, but keep in mind; I was 14 and she was 12; so we werent adults.

LimeLJ 06-28-2013 11:44 PM

The LJ soft top will fit inside the LJ hard top with out removing the hard top. Just turn it side ways with it collapsed and suddenly the width issue is no longer a problem. Remove the rear seat and be prepared to have the front seats moved forward if you are tall. This was not a problem for my height since I already sit far enough forward.

The time now is 02:34 AM.