Transmission Gauge Leaking, Solution?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Transmission Gauge Leaking, Solution??

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitLong Arm kits for all JK models from Clayton Off Road

Unread 07-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #16
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ

With my experience with compression fittings, used on AC systems. All you need to do is tighten it up. Put 2 wrenches on it and go for it. It won't take that much more umph to seal it up.
The lines are fine, it's the sender unit itself

catnip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #17
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Then order another sending unit and be done with it. But your pic with the arrow pointed to it says the fitting is not tight enough.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #18
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

To fix your problem, either try and tighten up the fitting more. Or, unscrew it and add a wrap or two of Teflon tape to the threads and retighten.
Unread 07-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #19
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well I ended up plugging the hole, ended up stopping the leak. Added some tranny fluid to it but I added a bit more than I should have, what's a good way to get some out without dropping the pan. There's enough extra in there that it probably isn't safe to keep in there.

Just one problem after another
Unread 07-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #20
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip15 View Post
Well I ended up plugging the hole, ended up stopping the leak. Added some tranny fluid to it but I added a bit more than I should have, what's a good way to get some out without dropping the pan. There's enough extra in there that it probably isn't safe to keep in there.

Just one problem after another
Why not just unplug the hole and allow just enough ATF to come back out?
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #21
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Why not just unplug the hole and allow just enough ATF to come out?
I guess I could I thought of that but I just don't want to risk making it leak again that was a horrible nightmare
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #22
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I guess I could I thought of that but I just don't want to risk making it leak again that was a horrible nightmare
I wish I could understand your problem. I have that exact same setup on mine. No leaks. Though I did have to make sure the compression fittings were really tight and I used 1 wrap of Teflon tape around the threads on the sending unit.
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #23
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I wish I could understand your problem. I have that exact same setup on mine. No leaks. Though I did have to make sure the compression fittings were really tight and I used 1 wrap of Teflon tape around the threads on the sending unit.
It's hard to explain lol basically the sending unit is attached to that thin metal hose line with the fluid in it that warms up. When I go to turn the sending unit threads into the T fitting, it is snug (and wrapped in Teflon). The problem is, the thin metal line can be pushed up or down in the unit itself. When this happens, it creates an opening causing a leak.
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #24
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It's hard to explain lol basically the sending unit is attached to that thin metal hose line with the fluid in it that warms up. When I go to turn the sending unit threads into the T fitting, it is snug (and wrapped in Teflon). The problem is, the thin metal line can be pushed up or down in the unit itself. When this happens, it creates an opening causing a leak.
And that line is a compression fitting? On mine the sending unit screws into the T fitting and the electrical connection is made at the end. Nothing moves. You got the B&M kit?
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #25
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

On your last pic of your first post, what is under the black wire loom? Where does it go?
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #26
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

And that line is a compression fitting? On mine the sending unit screws into the T fitting and the electrical connection is made at the end. Nothing moves. You got the B&M kit?
No it is not, simply screws in. I have a sunpro mechanical gauge. I had a B&M, but it only lasted a year ended up being defective. I just have bad luck with gauges lol
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #27
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No it is not, simply screws in. I have a sunpro mechanical gauge. I had a B&M, but it only lasted a year ended up being defective. I just have bad luck with gauges lol
Well if it isn't compression, then it's a flare fitting and the flare is not big enough to seal the line. That or it is a mixed match, meaning the line is a flare fitting going into a "T" fitting for compression fittings.
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #28
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Was this a kit for transmissions or was it something you pieced together?
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #29
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Was this a kit for transmissions or was it something you pieced together?
It is a oil temperature gauge, same concept though. It wasn't specifically labeled Trans temp but regardless it didnt leak for over a month. Didnt start until after my wheeling trip
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #30
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Sunpro CP8207 Mechanical Water/Oil Temperature Styleline Gauge - White Dial
http://amzn.com/B00029K018

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.