Transmission Gauge Leaking, Solution?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 31 Old 07-03-2013, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
catnip15
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Roseville
Posts: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ

With my experience with compression fittings, used on AC systems. All you need to do is tighten it up. Put 2 wrenches on it and go for it. It won't take that much more umph to seal it up.
The lines are fine, it's the sender unit itself


My Build Thread

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/stubby-02-tj-build-thread-dd-2523578/
catnip15 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 31 Old 07-03-2013, 06:04 PM
JBTJ
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 11,537
Then order another sending unit and be done with it. But your pic with the arrow pointed to it says the fitting is not tight enough.
JBTJ is offline  
post #18 of 31 Old 07-03-2013, 06:38 PM
JBTJ
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 11,537
To fix your problem, either try and tighten up the fitting more. Or, unscrew it and add a wrap or two of Teflon tape to the threads and retighten.
JBTJ is offline  
post #19 of 31 Old 07-05-2013, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
catnip15
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Roseville
Posts: 555
Well I ended up plugging the hole, ended up stopping the leak. Added some tranny fluid to it but I added a bit more than I should have, what's a good way to get some out without dropping the pan. There's enough extra in there that it probably isn't safe to keep in there.

Just one problem after another

My Build Thread

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/stubby-02-tj-build-thread-dd-2523578/
catnip15 is online now  
post #20 of 31 Old 07-05-2013, 08:55 AM
JBTJ
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 11,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip15 View Post
Well I ended up plugging the hole, ended up stopping the leak. Added some tranny fluid to it but I added a bit more than I should have, what's a good way to get some out without dropping the pan. There's enough extra in there that it probably isn't safe to keep in there.

Just one problem after another
Why not just unplug the hole and allow just enough ATF to come back out?
JBTJ is offline  
post #21 of 31 Old 07-05-2013, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
catnip15
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Roseville
Posts: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ

Why not just unplug the hole and allow just enough ATF to come out?
I guess I could I thought of that but I just don't want to risk making it leak again that was a horrible nightmare

My Build Thread

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/stubby-02-tj-build-thread-dd-2523578/
catnip15 is online now  
post #22 of 31 Old 07-05-2013, 09:16 AM
JBTJ
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 11,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip15 View Post
I guess I could I thought of that but I just don't want to risk making it leak again that was a horrible nightmare
I wish I could understand your problem. I have that exact same setup on mine. No leaks. Though I did have to make sure the compression fittings were really tight and I used 1 wrap of Teflon tape around the threads on the sending unit.
JBTJ is offline  
post #23 of 31 Old 07-05-2013, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
catnip15
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Roseville
Posts: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ

I wish I could understand your problem. I have that exact same setup on mine. No leaks. Though I did have to make sure the compression fittings were really tight and I used 1 wrap of Teflon tape around the threads on the sending unit.
It's hard to explain lol basically the sending unit is attached to that thin metal hose line with the fluid in it that warms up. When I go to turn the sending unit threads into the T fitting, it is snug (and wrapped in Teflon). The problem is, the thin metal line can be pushed up or down in the unit itself. When this happens, it creates an opening causing a leak.

My Build Thread

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/stubby-02-tj-build-thread-dd-2523578/
catnip15 is online now  
post #24 of 31 Old 07-05-2013, 10:02 AM
JBTJ
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 11,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip15 View Post
It's hard to explain lol basically the sending unit is attached to that thin metal hose line with the fluid in it that warms up. When I go to turn the sending unit threads into the T fitting, it is snug (and wrapped in Teflon). The problem is, the thin metal line can be pushed up or down in the unit itself. When this happens, it creates an opening causing a leak.
And that line is a compression fitting? On mine the sending unit screws into the T fitting and the electrical connection is made at the end. Nothing moves. You got the B&M kit?
JBTJ is offline  
post #25 of 31 Old 07-05-2013, 10:04 AM
JBTJ
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 11,537
On your last pic of your first post, what is under the black wire loom? Where does it go?
JBTJ is offline  
post #26 of 31 Old 07-05-2013, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
catnip15
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Roseville
Posts: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ

And that line is a compression fitting? On mine the sending unit screws into the T fitting and the electrical connection is made at the end. Nothing moves. You got the B&M kit?
No it is not, simply screws in. I have a sunpro mechanical gauge. I had a B&M, but it only lasted a year ended up being defective. I just have bad luck with gauges lol

My Build Thread

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/stubby-02-tj-build-thread-dd-2523578/
catnip15 is online now  
post #27 of 31 Old 07-05-2013, 10:11 AM
JBTJ
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 11,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip15 View Post
No it is not, simply screws in. I have a sunpro mechanical gauge. I had a B&M, but it only lasted a year ended up being defective. I just have bad luck with gauges lol
Well if it isn't compression, then it's a flare fitting and the flare is not big enough to seal the line. That or it is a mixed match, meaning the line is a flare fitting going into a "T" fitting for compression fittings.
JBTJ is offline  
post #28 of 31 Old 07-05-2013, 10:16 AM
JBTJ
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 11,537
Was this a kit for transmissions or was it something you pieced together?
JBTJ is offline  
post #29 of 31 Old 07-05-2013, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
catnip15
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Roseville
Posts: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ
Was this a kit for transmissions or was it something you pieced together?
It is a oil temperature gauge, same concept though. It wasn't specifically labeled Trans temp but regardless it didnt leak for over a month. Didnt start until after my wheeling trip

My Build Thread

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/stubby-02-tj-build-thread-dd-2523578/
catnip15 is online now  
post #30 of 31 Old 07-05-2013, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
catnip15
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Roseville
Posts: 555
Sunpro CP8207 Mechanical Water/Oil Temperature Styleline Gauge - White Dial
http://amzn.com/B00029K018

My Build Thread

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/stubby-02-tj-build-thread-dd-2523578/
catnip15 is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome