Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Trailer for a jeep wrangler

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  armyRN 
#1 ·
I have the 2000 4.0 automatic TJ jeep Wrangler. Thinking about getting a small trailer to pull behind it on my rock hunting excursions, but would like to get the largest one I can safely tow. I have the hitch with the larger size receiver. What size trailer do you pull safely behind yours? Is it steel or aluminum? What is the max LBS you think this style wrangler should tow?

#8 ·
they are light i would get a shorter one for off road, add some sides. people get those and then add larger axles or tires. low cost start. I have had a full pallet of tile on the Lowes trailer and towed it with the jk. Just a few miles the weight all in was 2500. drove ok but town speed is 45 max. most is 35/25. would not want to be going down any steep road. those things have no brakes. though you could drop to low in a pinch.

my lowes trailer is more a take a load to the dump kinda trailer. i used thin 1/2 ply over the floors expanded metal and 2' sides of 1/2

Well my Jeep trailer that my Jeep rides on is heaver than a Jk can tow empty. But i have a 7.3 that does that and i can drag it up ice house, courtright res. no trouble.

#13 ·
Looks really good Jimbo.

I have a 4x8 HF trailer that I widened to 5" so I can put my truck bed tent in it. It's probably about #300 with the rails, tool box and decking. I pulled it on the trails at Uwharrie on the last work day with my 12 JK 2 door and had no issues other than a busted tail light. I was on trails that I really shouldn't have been on with it so a busted tail light is nothing.

#14 ·
TJs are rated to tow 2000#. Thats trailer plus load. I do that daily with either my 5x10 cargo trailer full of tools or my 5x10 open trailer with demolition material or firewood.

I'd recommend electric trailer brakes too. Check your state law. California requires trailer brakes at 1500#. Alaska at 5000#. But they really make a difference on any trailer over 1000# behind a TJ.

Attachments

#15 ·
Good advice here already, but I'll also mention that I wouldn't tow much with a TJ and that far without the trailer having it's own brakes. Mopar sells a 7-way wiring harness for an LJ that can be modified to fit a TJ, which is a must.

The trailer I tow is about 1100#s loaded, plus with a passenger and stuff in my Jeep, say about 1500#s is my total weight. Generally it tows great, although I keep the overdrive off and it eats a little more gas. It does struggle some on mountain passes (like in Colorado), but nothing too bad. It's just no V8!

I've got a link in my signature on my trailer build...

#17 ·
The old WWII trailers' tub measured 40" x 72". For taking off-road, I'd go with 40" x 60" tub. You can cut-down a HF 4x8' trailer to these dimensions. See trailer build in my signature below.

As mentioned previously, a TJ is really only designed to pull 2000lbs (trailer and cargo). Being tall and having a short wheelbase, electric brakes do help.

Jeep electric brake wiring kit: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/etrailer/ETBC7.html (what I wired my Jeep TJ with).

Electric brake controller (not a cheap one, but very user and vehicle friendly): https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Tekonsha/90195.html
etrailer sells many different electric brake controllers with a wide price range, but the one linked above is the one I use and recommend.

The trailer pictured below only measures 40" x 50" (tub base), but you'd be amazed how much stuff you can put into one of these; put a rack on top of the trailer and you can carry even more stuff. Steel channel frame (with angle iron reinforcements) based off a 4' Harbor Freight-type trailer, and a diamond plate aluminum box. It is really nice to have a closing sealed lid on the trailer.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.